Please sign in to post.

packing light?

My husband & I will be travelling to Italy-Sept 10 for 9 days-Rome, Florence, Venice (via trains) then flying to Paris for 7 days. How the heck do people only take a carry on size bag (14x21)? I bought a light weight 25 inch spinner bag, will I regret it? I assume I will need a little space for gifts/presents too. Also won't it be hotter in Italy and much cooler in Paris. And if I just take casual wear/sneakers won't the French poo poo that?
Holly

Posted by
922 posts

There have been several threads recently on the topic of packing and clothing that works well in Europe. Did you try a few search queries (use the Search field in the upper right of this screen)? Also, browse through the list of thread topics in the 'General Europe' board. I'm sure some people will also answer your question directly but you can get started doing a bit of searching yourself. Also to get you started here's a long set of posts that the Webmaster put together from past threads on the topic over time: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti82.html

Posted by
11507 posts

I can do a month with a 22 inch bag, so yeah, you can survive.. Yes, for a long trip one must wash their clothes, I usually just manage with a sink wash of undies every 5 or so days, and then a few tops,, and in a month I have had make one or two laundromat visits for heavier clothing items.. but in general most lightweight clothes can be sink washed. Plus no one needs to wash a skirt or pair of pants every time they wear them unless you spill something on them. For your trip I could do it easily.. but then I don't bother with a lot of shopping.. but I have in the past had to bring back some gifts from my family in France to family here, so I ended up having to buy a carry on in Paris ( you can get them for like 20 euros) then I checked my carry on bag that I had brought as carry on, and just carried on the new bag. Buy stuff like key chains and scarves.. The French could care less what you wear. Just so you know , I think the best dressers in Europe are the Italian males,, look at their shoes and the cut of their clothes, now they are sharp!

Posted by
331 posts

I'm leaving in 2 hours for a 25 day trip to Europe with the RS Convertible, a good sized purse and a Scottevest trench coat which has tons of pockets. Worse case scenario if I forget something I can buy it there. I've packed heels, birkenstocks and am wearing neutral runners on the plane. Check out Squawkfox.com for packing light suggestions, I loved her idea of Rolling everything into bundles and packing. Packing light is not only Totally Do-able but it is also so much more convenient for travelling.
Have fun!

Posted by
3941 posts

Three 18-23 day trips to Europe, all with a carry on size and a 'personal' size overnight bag...how do we do it? Well, when you see the people struggling on and off trains, up and down stairs at the train stations and subways and hotels...you will be glad you did. I wish I could even do away with the personal size bag, but too many gadgets. (And when I told people at work that is all the luggage we were taking, they thought we were crazy - I know of a person who went to Cuba and took a jumbo suitcase for a week!). We still manage to bring an extra pair of shoes, 2-3 pr of jeans, 4-5 shirts...creative packing. As mentioned, you do have to plan on doing laundry. When we bought gifts it would be small ones (little glass ornaments in Venice). We take old socks and underwear and discard them along the way (I know some people disagree with this). Somehow on our first trip overseas my husband managed to squeeze these bookends (a fairly good size) into the luggage to come back home...lol...and only one knight had a slightly bent sword. :) One caveat...we always visit my sister in England before coming home and end up with a very small piece of luggage that we check (we keep all the purchases in our carry on and just put our dirty clothes and such in the checked bag). You can do it...and will be glad you did....honestly, I think one Rick Steves quote says he's never met anyone who would pack more luggage on a return trip to Europe. As for Paris...I live in jeans (not sneakers tho...either Blundstone boots or comfy stylish sandals) and no funny looks I'm aware of. French people don't care what you are wearing (unless you try to go to a fancy restaurant or the opera)...

