Please sign in to post.

passport control

I will be flying from Miami to London, the next day I will fly to Berlin, will there be passport control from london to berlin? After a few day's I fly to Italy and then back to London, Do they stamp my passport at all? Do I even need it after I land in London? Thanks in advance!

Posted by
15061 posts

You wrote "the next day I will fly to Berlin." Does that mean you will be spending the night in London? IF so, you will have to go through passport control in London when you arrive from Miami. And as Michael wrote, you will then have passport control in Berlin, back in London, and of course, when you return to Miami. You passport will probably be stamped in London and Berlin.

Posted by
9100 posts

Passport control will be in Berlin. But all transfer passengers have to go through a security check in London. At this security check they will want to look at your passport and compare it to the name on your boarding pass...just like the TSA does in the US. From Berlin into Italy no passport check, but when your arrive back in London you will have to show your passport.

Posted by
1158 posts

Every time you fly to a country you will get your passport stamped, unless they missed it, like it happened to me once in Italy.
You will need your passport any time you travel to a foreign country. That's your ID. I always make a copy of my passport just in case the police ask me.

Posted by
275 posts

Whether you get your passport stamped in London on either leg will depend on whether you are leaving the airport. It sounds like you are staying overnight at London on the first leg, and if so your passport will be stamped. It is not clear whether you are staying in London on the return leg. If you are only transitting through the airport, as mentioned above, they may check your passport, but not stamp it.

You will need to show your passport at Berlin regardless, since the UK is not part of the Schengen zone.

Posted by
12040 posts

Just so we're all using the same terms here: "passport control" is the formal check done by a country's immigration service, in which your passport gets stamped. Anything else is just a passport "check" and doesn't act as an official entry marker into that country. So, when you transit through London, provided you don't leave the airport, your passport will be checked at a security point, but not stamped. You'll get your official entry stamp when you land in Berlin. Because Germany and Italy are both signatories of the Schengen Treaty (the UK is not), you only get your passport stamped once upon entry into the Schengen zone. If you stay in London after Italy, they'll stamp it there as well.