Please sign in to post.

Paris

What part of the city is best or safer for two older women traveling for the first time to Paris? Do you have any suggestions on taking guided tours? Thank you.

Posted by
9436 posts

The entire city, from the 1st to the 20th arrondissement is very safe. My favorite areas are the 4th, 5th and 6th, they are the most fun and cental imo. Many people also like the 7th, which is near the Eiffel Tower. I recommend buying a Rick Steves Paris 2011 guidebook. It is full of very useful info to help you get the most enjoyment out of your time in Paris.

Posted by
524 posts

Rose If you stay in the Paris Arrondisements (Neighborhoods) 1 - 8, you will be fine. Avoid the bus tours. Look up the Paris-Walks.com website. Wonderful looks at small neighborhoods. No reservations needed. Check out the 2 Islands, Montmartre, Marais tours. Meet at the designated Metro stops. Pay your money. If they have Food or Chocolate Tours (more $) offered when you are there, these are excellent values. You might check out Cooking Schools also. Make sure you visit Versailles. If you don't want to tackle this yourself, there are group train tours. Make sure you leave plenty of time to visit the gardens, they are fabulous! Have a wonderful time!
Bobbie

Posted by
10545 posts

I agree with Susan that the 4th, 5th & 6th are the best areas to stay in. I stayed in the Rue Cler area (7th) my first visit, and although it is a very nice neighborhood it is a bit quiet. It is not really within walking distance of much of anything except the Eiffel Tower. The closer to the river you stay, the more central you will be.

Posted by
9436 posts

"The closer to the river you stay, the more central you will be." Andrea is exactly right. Closest to the river is best imo.

Posted by
687 posts

I stayed on Rue Cler when I wanted to visit the Eiffel Tower and the Invalides, but now I stay in the Marais. Not only the Marais livelier and more central, I found RC rather full of people with blue and yellow books.

Posted by
187 posts

You've had great suggestions on best and safest parts of Paris. I just want to encourage you that with good common sense and money belts you should be fine safety wise. My rule of thumb is to only have enough cash in my purse for the day and my credit cards, extra money and passport in my money belt. Nothing in my purse that would be terrible to lose. I think you are safer walking around Paris than Pittsburgh. You should be fine even walking around in the evenings in Paris, and they are magical.

Posted by
45 posts

I hope you have a wonderful time in Paris! It's been a while since I've been to Paris but I found it to be a very safe city. The only problem we encountered was at Sacre Couer when a "vendor" tried to do that trick of putting a bracelet on my wrist. Luckily I had read enough of the RS board to watch out. He was pretty aggressive (even with my husband there who is 6'1"). I just kept telling him to leave me alone and he finally did. Other than that, I love Paris. We're going back in Sept. and I cannot wait!

Posted by
1825 posts

Rue Cler. That's where I will stay on my next visit. Read about it in RS guidebooks.