Posted by
2379 posts

There are many resources to help you on the internet. A few of my favorites are One Bag, OBOW Blog, and Vivienne Files. The key is careful pre-planning and ing clothes that coordinate and are easily washed and dried over night (these do not have to be technical travel wear - most of my wardrobe comes from Goodwill). I personally have traveled for 22 days with one carry on backpack (no wheels) and had much room to spare. I pack a lightweight totebag to use to bring any extra stuff home (check my carry on bag on return). I do not worry about people "poo pooing" my outfits or footwear - it's my vacation, not theirs, and regardless they will know in an instant you are not a local. I would rather be comfortable, tidy (not sloppy), and be able to spend an entire day out sightseeing without painful feet.

Posted by
14041 posts

I'm with CL, I love Vivienne Files. Look back at some of her capsule wardrobes for ideas. I think her travel formula is 5 core pieces of a dark neutrals, an accent piece (like a print cardie), a couple of light or white neutrals, a few pieces in your accent color. That actually turned out to be too many clothes for me for 12 days so I cut back. She also mentioned Land's End Modal Tee shirts sometime in the past. I got a couple, liked them and then got a bunch. (Works better when they first come out for the season because then you have a se-lection of colors, now they are probably down to Black, Navy and White). I took them on my recent Heart of Italy tour and they worked great for handwashing in the sink. I had 4 SS ones and 1 LS one I wore on the plane and actually could have done with just 3 SS ones. I packed in the RS convertible bag and it was not full. Also, I would not take any scarves since you are going to Florence near the first of your trip. The San Lorenzo market is filled with stall after stall of scarves all around 4 or 5E and you can talk them down some on that. Buy 2 or 3 scarves there for souvenirs and for you for the rest of your trip. Wear the shoes that you can walk 10 miles in no matter what you think others will think. I was hot in Rome and had on capris. I realized in the evening I was getting some looks from older Italian ladies (I am an older woman)...and I am not sure if it was the capris, the black Earth brand athletic shoes, the fact that I have gray hair or the fact that they all seemed to be wearing jackets and I did not think it was cool. (I saw few Italian women with gray hair, even the ones who had to be 80 were using color.) It didn't bother me, but I observed it and thought it interesting that they would bother to look. You are going to have a wonderful time!

Posted by
14041 posts

Sorry, ran out of room! Someone on this forum (I think one of the guys) posted in a discussion on packing to start your packing on paper. That advice was SO worthwhile for me! Do some research on Vivienne Files, then start with a list of clothing you plan to take, then pull it out of your closet. See if there are things that only go with one other thing and if so put that back in the closet. Do a test pack. Revise your list. Also an interesting concept is Project 333...33 clothing items or less for 3 months. It helps get your head around a capsule wardrobe. Her point is actually doing with way less than we think we need, but for me it was effective for thinking about traveling.

Posted by
1840 posts

You might be able to get a little bit of help from packinglight.com.

Posted by
9110 posts

For the first time, you have to do it in very careful sequential steps. Thus: 1. Put the suitcase on a chair. 2. Put all the stuff you want to take on the bed. 3. Eyeball the pile and the luggage. If it fits, you're done; if it doesn't, continue. 4. Divide the pile into what's essential and what's nice/maybe/just-in-case. 5. Keep the essential, toss the other on the floor. 6. Repeat Step 5, eyeballing the luggage and the pile until it fits, tossing the leftovers on the floor. 7. Cut the remaining pile in half and toss the leftovers on the floor. 8. Remove half of the electronics to cut weight. 8. Close suitcase. 9. Make note to buy smaller suitcase for the next trip.

Posted by
796 posts

I have done it several times. Try travelfashiongirl. She has samples using 10 or 15 clothing items with sample fashions. Layers are key far varying temps. Light wash in the sink fabrics, test wash at home to see how quick they dry. Scarves are helpful for fashion and warmth. Make a packing list and stick to it. I started with Ricks female list and then altered it for my taste. Have a great trip.

Posted by
36 posts

Hey thanks everyone for all the tips, this should really help.

