Please sign in to post.

Paris on Bastille Day?

Flying into Europe mid-July but just realized that my original itinerary had me flying into Paris on/around Bastille day....is this a mistake? Is this more of a local crowd or more of a tourist crowd? We are only in Paris 2 days, wondering if we should just fly in earlier or later to miss it, or is being in Paris for Bastille day something we shouldn't miss? thanks!

Posted by
866 posts

Two days in Paris??? In my opinion, if you can't spend more days, then skip Paris and do it when you have more time.
I was in Paris on Bastille Day many years ago. Many of the stores were closed, don't remember about the tourist attractions. However, there were pretty nice celebrations along the Champs-Élysées.

Posted by
7175 posts

The two main events are the military parade on the Champs Élysées and the fireworks at the Eiffel Tower.
http://en.parisinfo.com/discovering-paris/major-events/bastille-day-in-paris
If you are not so concerned with the museums or an ascent of the Eiffel Tower then it would be a fun time for a quick visit. Concentrate your time with soaking up the atmosphere on the street, as well as visiting Notre Dame, Saint Chapelle, Pantheon and Napoleons tomb.

Posted by
3392 posts

Bastille Day in Paris is fantastic! Gather around the Eiffel Tower with a million other people and watch the fireworks...amazing!