Please sign in to post.

palace of Versailles

My wife and I visited Paris last year she really loved palace of Versailles would like to visit smoewhere like this and see more castle like palace of Versailles any recommendations on where to see this thinking rome and venice very open to country thanks

Posted by
3894 posts

For large palaces, I don't think Rome or Venice would be ideal, consider Vienna, Istanbul, London, or Madrid (i.e. home to the largest functioning Royal Palace in Europe)

Posted by
6489 posts

The Schoenbronn Palace outside Vienna is often compared to Versailles. So is the Royal Palace in Madrid. Windsor Castle near London would be another choice. Buckingham Palace in London is open in August and September. The Catherine Palace outside St. Petersburg is another one. So is nearby Peterhof but the inside isn't open.

Venice has the Doge's Palace and Ca'Rezzonico, but they're not in the same league as Versailles. I can't think of anything like that in Rome.

If you're willing to downsize, some of the Loire chateaux are big and impressive, as are various "stately homes" in Britain. No doubt others elsewhere.

Posted by
15800 posts

philpoliak1, you need to take a deep breath and think about what you and your wife really want to see and why. Rome and Venice do not have the same sorts of palaces that you saw in France, or not in the "castle-like" sort of genre you experienced there. It's unclear what "very open country" means? Where will you be staying, at what time of year, and how will you be traveling around? Rental car or public transport?

Posted by
4535 posts

Actually, just outside Rome is the Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa. Ville d'Este is a grand Renaissance villa with exquisite gardens, based on those of Hadrian's Villa nearby. The emperor Hadrian designed his villa and gardens. Both are in Tivoli.

Outside of Venice is the Villa Rotunda. Nowhere near the scale of Versailles (what is?), but Palladio's most famous and influential villa set dramatically on a hilltop. Rotunda is in Vicenza.

Posted by
2943 posts

What's wonderful about Venice is you can take a twilight water taxi from one end of the canal (train station) to the opposite end (San Marco Square) and drool over the illuminated enteriors of the palaces that line the Grand Canal. This way you don't see the decay that's visible during the day and instead see the giant chandeliers that adorn its rooms. It will take you back in time.

Posted by
7642 posts

Former King Ludwig of Bavaria built a replica of Versailles at Chiemsee, south of Munich.

The Hermitage in St. Petersburg was formerly the Tsar's palace, now it is a wonderful art museum.

Peterhof and Catherine's Palace are palaces built for Peter the Great and Catherine the Great near St. Petersburg.

Posted by
752 posts

Most definitely St Petersburg! Catherine’s Palace...that room completely clad in amber. And so many other palaces nearby.

Posted by
1968 posts

Actually Versailles is a league of it’s own but was the inspiration for others having something similar. Besides those already mentioned I like to add even it doesn’t come close the palaces of Potzdam near Berlin. But put all together it’s a worthwhile pakkage to visit.

Never visited it but closer to the center of Berlin Schloss Charlottenburg, same for Ludwigsburg north of Stuttgart, nevertheless both look impressive.

In the UK Blenheim Palace where Winston Churchill was born and still on my todo list Castle Howard.

Around Paris belonging with Versailles to the big three are Château de Fontainebleau and Palais de Compiègne, the latter actually more for buffs. Not even royal Vaux le Vicomte has lots of grandeur and was even the inspirarion for building Versailles.

Posted by
7642 posts

Will,
We have been to Blenheim Palace and Castle Howard. I recommend visiting both.

It is hard to compare either to Versailles, both Blenheim and Castle Howard feel more like overgrown manor houses than Royal Palaces.

Castle Howard is small compared to the others and Versailles is just plain huge. It is hard to put you finger on the differences, except to say that Versailles is clearly more ornate and regal.

Posted by
1968 posts

Thank you geovagriffith,

What these places attract is that they have something special. Hopefully the coming years I can visit the UK again and surely hope to visit Castle Howard too. Not only that, there is so much to see there in that part of the country. I visited Blenheim over twenty years back and enjoyed it very much, lovely place. So high expectations about Castle Howard

Posted by
23245 posts

I think what makes Versailles nearly unique is the grounds. I have seen many of the above recommendations and buildings do match but none that I have seen matches the grounds at Versailles. The Villa d'Este near Rome goes come close.

Posted by
4078 posts

We loved Hampton Court Palace-Henry the VIII's house. A day trip from London.