Posted by
4408 posts

I think you may be at that hurdle of paring your 'wardrobe' waaaay down for this style of traveling. It can be a very high hurdle to jump ;-) That's not to say that you can't look nice, but that you can look nice with something along the lines of ONLY 3 bottoms and 5 tops. Two pairs of shoes. 3 days of underwear. One pj; the smaller/lighter, the better. If there's a possibility of cold, then one set of long underwear (CuddleDuds, etc. - great for wearing out (and can be removed and put in daybag if too hot during the day) and sleeping in). Remember - you'll be wearing one bottom and one top on the airplane. Bring 1 pair each of gold and silver earrings; or even better wear one pair, period. One watch. Perhaps NO necklaces. One bracelet. Don't pack for changing moods, possible scenarios, etc. Pack your 'travel uniform'. Keep it very simple. I would love to bring my strappy little sandals for a possible nice dinner out; if that happens, I'll make do with the 'touring' sandals that will get me through the other 97% of my trip. It's OK - really. It IS an adjustment, though, and a major shift in thinking about how to pack. I remember how radical it seemed to me (back before anybody was pulling their always-falling-over luggage with a strap, and you always took 2 28" bags for a weekend LOL!). No more packing full-sized anything in your toiletries/make-up, either. If you're taking it onto the airplane, liquids/gels must be in containers 3-3.4oz (100mL) or smaller. I use these for everything I possible can - liquid/mineral powder makeup, foot cream, moisturizer, sunscreen...You can get several in that 3-1-1 bag ;-)

Posted by
4408 posts

So, that's something like (packed): 2 pants, 4 shirts, 2 underwear (2-3 socks?), 0-1 pair shoes Minimal jewelry (may be wearing all of it already) Scarves, if you wear 'em lightweight windbreaker-type jacket (block the wind, so you don't need anything heavier) and possibly waterproof small, lightweight umbrella (or, see above) Minimal toiletries (skip toners, different heel/elbow creams, etc., if possible) Eliminate overlaps. Leave any curling irons, straighteners at home if possible Guidebook?
*Camera/iPads/'electronics' and chargers What am I forgetting?

Posted by
97 posts

Eileen, the one thing you're forgetting is a light sweater. Even in summer, it's nice to be prepared if the evening gets cool or breezy. Layer, layer, layer! I have a medium-weight black v-neck cardigan that I can throw on alone or under a light jacket, or crush into my day bag when the day warms up. (Of course, I live in a place where layering is just a fact of life -- as I type this, it's 58 on one side of the city, 65 on the other, and 77 just 20 miles south -- so layering is just a given in my wardrobe anyhow.)

Posted by
331 posts

Here's my list: I'm starting my trip with 3 days in Iceland, and eventually spending 2 weeks in greece so I've opted to Layer at the start (eg: T-shirt, Long sleeve shirt, cardi, sarong scarf, trench coat)and then pare down as I head South. Worse case scenario, I buy an Icelandic Sweater. BTW I've still got room in my bag. 4 Pants-Shorts,Yoga pants(double as pj's)Capris(jeans on the plane) 3 Pairs shoes - Heels, Birks (wearing runners) 7 short sleeved T's 2 Long Sleeved T's (wearing one) 1 Long sleeved button up blouse 2 loose cardigans (wearing one) 3 dresses (I'm a dress girl)(2 dresses are ScottEVest Dresses-w Pockets) 3 Bras (wearing the comfy one) 1 sarong (wearing as a scarf) 7 undies 3 pairs of socks ScottEVest Trench coat (this thing has pockets Everywhere) Extras : Lush shampoo bar(doubles as body soap), Sun block, Mascara, Eyeliner, Lip gloss, Deodorant, toothbrush, tooth paste
Iphone, Plug Adapter, Sunglasses, Chap Stick, Tylenol, Travel Laundry line,Eye shades and neck pillow for the plane (in the pocket of my trench)

