Please sign in to post.

Passport

Does anyone have a recent experience with applying for a passport without expedited service? I am curious about wait time.....I have read official web answer, but was hoping for a recent experience. Thanks.

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Gillie. My old passport expired in November 2008 and I sent it in to be renewed in October 2008. I think it took about a month from the time I mailed it to the time I received the new one. They do send your old passport back separately; in my case I didn't receive it until a couple weeks after the new one came. I think that's normal, though.

Posted by
2023 posts

Not too recent but my PP was due to expire 05/10 and I applied for new one 02/10. It took three weeks and the old PP was returned at the same time. I think it cost $80 or $90.

Posted by
9363 posts

I renewed mine just before the rate increase in July. It took exactly six weeks to arrive, but that was probably slower than it would be now because of the influx of others trying to beat the rate increase.

Posted by
361 posts

Gillie, In early October of this year I sent mine in and got it back in 10 days, I live in California and the application and old passport went across country to Philadelphia. I did NOT use the expedited service but did send it Priority Mail. Three things have occurred: 1.) The U.S. goverment wants your dough, so processing times have been sped up 2.) with the higher fee for passport renewal not as many people can opt to pay it so less are applying for one AND, 3.) although the numbers are up not as many people are traveling.

Posted by
99 posts

Hi Gillie, I just got mine for the first time. It took 2 1/2 weeks from the time I went to post office to send it in till I got it in the mail. And that was this month. I was surprised for the fast turn around since it was holiday season.

Posted by
1358 posts

Check, too, about where you'll apply for your passports. When I got my daughter's first one 2 years ago, I had to make an appointment at the post office, and not just walk in. And it took a couple of weeks to get an appointment.

Posted by
2783 posts

My daughter just applied for a passport for herself and her daughter just over four weeks ago and she just got them back two days ago.

Posted by
12172 posts

My experience was almost exactly the same as Susan's. Mine expired 5/10 so I needed to reup. I sent it in January and had it back in about three weeks without paying for expedited service. If you order it outside the pre-vacation rush, the turn-around time is really good. As you approach June, the backlog may require having it expedited.

Posted by
34 posts

Answering my own question...... I mailed the application in on December 21, and received new passport today....January 7. Pretty amazing considering the two long holiday weekends involved.