Please sign in to post.

Phone cards

ok i am going to be taking my cell to europe but i was woundering if i can use a phone card to call home? like the ones you would buy to call to another country...

Posted by
416 posts

Phone cards can generally be purchased at any post office in Europe and yes, you can use them to phone home. If you haven't purchased it already, I suggest getting Rick Steves book, Europe Through The Back Door and reading it thoroughly. All of the questions you have asked so far are answered in that book. You might also do a search of this site for information before posting questions as these topics have been covered many times before.

Posted by
416 posts

Mily,

I just pushed a topic to the top of General Europe on a better way to search the helpline in case you are having difficulty finding answers to questions you might have. Excellent information.

Posted by
12040 posts

And check to make sure your cell phone is compatable with European technical standards. If not, a phone card won't help.

Posted by
11507 posts

In Paris you can easily get a phone card that works from a pay phone, I had no problems. I do not travel with a cell phone.

Posted by
92 posts

Last summer in Germany, on the recommendation of our tour guide, I bought a phone card at the local post office for 10 euro. We were advised not to call from the hotel phone as they might add additional charges. Used from a pay phone, it expired after 10 min. of calling to the US. At 1 euro per minute, that seems high to me. A fellow traveler bought a calling card at a tobacco shop and paid 17 cents (euro cents) for a minute to the US. Next time, I won't buy at a post office.