Posted by
4408 posts

Nope, Micky, no light sweater for me; that's what the windbreaker is for. (But...58F is 3/4-sleeve t-shirt or thin fleece pullover and windbreaker weather for me; 65F is a 3/4-sleeve t-shirt. FYI - unless you're going TO San Francisco, DON'T watch The Weather Channel and think the SF weather goes for all of Northern CA; its just a freakishly cool microcosm of a climate and you'll be very sad if you're going to Sacramento, Napa, etc. I live 1 hour away, and it was 108F yesterday :-( ) If I'm still too cold after a base layer, a shirt, and something to block the wind, I need to go shopping for a down jacket or move on...I wore a t-shirt, denim shirt, and a windbreaker on top of the Zugspitze for a few hours. That was fine; it I lived there, I'd choose a sweatshirt or heavy sweater over a base layer, with a windbreaker. But for only 2-3 hours and then having to lug a sweater around for the rest of my 5-week trip? Noooo. I can always buy something there if the weather complete freaks out. Of course, if I travel during colder months, I bring only 3-4 heavier tops, wear my base layers, and my rainproof windbreaker. Less tops, but I'm not as perspirey (I'm sure that's a word!) so less/no laundry for the tops, but my base layers wash and dry very quickly. The square footage of my clothing stays about the same. If I'm going to Siberia for Christmas - I'm bringing more luggage ;-) (cont.)

Posted by
4408 posts

(cont.) Now...if you know that you're always chilly, then bring a thin, lightweight sweater. DON'T bring a black sweater, then think, 'I'll just bring that gray sweater too, because it goes so well with those gray pants. Hey, I'll just throw in that pair of navy pants too because they look great with that gray sweater...' LOL! RESIST!!! Thats an easy way to get yourself into trouble. 'I have room; I'll just throw in a _____'. Holly, I suggest bringing a collapsible 1'x2' (duffle) bag, packed flat at the bottom of your suitcase, for checking. You can pack any extras, or anything that is a security no-no, in it. Actually, I check things that I could survive losing if I never saw them again, plus security no-nos, and carry on souvenirs and anything else irreplaceable/breakable. I also bring a RS Tote for out-n-about; it's as big as my carry-on, if I need it to be.

Posted by
14041 posts

Ann, you might try compression bags. On the way home I trialed putting the full size Eagle Creek silnylon cube with my shirts plus 2 half cubes with underwear, socks, scarf purchases and other soft stuff in a Med. size Eagle Creek compression bag. It took up far less room but of course it doesn't make it weigh less! When I finally unpacked...a couple of days after coming home...the shirts really weren't too bad. I had rolled them before placing them in the cube and I could probably have worn them after hanging them in the bathroom during a shower. You might be able to get by with one less sweater and 2 fewer shirts as well, but only you can decide that. My 6'6" nephew carried on in an Osprey porter, but he did not have any dress/work clothes. Did have a 2nd pr of shoes. Pam

Posted by
332 posts

Hello! We just got back from a 11 day trip to Europe and only used a carry on. We even had to pack dress clothes as we were going to a reunion and church with the family. So it is do able. Take layers and dress simply. I just wanted to add that we ended up having to buy a travel duffle in the end to bring back our treasures. We checked the bags on the way back and took the duffle aboard as our carry on. The duffle folds up in to a little pocket. So it will help with the packing. I would have gone insane travling with more or a bigger bag. Also Lady Light travel has some great trips. Have a great trip!!

Posted by
121 posts

Follow Ed's advice! (Great post Ed.) For something more detailed, here's my list for you to use/consider: 4 Bottoms-2 Skorts, 1 pr Capris and 1 pr. jeans(wear on plane) (you can always adjustfor example, this year, I'll be north, so I'm probably taking 2 pr jeans and ditching 1 skort) 1 Pair shoes(sometimes have taken flip flops too for shower, beach) 5-6 short sleeved tops or tanks 1 sweater 1 jacket 1 skirt 2 Bras (including the one I'm wearing) PJs (light weight sweat pants or yoga pants with a running top)(I take a running top with a built in brait can double as a tank if needed and it works better at places where you have to walk down the hall to shower) 7 undies (including the ones I'm wearing) 1 pairs of socks swimsuit
Towel Toiletries, laundry clips, makeup, etc. Camera Day bag for camera, guide books, water bottle. Everything in my wardrobe is based on black and white with pops of color. So everything can be mixed and matched. At the end of the day, you are not trekking up Everest. So, if you decide you need an extra pair of socks or another blouse, you can just buy it in Europe. (All I REALLY need to remember to pack is a credit card and my passport.

