Please sign in to post.

Packing Light

My husband often has to travel overseas for business. He is required to bring a formal jacket and occasionally a suit. Any suggestions on packing light for the business traveller who may take a day to see the sights?

Posted by
441 posts

Richelle, There's a video on youtube showing how to fold a suit for a one bag trip.

Posted by
3428 posts

This is one of the times where checking a bag seems like the solution. Not a BIG bag, but a reasonable sized one to accomodate the more formal shoes, jackets, dress pants, ties, shirts, etc. and maybe a travel iron or steamer.

Posted by
1994 posts

When I've needed to combine business with pleasure travel, I've still found it manageable to bring a single carryon. I pack a suit and dress shoes. I bring a second outfit that's business casual and can be accessorized to make it more formal (but ensure it's something that also will be comfortable for pleasure travel). I wear really casual clothes on the flight. The one time I required multiple sets of business clothes at the start of a vacation, I shipped the extra business clothes home after the business part of the trip.
One advantage is that you'll typically be staying in an upscale hotel for the business part of the trip, which means laundry and pressing services.

Posted by
629 posts

I used to carry a light weight garment bag with a suit (or jacket & slacks), dress shirt, belt, shoes, etc. Some airlines allow you to hang up this bag upon entry to cabin whereas other airlines restrict this to checked luggage. I did this for attending weddings not for business travel. Best to check each airline's regulations. This system keeps all of your formal items in one bag. Some friends wear their formal clothing on the plane and carry just one bag. They send out their suit for cleaning upon arrival at their hotel - this can be tricky, timely and expensive though.

Posted by
12172 posts

My business travel packing is only a small step up from business casual. I'm not as formal as I might be at home, but I never check luggage. It starts with one jacket (worn on the plane) that can be matched with two pairs of slacks. A black blazer or sport coat plus two pairs of black/grey/tan/sage dress pants in a good travel fabric - darker options in fall/winter, lighter in spring/summer. Add two dress shirts (usually white and blue) plus a couple other button-up shirts that can be worn open-collar with the coat or just paired with slacks. I'll bring a few ties that mix-match with the choices above and a reversible belt (if I have two colors of shoes). I do like to bring an extra pair of shoes, so I'll usually bring one pair black and one pair brown that can work for both walking and dress. If I had to step up from that. I'd add one suit (in a different color than everything else so you get a completely different look) and get a carry-on bag built for carrying a suit. To round out the packing list, add underwear and several pairs of identical black crew socks (in case you lose one or two) all in a good travel fabric. I always pack a pair of swim trunks too. On a business trip, I don't take running shoes or t-shirts because I find I don't have time to work out regularly. If that's a part of your daily routine, take one pair of dress shoes and pack running shoes, plus a t-shirt (the swim trunks can work as shorts).

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you everyone. Many helpful hints I will use on the next trip!! Cheers!

Posted by
121 posts

Richelle,
Great replies above. I would add talking to the staff at the local finer men's apparel store/department. They may have some ideas on how to pack suits to save space and avoid wrinkles.