Please sign in to post.

Passport question

This is a question for anyone who's recently renewed a passport.

My husband's US passport expires in October 2021, and he has a 10-year visa in it for a certain country we want to revisit. My question is, when you renew a passport, do they return you the expired one? I know they used to, so my question is, are they still doing that? Otherwise we will have a huge hassle to get another visa for him. (Not to mention the $300 or so.)

Thank you.

Posted by
27111 posts

I have always had to send in my old passport, but it was always returned to me after the new one was processed. I think it came in a separate mailing. I haven't heard of a change in that procedure, but my last new passport was several years ago. I hope we'll hear from someone who has needed to renew within the last 12 months, just to be sure.

Posted by
7662 posts

I am not an authority on this issue, but I believe that you can take the old passport with you and show the still valid visa.

We have been to China twice and the last time they issued us a 10 year visa and our visa company told us the visa was still good after the old passport expired.

However, suggest you check this out with Chinese embassy or the visa company that issued you the visa.

Posted by
99 posts

I just recently renewed my passport, yes they returned the old one.

Posted by
381 posts

I just recently renewed my passport, yes they returned the old one.

Thanks, Holly. Perfect answer, so no need for any more replies.

Posted by
12172 posts

Yes, they return the old one. In the past, my old one always had a hole punched in it (assume to show it was no longer valid?). My last one didn't have a hole punched in it (maybe because it was already expired?) They arrive in the mail in two separate envelopes, mine came either on the same day or within a day of each other.

As far as I know the visa, however, won't come with the new passport. You will have to go through the normal procedures to get a new visa added to your new passport. I haven't needed one in awhile so it's been years since I mailed my passport to request a visa.

Posted by
14994 posts

Yes, they will return your old passport.

If you haven't already done so, contact the visa issuing country's closest consulate to you to make sure they will still honor the visa. Don't rely on information given here.