Posted by
49 posts

Sorry to semi-hijack your thread, but I thought it would be better to do this than to start a new one. :) I love reading people's packing tips, but I guess my problem with the packing tips is that I'm 6'2" and am not slim, plus I have big feet. My husband is 6'7". Packing in a carry-on for more than a week is a challenge for me, even with washing clothes. We were in Italy for 3 weeks last year and did laundry twice during our trip, but we still had to bring a large suitcase (24") and both had carry-on size bags. Granted, our trip was in the winter and I brought 3 sweaters, 6 long-sleeve t-shirts and 2 pairs of pants, but only brought one other pair of shoes, and my husband had to bring clothes for work (he brought 5 dress shirts and 2 pairs of dress pants for work) along with his casual clothes. So, if you're taller/bigger than the average size traveler, how do you get over the carry-on packing challenges?

Posted by
3792 posts

Ann, You said, "I brought 3 sweaters, 6 long-sleeve t-shirts and 2 pairs of pants." Many here would say that 2 sweaters, 2-3 t shirts, and 2 pairs of pants would be plenty. You just have to live with the fact that you will have to wear the same outfit every other day, and switch the combinations around. Many people on this board make sacrifices when they travel, and force themselves to pack about one-fourth of what they would like to take. Your husband could not have reduced the amount of clothing he took, because he apparently was going for business and needed to dress for that. "So, if you're taller/bigger than the average size traveler, how do you get over the carry-on packing challenges?" Step 1: Get yourself a good carry on. Step 2: Lay out the amount of clothes I just suggested for you. Fold & put in Carry on. You may have enough room then to add one item or two. When carry on is full, you're done. Whether you are large or small, there's only a certain amount you can fit in a carry on, and you gotta live with that fact. You may have pictured a tiny Carry on bag. Look at this page for Rick Steves own line designed especially for the type of traveling you will be doing: http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog&parent_id=167 Convertible Carry On or Back Door Bag get my vote. Plenty of room.

Posted by
1010 posts

We always take "Forever New" powdered soap. You can buy it on-line or at Macy's, in the lingerie dept. I use the soap at home for delicate fabrics, all year. You can do all fabrics in the cold or warm water. On trips, I wash every night, that we are in a hotel for at least two nights. We also take a cheapy rubber drain cover. Many sinks in Europe don't have a stopper, either in the sink or in the shower/tub. We wash the clothes in the bathtub, or do them in the shower, with the over-head shower wand. Then we roll the clothes in our large bath towels. It is unbelievable how much water comes out when you run the clothes through the towels. We also have foldable/foam hangers from "Magellan". They have two travel stores. You can also go on-line and order the hangers at "Magellan.com".

Posted by
340 posts

Also, for those souvenirs that accumulate: I always pack a very lightweight nylon duffle bag in one of my outside pockets or under the lining in the bottom of my carry-on. Then, as the trip moves along, I put dirty clothes and unbreakables in the duffle and special souvenirs in the suitcase. For the flight home I usually check the duffle and carry on the suitcase with my new treasures since checking a bag on the way home doesn't really matter. Sometimes I pack clothing that isn't important and donate/toss it when I'm done with it rather than bring it home, making more room for souvenirs and lightening the load. We have also gone to the post office in various countries and mailed things home, which can be $$ but very convenient. Have fun!

