Please sign in to post.

Paris Trip late March 2014

My wife and I will be traveling to Paris for the first time, what type of clothing is appropriate/comfortable for that time of year?

Posted by
33457 posts

Considerably colder than Dallas.

Hard to predict this year - could be sunny, could be rainy.

I've had my knuckles rapped speaking about fashion because of being not female so I'll stay out of that discussion.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks, we'll try to do some weather related research. I've been told the Fashion Police patrol the responses on the site. We live in Los Angeles (still warm)

Posted by
1068 posts

Nigel's right about the weather. When we go in March or even April I do the "light layers" approach, take a classic trench/rain coat, a pair of shoes that will stand up to rain, and a brelly. Since it can be sunny and breezy and in the morning, then warmer and damp in the afternoon - or belting cold rain in the morning and sunny, warm and dry in the afternoon - your wardrobe should be flexible.

The "fashion police" can say what they want - you won't blend in in Paris. If you're at all fashion-sensitive, however, you might feel under-dressed. Not every Parisian looks like they stepped out of the pages of Details, but a lot of them do.

If you pack sensible, weather-appropriate clothing and then feel the need to add a bit of European flair so you don't feel frumpy while rambling the Grands Boulevards and hanging out in romantic sidewalk cafes, it's an opportunity to shop! Paris is loaded with "fast fashion" stores like C&A or H&M on the rue de Rivoli (or if you're flush, you could try Au Printemps or Galleries Lafayettes) where you can have a genuine local shopping experience and pick up a jazzy scarf, a cute hat, or a bright raincoat as a souvenir!

Posted by
8293 posts

Terry, the day before you leave home get a 10 day weather forecast on the web to give you an idea of what to expect. The kiosks outside of Printemps (department store) on Boul Haussman will certainly be selling cheap umbrellas & rainwear if the days are dampish. I have an ancient Australian "dryzabone" raincoat that always travels with me to Paris except for summer trips. I even used it last January with lots of sweaters underneath.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for the help, sounds like we better be prepared for anything. I appreciate your advice.

Posted by
2081 posts

Terry,

I was there in March 2012 and it was either overcast or sunny. Some of the Parisians i talked to said it was not usual for March. But i get and say the same back home too.

I looked at the weather this year in Paris in March of 2013 and it was different.

As mentioned, prepare for the worse.

As a matter of packing, i always have a rollup rain jacket in my bag. It takes up some room, but id rather have it than not. Its lighter than my new jacket but i havent tried it in cold/cooler weather either.

happy trais.

Posted by
2081 posts

Terry,

I forgot to add.

I dress for COMFORT (#1) and COMFORT (#2) and function (#3) when i travel.

Im not a clothes horse so as far as "fashion" goes, i would be the last to recommend. All i can say is that when i was there, most if not all of the woman were dressed nice. Not evening wear, but leather shoes/boots and some wore gloves and scarves. Almost "buisness" like, but more colors than dark colors. I didnt check out the guys since i dont go that way.

happy trails.

Posted by
12040 posts

In the spring of 2012, I was wearing shorts and light shirts by mid-March. This past year, I didn't put away my winter sweaters until June. 2011 was in between. So, what I'm getting at is that the mean temperature for March isn't necessarily the average you will experience, because the mean can cover a wide range. It will be easier to predict closer to your date of travel. All you can say for certain this far in advanced is that you will probably encounter some rain, which is more likely to be a light sprinkle than a torrential downpour.

Oops, I forgot, us men-folk aren't allowed to make any comments whatsoever when a female asks questions about atire. Even if we happen to live in Europe.

Posted by
392 posts

Men can have valuable advice about clothing. It's when you tell people who are clearly concerned with looking fashionable not to worry that you get into hot water. (And anyway, I find it perfectly easy to be both, believe it or not.)

That being said, Terry hasn't expressed any concern about being fashionable or blending in at all, so I don't know why you are bringing up baggage from other threads here.

Terry: layers are your friend in this situation. I don't know where you live, but Uniqlo has some pack able and very lightweight raincoats, down vests, etc. Uniqlo only has stores in the Bay Area and NYC area in the US but you can order online if you're willing or interested. Lands End also makes a wonderfully lightweight warm fleece. You want at least one nice outfit, so find some lightweight wool slacks and/or skirt, with a nice lightweight sweater. Fleece tights are a godsend for the ladies, too.

Edit: I see you live in LA. I forget if Uniqlo has made it there yet.

Posted by
12040 posts

Can we point out that clothes alone don't help tourists blend without arousing too much indignant ire, or is that verboten as well?

