Please sign in to post.

Paris in August

How is Paris in August concerning crowds, hotel availability and weather?

Posted by
9110 posts

Muggy but not unbearable.
Crowded like it is all summer.
Hotel rooms are always available.

Don't beleive the rumor that the place closes in August, you won't notice it.

Posted by
9420 posts

I've been in Paris many times in August when it was unbearably hot. In 2003, 15,000 people died from the heat. You just never know.

Posted by
10230 posts

My first trip to Paris was in August 2006 and the weather was pleasant most the time, and cool and rainy part of the time. When I first arrived in Germany at the beginning of the the trip in mid-July it was VERY hot. I should say miserably hot. Nothing was air conditioned except our car, which I was tempted to sleep in. I would suggest air conditioning since you never know what to expect.

Of course there are crowds because it will be summer. We did not have a problem with things being closed. I think that not only will there be plenty of hotels, but you may get a room for less since it will be August.

Posted by
14530 posts

I have been in Paris often in August...expect it to be humid and hot, 80F in Paris is more bothersome than 80F in Sacramento, and above all, the place is inundated with tourists. Some hotels drop their rates by 5-10 Euro and some charge extra for air conditioning, which I have not paid or will pay extra for.

Posted by
11507 posts

I have been to Paris many times in August. I find hotel rates drop by alot more then 5 or 10 euros,, in fact the hotel I am staying in this June is FORTY euros cheaper per night in August. This and the fact I know its just as crowded in June make me favor August.
I always book ahead for best rates,, and August is alot easier to find rooms in then June or September which are very popular tourist months.

I do get a/c ,, as it can be hot and muggy,, BUT, have also experienced cool and rainy weather in august,, so no promises on whether you will absolutely need the ac or not.