Please sign in to post.

Paris Hostels

I'm celebrating my 50th birthday with childhood girlfriends in England for the first 10 days of my trip and then am heading to Paris & Amsterdam. Am planning about 4-5 nights in Paris. Keeping my budget in mind & the being that I'm traveling alone, I thought it would be fun to stay in a hostel. Just curious what your thoughts are on the various hostels and any in particular that would be better then others?

Posted by
8700 posts

From personal experience I heartily recommend the three centrally-located MIJE hostels in the Marais. They are renovated 17th-century private mansions. Both the Rick Steves and Lonely Planet Paris guidebooks call them "the best budget accommodations in Paris."

Posted by
8293 posts

You want to mark your big five-oh birthday in Paris by staying in a hostel! Please don't do this. There are so many small two-star hotels with charm to choose from and if you watch this space our regulars will tell you their favourites. Be kind to yourself.

Posted by
31 posts

Thank you! I will be watching to see what others recommend. I would like to make my reservation within the few weeks.

Posted by
14518 posts

Hi, The only hostel in Paris I have checked out myself as to location, just to get a feel of the place, cleanliness, etc...Vintage hostel in the 9th arrond, just where the 9th and 10th meet, on rue d'Dunkerque, ca. 10-15 walk from Gare du Nord...very satisfactory. You could book a single (if you're craving for privacy) or stay in a dorm room. I've mostly done the dorm room with 5 other room mates there. If the budget is the main factor, stay in a dorm room. And, don't let age dictate your choice.

Posted by
31 posts

So as I am looking at prices, reviews, etc., and keeping my budget in mind, I've found a B&B, 5 minutes from the Eiffel Tower, excellent reviews for 69 Euros a night, which includes a breakfast and from all reviews ~ a delightful & knowledgeable hostess. I think this is a great deal ... would most of you agree?

Posted by
2091 posts

Bonsoir Suzy, That B&B sounds fantastic! Do you have a Paris map to actually locate it? If you don't, I have a Streetwise one I can bring to our next meeting and would be happy to lend you. Do you know the name of the nearest métro stop?
For (quick) comparison I checked the Hôtel du champ de Mars for a Single ensuite--€95 and Hôtel Lévêque for a Single ("courtyard-ha!), toilette & shower down the hall--€62. Breakfast at champ de Mars is €8 and I can no longer find Lévêque's charge but I think it used to be €9. I haven't checked the hotels we've stayed at in other arrondisements. Hope this helps!