Posted by
9110 posts

Can we point out that Terry is a guy...........but still gets lots of cute fashion tips?

Yo, Terry, if the cute hat and bright raincoat don't ring your bell, bring a jacket. Not only will it keep you warm if it gets nippy, but you can zip it up to cover the beer stains on your tee shirt in case the scarf don't hang down that far with all it's flair.

Posted by
1446 posts

Terry, the most helpful advice here is to dress for comfort and functionality, and be prepared for a bit of cold and rain. Invest in a good, lightweight and really rain-resistant outer layer to start. One that can easily be rolled up and stashed in your daypack (think Columbia, LLBean, etc.).

Both my husband and I swear by Land's End microfleece as one of our layers when traveling. They weigh almost nothing! When we're in Europe in early Spring and late Fall, we pack both a Thermacheck 100 jacket or hoodie and a vest. Microfleece light gloves also come in handy.

I tend to get chilled easily, so I also pack a silk undershirt; and some trips, I live in it! I was in Ireland in June this year and wore it on several days...

I don't care about "blending in" - what is that really, anyways??
My husband coordinates his layers in shades of blue and me in shades of black and beige, with one bright color. I usually pack a pashmina as well, as it dresses up nicely as well as adding a layer or warmth in situations where the polar fleece is just too casual.

Posted by
392 posts

Tom, I for one am a firm believer that tourists don't blend in, no matter what they wear. Nothing wrong with wanting to look nice, though. Some people find it more comfortable to be what they consider presentable, and for some people that means not sticking out more than necessary. But again, neither of those issues were what's asked.

Is Terry a man or a woman? Not sure that we can tell from his or her posts, which mention a wife. That is no indicator these days, though. I tried to make my response for either gender, especially since a wife was mentioned.

Posted by
2023 posts

It is hard to predict the weather but take/wear layers and rain jackets. We were in Paris in late March one year (2001 I think) and it was very rainy and cool but not really cold. The water level in the Seine was so high the boats could not go under the bridges. The same was true of the Loire-went to Chenonceau and the river was way high around the chateau.

Posted by
2768 posts

On the fashion front, it's true that you're not going to pass for Parisian. However, in Paris I notice that if you dress "nicer" you get a little more respect. Not dressed-up - no need for a suit or fancy dress for general touring. But the usual decent jeans or slacks, nice walking shoes that aren't sneakers (unless you're under 25ish and they are trendy sneakers), and a trench coat instead of a ski jacket. That kind of thing does make a difference in a lot of cities. I know it's a controversial opinion here, but I stand by it. Your goal is not to pass as a local - this is impossible for 99% of us in another country - but to look presentable and not slobby. And also to make yourself feel confident - many people just don't feel good when they look much messier than the people around them. If you feel confident, you will have a better time, talk to more locals, etc.

I haven't been at that time of year. In early October (also shoulder season), I wear layers. A trench coat that is good in rain, long sleeve thin shirt and a sweater or cardigan over it. Pants or a skirt and thick tights. Shoes with which I can wear socks (no sandals or ballet flats that time of year, because my feet and ankles would get cold or wet). A scarf for color and fashion. I bring thin gloves because my hands get unreasonably cold if it's windy, but I doubt that's necessary for most people. Definitely an umbrella.

I"m currently planning a trip to Madrid for this same time of year, so I've been thinking about weather and clothing a lot!

Posted by
6713 posts

We just spent 9 days in Paris, I brought khakis to look spiffier than the jeans I usually wear out here in the PNW. So practically everyone I see there is wearing jeans -- all ages, both sexes. We stayed in the Marais and didn't spend much time in the ritzier neighborhoods. Lesson learned, wear what's comfortable for you, I sure will next time. In late March you'll probably have some cold and rain, wear layers and sturdy shoes. As for blending in, it won't happen, not because Parisians are so nicely dressed but because your clothing, haircut, habit of staring at buildings, accent, and everything else will mark you. Which is just fine. I can tell a foreign tourist the instant one walks into the visitor center where I volunteer here at home. As Ed said in another recent thread, you can blend in by wearing a scarf and carrying a copy of Le Monde as you wheel your bag down the sidewalk! ;)

Posted by
2081 posts

@ Dick,

i got alot of stares since i was use to cooler weather than the places i was vistiing. Wearling a long sleeve shirt while others are waring jackets will separate you too. same with the rain as you well know too. if it was raining, i was in my long sleeve shirt. i only wore my jacket if it poured or was cold to me.

happy trails.