Please sign in to post.

PacSafe bags

I keep hearing about PacSafe bags.

Which is your favorite PacSafe bag and why? Do you have a similar slash-proof bag? Do you think PacSafe bags are overrated?

Posted by
800 posts

I assume you are talking about PacSafe purses - I didn't like the one I ordered - it was very heavy, stiff and bulky. I returned it so never actually used it. I'm not very worried about having my bag slashed but realize there is a good chance of just being pickpocketed - i.e. hand in purse, pull out wallet. I carry regular purses with zippered closures & wallet that has a loop that can be attached to inside of bag so that it cannot be taken without being cut. I've had at least one attempt that was foiled because he had to fumble too much trying to get at what he wanted.

Posted by
28 posts

I have a Citysafe 200 and use it a good amount. It's not necessarily the security features I love so much, it's that they made a good bag that suits my purposes perfectly. I can do an overnighter with my laptop (a new macbook just fits) in it and it's small enough that it doesn't tip off the bag police who make you check bags at some museums.

The pocket on the side fits my thermal coffee mug but doesn't scream "water bottle pocket" when it's not in use. I do like the clip that keeps the zipper closed. The strap was a bit uncomfortable with use but seems to have gotten more flexible over time. I do tend to load it with much more weight than most people who would just use it as a purse instead of a laptop bag, though. Overall, it's a very sturdy bag that's useful and understated. I rather like it!

Posted by
289 posts

I have a slingsafe 100. It's really the perfect handbag for me for traveling. Used it last year on my first trip to Europe and carried some basics in it. It's a great style with the flap front. Not so fashionable but I got black and didn't really notice.

Posted by
515 posts

They are too big for my taste. I wear a smaller cross-body bag with several compartments.

Posted by
1170 posts

I think mine was the Citysafe 100, and my daughter's was the Slingsafe. They are not the most fashionable bags, but after using these bags twice in Europe, I won't go with any other bag. Mine held everything I needed plus my digi camera.

Hubby bought a Pacsafe bag for his laptop and quite liked it.

Posted by
1883 posts

Have the Metro 200. LOVE it. Better than my Eagle Creek bag that is now in the basement on a shelf.

Love the security of locking the zippers, the organization features are great. I didn't find this bag to be any heavier than other bags I've used.

Not worried about getting slashed, but more worried about pickpockets.

I know I could just use a safety pin, etc. I don't have to think that I might loose that safety pin somewhere, or stick myself with it. The bag cleans up easily, great fabric.

My PacSafe bag is the first thing I grab when I'm packing for my European adventures.

Posted by
20 posts

I have the MetroSafe 100 and 200 and just ordered a backpack (SlingSafe? I think). I wrote on a post here recently that I don't like to carry a backpack in the city where I work--but I decided that I really want to wear a backpack on a daily basis as it's the most comfortable bag for carrying my netbook and other stuff. I have been using an old backpack I had around the house and have not been comfortable wearing it and wondering if someone in back of me has roaming hands. I won't have that worry with the PacSafe backpack.

I know the chance of being pickpocketed, etc. is quite small, but as I said in the previous post, I know people who have had their wallets stolen out of their bags on the train (and in one case had the credit card removed and the wallet returned to the bag, so it took a while to realize that the credit card had been stolen). I also realize that the PacSafe bags are not completely theft-proof as they are not locked. They just will make things difficult enough for the thief that (one hopes) she will move on to easier prey, if I use it properly and keep my wits about me. It's just one less thing to worry about.

Also I like the pockets and organization of the bags and the nice long straps; I'm tall, and many bags that are cross-body on other people are not comfortable on me. The MetroSafe 100 is my favorite bag ever for city sightseeing. I use it whenever I travel--domestically as well as abroad. It fits all I need and it's light and easy to wear and use. I hope I like the backpack as much as the other bags.

Posted by
9 posts

I like PacSafe products. We have several versions....SlingSafe 50 and 100, MetroSafe 100 and 200, StashSafe 100 hip pack and DaySafe 100 backpack.

I use the SlingSafe 50 or 100 or the MetroSafe 200 depending on where I am travelling and how much "junk" I want to cart with me. I found the SlingSafe 50 was just large enough for a lipbalm, my iPod and bank cards. The SlingSafe 100 was a bit larger and allowed me to stuff in a few tissues. The MetroSafe 200 has lots of room and I use it when travelling through airports so that I can carry my guidebook etc. I usually then store the Metrosafe 200 in my luggage when we are settled and switch to one of the smaller SlingSafes for my everyday excursions.

My husband uses the MetroSafe 100 as his "man bag". He gets a lot of ribbing about it but he likes the locking zippers! (Made more important when he confronted a pickpocket on the 64 bus in Rome who had his hand in a woman's opened handbag!) If needed, my husband will use the DaySafe backpack but it is a little heavy for daily use.

In the past, my boys have used the StashSafe hip packs for their electronic games. As they get older they prefer not to carry anything with them.

I like the easy to clean features of all the bags, the locking zippers, and the organizational features.

While we like the PacSafe products, quite frankly the only essential security item for us is our moneybelts.
Cathy

Posted by
283 posts

I bought one last year for two weeks in Paris, where I was pickpocketed many years ago. It is the pacsafe 200 and I love it. I like the organization, the zippers within the purse and the locking main zipper. I also love that the strap is long enough, and adjustable, so it may be carried over the shoulder or across the body. I was really happy with it and will use it on every trip.

After I was robbed, I changed to a healthy back back pack from Lands End. But I wear it backwards with the zipper pull under my arm. My thought was that I would notice if someone reached under my arm to access the zipper. Never had a problem with that one either. Only, it does not go cross body, so when there is a lot of walking, it is less comfortable than the Pac Safe.

Posted by
30 posts

I love hearing everyone's reply. I have used the TravelSafe for years and borrowed my mother's PacSafe purse (must be the CitySafe 100), but it's so old and threadbare and too small, so I was interested in getting a new product and there are SO many new products now!

When I'm traveling alone with my toddler, there's just a level of security I want in my bag so I can turn the majority of my attention to her.

I really like the SlingSafe Travel Backpack.

Thanks again!

Posted by
36 posts

I have been reading about the pacsafe bags and have looked, the economy is bad and i have been trying to safe every lil penny i can on this trip... the thing is i was going to purchase the hidden pocket wallet but i thought i would like to carry my camaera around .. whats the best thing to purchase??