Please sign in to post.

Paris to Munich

I know it's a long trek, but we are planning to go from Paris to Munich by train during a portion of our trip in November. Is this doable in a day? (I know we will lose that day to travel), or is there a halfway point that would be good to stay for a night or two and explore a bit. Paris to Munich is a definte, just trying to figure the best way to do it....one day, or a stopover.

Thanks

Posted by
376 posts

Thanks!! Would that be the fast train?? The boys think that will be cool!!

Posted by
20942 posts

This train goes from Paris to Strasbourg nonstop in under 2 hours on specially built high speed tracks. It will be hitting speeds over 200 mph at times. That is a distance of 300 miles, so it is averaging about 160 mph.
After Strasbourg it will be on more mundane tracks and making a few stops. Maybe 120 mph a few times.

Posted by
4684 posts

It's the same time or slightly faster as flying when you take into account the trips to and from airports and the airport hassle.

Posted by
10 posts

My wife and I flying in and out of Paris but are heading to Munich. The train schedule/fare mix is maddening. We get in early enough to CDG that we could take an earlier train, but the the direct train is much cheaper, $60 versus $130! Even crazier, if you leave on the direct train but make a connection from the TGV to ICE in Stuttgart, you arrive 15 minutes earlier.

Posted by
7175 posts

ICE 9573
Dep 10:42 PARIS EST (France)
Arr 14:09 STUTTGART HBF (Germany)

ICE 517
Dep 14:16 STUTTGART HBF (Germany)
Arr 16:27 MUENCHEN HBF (Germany)

Posted by
14761 posts

Hi,

There is a route going Paris to Munich with only one change, both legs on the TGV or ICE. Instead of the southern route to Strasbourg on the TGV, you take the central route going to Frankfurt Hbf.

Take the early Paris Est to Frankfurt Hbf ICE or TGV, usually arrives ca shortly before 11 am. Then change to the ICE to Munich Hbf., direct. There used to be the Paris to Munich CNL night train, took that a few years ago.

Posted by
32318 posts

The solution suggested by David would be a good one to use, as the overall travel time is one of the shortest on that route. It will be a longer travel day, but you'll arrive in Munich at a reasonable hour. Once you're checked into your hotel, you can look forward to a nice dinner.

Posted by
7175 posts

A 7 minute connection at Stuttgart would concern me, but the next train is only an hour later.
I vaguely recall Stuttgart Hbf (from 1995), and you would want everything to go well and be clearly marked - there are quite a large number of platforms (17??). From what I can see there may be building work also.

Posted by
23 posts

We went Paris to Munich in May 2016 and it worked really nicely. We had to get up quite early, but the train ride was relaxing and we got some sleep. Would definitely do this again. We had enough time in Stuttgart to get a sandwich and use the restroom and have a little look around the station. We were in Munich by early afternoon and would have had time to do something there, but we rented a car near Munich Hbf and drove to Fussen.

Departs: May 25, 2016 - 7:25 AM
Arrives: May 25, 2016 - 11:04 AM

Departs: May 25, 2016 - 11:58 AM
Arrives: May 25, 2016 - 2:11 PM

Edited for formatting