Posted by
3792 posts

Holly, You've gotten lots of great advice so far! So I will just say, I agree everything that's been said. Best post is by Ed. Absolutely do what Ed said. I agree with Deb, "Everything in my wardrobe is based on black and white with pops of color. So everything can be mixed and matched." My list would be: three outfits besides what you wear on the plane over. Wear a great pair of walking shoes on the plane. Take in suitcase: 1. 3 pairs pants or capris. 2. 3 t-shirts. 3. 2 pairs lightweight shoes--one ballet flats, black; one comfy-for-walking-all-over-the-place pair of sandals. Do what Ed said; put all this stuff in your carry-on bag, and say "How much room do I have left, and what else do I have to have that I can't live without?" When you get to Italy, buy some scarves for presents for others, and a couple for yourself to add flair to your pared-down travel wardrobe. The MOST important thing: Resist the urge to take too much stuff with you. You don't want to lug too much stuff up and down the small narrow steps in a B&B or hotel. You also don't want to drag it with you on and off trains.

Posted by
49 posts

Thanks! I took the 3 sweaters because it was January in Italy and it was very cold! I'm glad I had the 3 to go through because it took a long time for the sweaters to dry after washing. We're hoping with out next trip (Sept-Oct in Munich and Paris) to take less plus my husband doesn't have to take any business attire. The OP's 25" spinner bag I think will be a problem, especially on the trains in Italy. Trying to hoist the luggage above you on the train is difficult when it's so large. We had some difficulty with our 24" bag.

Posted by
809 posts

picking up on Ann's question... I'm 5'10" and also have big feet, but we always travel carryon. Did 2+ weeks in Japan in January 2012 and fit it all in. I brought silk underwear and silk turtlenecks for layering, plus 2 light cashmere sweaters and a fleece vest, and was plenty warm. The other advantage of layering is that you can wash the bottom layers every day or so, since they dry quickly, and protect your outer layers of shirt/sweater so those don't need to be washed as often. Holly, my daughter and I just got back from 17 days in Sicily, Paris, and southern France, and we did it carryon on the way over . In addition to the carryon, we also had a "personal item" - mine is Rick's hideaway tote, 22x8x16, which held my Civita day pack. So once we landed, I actually had 3 bags most of the time: the wheeled carryon, the backpack, and the tote which became our laundry bag. It was warm in Italy and chilly in Paris, so I just layered up more - wore a long-sleeved T shirt under my travel shirt, and wrapped a pashmina around my neck. Silk scarves also work nicely to perk up an outfit and are warm but lightweight. You can do it!

Posted by
36 posts

wow, this is a big help!!! Started to gain confidence that I can do just a carryon bag. Love the fashion/vivienne blogs for outfit ideas. Will have to start looking at luggage day bags now, lol

Posted by
4408 posts

Ann, I know larger clothing does take up more room; my husband is a big guy, and even though my own clothes aren't as small as they use to be (!) my stack of 3 t-shirts and 2 pair of jeans is much smaller than his stack. What balances our bags out is I carry more in toiletries/makeup/hair dryer than he does. For your next winter trip, try what's been suggested - long underwear (CuddleDuds, etc.) that you can wear under 1 of 2 sweaters or 3-4 l/s shirts, then wash out the long underwear and NOT the heavy sweater. (If you are a heavy perspirer, try underarm shields.) The thinner fabrics will definitely be dry by morning. Holly, trust me - there'll be times that you'll really wish you had that olive pair of pants or that extra top that you left behind on your bed :-( And you're probably going to say 'if I have to wear this blue top One.More.Day.I'll.Scream!' But you won't regret leaving that extra stuff on your bed when you're carrying your much smaller and lighter bag around! Once you get out of your hotel room and out-and-about, you probably won't notice anymore what you're wearing...(and nobody else will notice that you're wearing the same things over and over and over).

