Please sign in to post.

Passport Question

I have a trip to Italy all planned out, non-refundable plane tickets purchased & reservations made. I just read in Rick Steve's that I have to have a passport valid for at least 6 months after my return date. Does anyone know if this was a precaution, or a rule? I'm scheduled to depart here on May 6 & return on May 15. My passport expires of November 2. Just shy of the 6 month date.

If it is a strict rule, how long would it take to expedite?

Thanks.

Posted by
7209 posts

It's a rule that's not uniformly enforced. It's not worth taking the risk. Get it fixed ASAP, expedited, whatever the cost.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well, I would have it fixed, but honestly, we are talking about less then two weeks, so I doubt there would be a fuss.
Have you looked on the Italian Customs and Immmigration site?

Posted by
11507 posts

Actually I just went on a site that said three months after returning.. not six. I don't think six is right. I know its only 3 for France.

Posted by
120 posts

Thanks for the responses.

I have not looked on the Italian Customs site. I've been searching for an hour now, and it seems that there's a lot of confusion about the issue. Some people say 6 months, some say 3 months. Some even go so far as to say 2 days.

Has anyone had any problems (or successes) with traveling on a soon to expire passport?

Thanks.

Posted by
7899 posts

I would not call it a firm rule. Many countries actually express it as 90 days (3 months) validity after your return...which then many interpret as the 90 days after you return plus your maximum 90 days of Visa that many countries give you...for a total of six months validity upon departure...which then Rick suggests "be safe and have plenty of cushion". I suppose technically, as long as you have a valid passport, they can't jail or deport you. So what can happen? I have seen reports that airlines may deny you boarding with less than six months validity. Yes, you can carry a copy of the requirements with you, you can argue, but they will usually win. If you get past them, I really do not hear much about immigration in other countries denying entrance...maybe if you had less than 3 months validity, but with a valid return ticket, you may be fine. Finally, with a valid passport, they will always allow you to leave, and the US will always allow you entry. So in the end, I suggest you call the airline you are flying, and see if you will violate any of their policies, If they say no, get a name, maybe an inquiry number, and carry that to the airport.

Posted by
120 posts

Thank you for the responses.

I've been trying to determine if I should renew or not, but it seems that every official source I speak to, say I should be ok, yet I'm still somewhat worried.

I spoke to the Italian Embassy in Washington, and they confirmed it needs to be valid 90 days after my return date.

I spoke to Alitalia, and they said my passport only needs to be valid when I return to the US(no time requirements).

The US Department of State webpage also says 90 days after return date per the Shengen agreement of 1995:
"American citizens traveling for business or tourism are not required to have a visa for this initial entry into the Schengen area, but must have a passport valid three months beyond the proposed stay. (For a two week business trip, the passport must be valid for four months, for a two month holiday the passport must be valid for five months, for example.)"

I went to the Passport agency at the post office, and they said my passport must be valid when I return and that was the only requirement to enter Italy. They also said that since I have to relinquish my current passport, I would be better to renew once I get back rather than doing it now to ensure I have a passport when traveling.

Has anyone been had a similar circumstance, and either been stopped or allowed to board the plane?

Posted by
10344 posts

Antuany: Good question, and you've done a lot of work on this. Let's see what people say, if there's anything left to say that hasn't already been said on one of the two threads you've posted this on. (Or do we all give up?)Ultimately, in the end, no one here can give you a guarantee of what the airline will say or do the morning of your trip when you get to the counter. And the airline will win any argument that ensues.If there's no time for you to do an expedited passport renewal, then that pretty much narrows your choices.But just because you don't hear from anyone, on this forum, who has been denied boarding because of this issue, you probably don't want to assume, from that, that it means it has not happened. This is a small forum with probably about 50 or 100 people reading your question. Not exactly a representative sampling. And human nature being what it is, people are more inclined to post their trip successes rather than their trip disasters for others to read.

Posted by
1589 posts

Surely ( don't call me Shirley! ) you will travel again. Get it renewed now and be done with the concern. Have a great trip!

Posted by
120 posts

Well, this has been worrying me quite a bit, but I think I've done my due dillagence. As noted above, every official resource from the US Dept. of State website to an e-mail & phone call to the Italian Consulate in Washington, and call to both the headquarters & terminal of the airline (Alitalia), say 90 days.

I may have time to get an expedited passport (the website's saying 2-3 weeks, which would be cutting it close), but honestly if I had the nearly $200 to expedite a new one, I would rather spend it on the trip. Especially when I can spend less than half of that when I return to renew.

I may give another person from Alitalia a call just to make sure it's uniform knowledge, but I don't think I am breaking any rules with 5 1/2 months validity after I return, so I will probably NOT renew until I get back.

Posted by
9109 posts

I've traveled to Europe twice with my passport under six months validity, and even once under the 90 days limit, and had no problems. If I were in you shoes I wouldn't worry about it, and use your current passport.

Posted by
120 posts

Thanks Michael. That makes me feel a lot better.

I've heard from a few people that get through with no problem, but then there are all of those "I've heard about airlines not letting people board," which make me worry.

Posted by
9109 posts

In my case I use Continental Airlines, and they allow e-tickets for international flights. So the airline only looks at my passport briefly just before boarding the aircraft, thus they don't seem to even check for it.

Posted by
51 posts

I traveled to Rome in January taking a group of 8 students. I had the same question/concern (and had two students with non-US passports, one that was going to expire in less than 6 months!). I also contacted the US Dept. of State and the Italian Consulate. I was told by all that it was 90 days. This is because a tourist visa is only allowable up to 90 days in Italy. We had no problems with passports or visas on our trip, including the one that expired in 4 months. But, it's not a bad idea to go through the steps of renewal so you are ahead of the game for your next trip. :-) Have fun on your trip.

Posted by
120 posts

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but with all the negative reviews about the customer service of Alitalia in the "To the Boot" section, I'm now planning to go to the post office tomorrow morning & try to expedite the passport. The US Dept of State says it's currently taking 2-3 weeks. Hopefully it's closer to the 2 weeks. 3 weeks would be cutting it too close for comfort since I'm departing Chicago on May 6.

Regardless of what documentation I bring from the US Dept of State or Italian Consulate, I'm just not sure how helpful, reasonable, or willing to listen Alitalia would be if they erroneously assume it's 6 months validity beyond my return date in lieu of the required 3.

Posted by
36 posts

only took one week to get my passport renewed. non-expedited.