Please sign in to post.

Passport Question

My wife and I are traveling to London, Paris, and Amsterdam next month. We just renewed our passports and got all that taken care of. My question: Will we get our passports stamped in all three places? We are flying from US to London, so I assume we will get them stamped upon entering London, but then we are taking Eurostar from London to Paris, and Thalys train from Paris to Amsterdam, and flying Amsterdam-Munich (3hr layover)-US on the way home. I would love to get stamps from all places (even our quick stop in Munich) if possible....

Posted by
518 posts

Unfortunately, you'll only get stamped upon entering the EU through London and existing out of Munich. Going from country to country within has been seamless for many years now, which means, no stamps :(

Posted by
20253 posts

You will get it stamped when you arrive in London for the U.K. Then when you go through passport control at St Pancras station before you board the Eurostar, you get a Schengen zone entry stamp. You will get a Schengen exit stamp before boarding the Munich flight back to the US. That's it. You can't get souvenir passport stamps anymore. They are legal entries into your passport. France, Netherlands, and Germany are all in the Schengen Treaty zone, so you get one stamp when you enter and one when you exit. Anything else would be considered a "defacement" of your passport.

Posted by
48 posts

So to be clear:
Stamp upon entering London
Stamp upon entering Shengen St. Pancras/Paris Nord
Stamp upon leaving Shengen in MUC

Correct?

Posted by
23337 posts

No, incorrect. Sam is correct. EU and Schengen zone are two different identities but they overlap somewhat. London is currently a part of the European Union but not part of Schengen zone. You will get an entry and exit stamp for Great Britian. You will get an exit stamp in Munich since you are leaving the Schengen zone and a Schengen entry stamp in London just prior to boarding the Eurostar. No stamps in Paris or Amsterdam. EU is an economic agreement and Schengen is immigration and customs agreement.

PS Passport stamp are not what they used to be. The Schengen entry stamp in London is about the size of a quarter.

Posted by
48 posts

Okay, so:

UK Entry stamp at LHR
UK Exit Stamp at St. Pancras
Shengen Entry Stamp at St. Pancras
Shengen Exit Stamp at MUC

Posted by
23337 posts

Now you have it. Small note, it is Schengen zone

PS One more comment. It is absolutely critical that your entry and exit stamps match up. There is a limit of 90 days out of 180 days that you can be in the Schengen zone. You do not want an open entry stamp with no exit stamp.

Posted by
20253 posts

Not sure about a UK exit stamp at St Pancras, somebody with first-hand experience can elaborate. I assumed that a Schengen entry stamp at St Pancras would automatically imply a UK exit, but I could be wrong.

Posted by
2516 posts

I'm happy to be proved wrong but I don't think you get an exit stamp when leaving the UK.

Posted by
48 posts

Aaaand I can't spell. :)

Thanks all! Was just curious as to what I would be getting! It's my first time heading out of the country (minus once across the Arizona/Mexico border), so I'm pretty excited! 3 days in London, 4 days in Paris, and 3 days in Amsterdam!

Posted by
23337 posts

It is a combined stamp. It is in French. Shows the entry arrow in the box, shows a train, and has LFT LONDRES A151 next to the entry box. Assume the A151 refers to St. Pancras but there is no other information as where the stamp was given.

Posted by
8889 posts

Kevin, The UK does not do exit stamps, only entry. It is the responsibility of the transport company to check your passport and log it in a database, but they don't stamp it.
You first list was correct, you will get three passport stamps (assuming you are not an EU/Schengen citizen, who never have their passports stamped):

• UK entry stamp at the airport.
  • UK exit - passport checked by Eurostar staff at St Pancras, but NO stamp.
  • Schengen entry - stamp by a French border guard at St Pancras, just walk off the train at Paris.
  • Schengen exit - stamp by a German border guard at Munich airport.

Train Paris to Amsterdam, no ID checks at all (France/Belgium and Belgium/Netherlands borders).
Flight Amsterdam to Munich, ID check by the airline, you will need to show your passport, but only as ID.

Posted by
15213 posts

Great Britain does not give exit stamps. The stamp you get at ST. Pancras is your entrance stamp into Schengen.

Posted by
9363 posts

I was curious, so I looked at my passport for stamps from a trip a couple of years ago. I have an entry stamp at Heathrow. I then took a train to Scotland, then flew to Barcelona, where I got an entry stamp. Then I took a train to Madrid. I have an exit stamp from Madrid and an entry stamp at Gatwick. I left the next day from Heathrow, but have no further stamps. So:

• entry stamp Heathrow
  • entry stamp Barcelona
  • exit stamp Madrid
  • entry stamp Gatwick
Posted by
15602 posts

To be clearer, at St. Pancras you interface with French immigration officials, not British ones. When you leave the train, you just walk out the station doors, no passport control, no customs.