Posted by
262 posts

You will have a much better time with a smaller, 22 inch bag! I guess that you
will only learn this through personal experience. My first trip to Europe I had a 30 inch suitcase. It was heavy before I put anything in it. I was traveling for a month on a cruise and land travel. I thought that I needed so much more than I actually used. I am now down to a 20 inch for 3 weeks and I do have much more fun!! No getting my arm caught in the train door as it was closing in Milan. No more dragging it across the cobblestones either. Don't worry about bringing back gifts, you can figure that out when you buy them! Happy Travels!

Posted by
1918 posts

Well, good advice given here. We usually go for 4 weeks and do just fine with a carry on. But, it is all about how you think about it. Honestly, it is all in your head. When I take a local weekend trip I pack more than I do for a month in Europe! It is because I know I can. I like different choices and prepare for anything. In Europe, I only pack what I really, really need and know I can buy something else if needed. I typically rule out more with each trip. Once I took two pairs of shoes and wore a third. No more! Now only take one and wear one. Yes, you will get really tired of wearing the same clothes, but I'd rather get tired of the clothes than get tired of trying to carry a big suitcase. Just layer...take minimum, and you'll be happy you did!

Posted by
503 posts

Hello Holly! You've gotten terrific advice here... and you definitely want to go with a smaller bag - the 25 inch one will be too large since you are planning on using the trains. So the question is "how to pack for warm Italy and cooler Paris in a carry on"? The answer is "layers" and doing laundry while on the road. To illustrate, here's my packing list from a similar trip (includes what I wear on the plane) Tops: 1 camisole 2 tank tops 2 long sleeeved button front blouses (mine are a linen like blend - very cool with roll up sleeves) 2 long sleeved t shirts (1 scoop neck, 1 crew) cardigan 2 pr. pants (both roll up into capri's) 1 black sleeveless knit dress 1 pr. tights 1 pr. walking sandals 1 pr. walking shoes waterproof shell In Italy, I wear either the tank or the camisole with the blouse over it - if it's really warm I just take the blouse off and put it in my day bag and then put it on for going into churches. Wear this with the pants rolled into capri's and a pair of walking sandals. For Paris - if it's warm, wear the above tops with pants as either capri's or pants. If it's cooler, I'll layer the blouse under the t shirt and add the cardigan. If it's REALLLY chilly, I wear the camisole, blouse, t - shirt and cardigan and top it off with my waterproof shell and a scarf. Nice dinner in Paris? Sleeveless knit dress with tights and walking shoes, cardigan and scarf. If it's cooler, I'll add the long sleeved T under the dress (it's a v neck).
With these clothing items, I am prepared for just about anything! Add a couple of scarves ( 1 lightweight, one heavier) some costume jewelry and you are good to go!

Posted by
8506 posts

Holly this is not original advice, but there are a couple of basic ingrained mindset things that need to be overcome: 1. No one there cares that you are wearing the same clothes over & over. I had similar itinerary as yours and wore the same slacks and shirt 6 days in a row. No arrests or second looks from fashion police. No need to take your favorite or most expensive clothes.
2. You can buy everything over there you might decide you need when you need it. Not enough toothpaste, underwear or socks? Shop for some in Florence - you have a souvenir and local experience. I go with a carryon and buy a cheap lightweight duffle when I get wherever I am going. The clothes I want to take back go in the duffle which I check on the homebound flight (not a crisis if lost or on the way home or stolen in transit). Fill your carryon with souvenirs.

Posted by
2349 posts

I'll admit to being a slob at home, and just tossing my clothes in a basket or on the bedroom chair. That's all fine when the laundry room is just down the hall. But on trips I become pretty meticulous about clothing. I hang everything up, deal with stains ASAP, plan ahead about what to wash, etc. Even a shirt that I've worn twice, I hang it up until I wash it. It may look pretty clean compared to the one I spill ice cream on. Toiletries can really be reduced. I look for the little sample bottles attached to regular products. I have a tiny .25 ounce face lotion that I just refill. It's plenty for more than a week. The "buy it there if you need it" works if you are the size and shape of average Europeans. If you're larger or have bigger feet, better take what you need. If you do end up checking a bag, it doesn't have to be a big one. You two could just pack a few extras in a small carry on size and check it. Then 3 carry ons will still be manageable.

