Please sign in to post.

Phone Company Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I am planning my first trip to Europe this summer, and I was wondering if anybody knows of a good mobile-network operator for continent-wide access and communication to Canada. The places I plan to be visiting are Germany, Hungary, Serbia, and Greece. Thanks!

Posted by
32222 posts

Simeon,

To begin with, you might want to delete your duplicate thread on this subject, so that all replies are kept in the same place.

Before offering suggestions, a bit of further information would be helpful.....

• Do you presently have cell coverage in Canada, and if so which network?
  • What type of usage are you planning in Europe - voice, text, data? How much of each?
  • How long will you be in Europe?
  • What type of phone are you using? Is it unlocked?

The easiest solution (although not usually the cheapest) would be to simply use international roaming with your home network provider.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you for the reply, Ken,

I am thinking of leaving for the trip in mid-June, it will be about 3-4 weeks. Talk and Data is what I'm looking for, text isn't that important. I am currently on a plan with Wind.

Posted by
32222 posts

Simeon,

What type of phone do you have and is it unlocked? Also are you on a PAYG account or a monthly pay account?

You might want to phone Freedom Mobile / WIND to get the details on their international roaming accounts. If that option is available to you, it will likely be the easiest and simplest way to go.

I'm with Rogers and have been using their Roam Like Home plan for the last few years and although it's expensive, it really works well. I tend to keep the cellular data "off" as much as possible and use the Wi-Fi in hotels. That's important so that I don't exceed the data limit.