Posted by
331 posts

Hi Holly, I posted my packing list just after your post and just got back from my 25 day trip a few days ago and wanted to let you know how it went. I was in Iceland,Holland and Greece so had to pack for Cold, Wet and Really Hot. I used everything in my pack and didn't have any "should have packs" to ad. The only extra was an Icelandic sweater that I was given as a gift, which I would have lived without, but it was a great souvenier. If my next trip is to a warm climate , I would pack: 3 Pants-Yoga pants, Jeans(only needed on plane), Capris 2 Pairs shoes - Heels(for dinners out), Birks 5 short sleeved T's 1 Long sleeved button up blouse 1 loose cardigan 3 dresses- 1 sundress + 2 ScottEVest Dresses-w Pockets (1 long black- wore many times, 1 red short) 3 Bras 1 sarong(used this daily as scarf, beach cover, tablecloth) 7 undies 1 pair of socks ScottEVest Trench coat Extras : Lush shampoo bar(doubles as body soap), Sun block, Mascara, Eyeliner, Lip gloss, Deodorant, toothbrush, tooth paste Iphone, Plug Adapter, Sunglasses, Chap Stick, Tylenol, Travel Laundry line,Eye shades and neck pillow for the plane (in the pocket of my trench) I also had a magazine and big bag of almonds in my trenchcoat pockets for on the plane.
I bought a nice large tote bag for myself as a souvenir which I used to carry all the gifts etc I bought while away. I brought my backpack and my large tote onto the plane carryon with no problems.

Posted by
1054 posts

For the hubby that bag might be big for 10 days. I'd take 2 pants, 3 shirts, 2ocks, 2 t-shirt, 2 undewear and a sweater. Wash clothes in the sink. Leave shorts at home unless going to the beach. 1 pair of shoes like ecco seawalker or Rockport worlds

Posted by
1091 posts

Holly, We just got back from a month in Europe and both my boyfriend and I only took a carry on and small backpack. The key is to bring clothes that roll up,don't need much ironing and can mix and match. That doesn't mean clothes that you would never wear at home. I shopped at Victoria's Secret, Nordstrom, jcrew and amazon.com before we left. I had the following: 3 dresses 2 pair yoga pants I pair jeans 3 pairs of pants 1 pair shorts 2 skirts 8 patterned t shirts 6 tank tops 8 pairs earrings 2 bracelets 2 scarfs (bought another there) 14 pair underwear 2 bras I pair shorts and nightshirt for sleeping 2 bathing suits 1 Windbreaker (which we never used) 2 cardigan sweaters
I long sleeve knit sweater Brought a pair of hiking merells and some side maryjanes by aerosols. Picked up an incredible pair of sandals in Bellagio that were gorgeous and comfy for walking around in. I brought travel on size of all my favorite face soap, shampoo, etc. picked up a travel set from clarins while we were there. We bought a few small souvenirs and we still had plenty of room when we came home. We also did laundry twice on the trip. Dropped them off at the local laundromat and 10 euros later we had clean clothes while we did our site seeing. You won't regret packing light. We walked past so many people struggling with their bags as we zoomed by. Safe travels. :)

Posted by
5 posts

Hi Holly: I took a 25 in spinner...loved the spinner for its ease of use...but took too many clothes. Unless your spinner is half-full, you will regret it. Trust me. I wore converse or sandals in France and Italy. Paris is indeed cool and showery at times. Its breezy, too, so take a neck scarf. Better yet, buy one in Paris! Everyone wears scarves. No one in France poo pooed anything I wore. The lightest weight Birks were so comfortable in Italy. Take light-weight, casual EVERYTHING!