Please sign in to post.

Packing

I can live out of a carryon but I always seem to take the wrong clothes - I freeze or melt. What would previous tour members suggest that I take on the Eastern European tour in early September?
Gerry

Posted by
3 posts

Great suggestions, but I will have to adapt some items.
This Gerry is a female!

Posted by
32324 posts

Gerry, As Brad suggested, layering is the key word, regardless of gender. I'd also suggest some type of light rain gear. While the weather should be reasonably good at that time of year, there could be the occasional day or two of rain. Happy travels!

Posted by
3428 posts

Layers are still what you need to plan for.But you are right it is a little different for us women. Here's what I usually took: Wear on plane: black cotton-blend pants, long sleeve turtleneck/T-shirt and a long-sleeved "big shirt" {button up that can look a bit like a jacket}, water resistant winter coat with hood, good walking shoes - black. Pack in carry-on suitcase: 2-3 pair black or khaki cotton-blend pants (I am allergic to wool and rather hot-natured), 3 or 4 T-shirts/turtlenecks (1 short sleeve, rest long) 1 or 2 "big shirts", optional 1-2 sweaters/cardigans/fleece that go with all of above, 3-5 bras, enough panties for at least 1 week (often enough for entire trip) same with socks, hand wipes, stain wipes, first aid "kit" in a baggie- band-aids, small packets of Neosporin, dental floss, Advil or Aleve, Benadryl, Dramamine, Nyquil gel capsules, etc.), sewing "kit"(various colors thread wrapped around a small piece of cardboard, 2 needles, buttons, safety pins), medications, medical info sheet, copy of insurance info, 3-1-1 bag with deodorant, perfume, shampoo, lipstick, chap stick, toothpaste, etc., another quart baggie with eye shadow, blush, powder, comb, brush, tweezers, razor, clippers, etc. , "feminine supplies" if needed, wash cloth in a baggie, gloves, hat or hooded scarf. Totally optional- scarves, phone, charger, adapter plug, camera & charger, extra memory cards for camera, paper & pen, extra shoe liners, umbrella, day pack. Hubby gets by with a bit less - no need to duplicate first aid/sewing kits, etc. My suitcase will weigh about 14-15 lbs. and his will weigh 10 or a little less.
We even did an around the world trip with the same type stuff! It all fits in Rick's bags that we bought more than 20 years ago and that still look almost new. I carry a day pack and move stuff into it as needed.

Posted by
12313 posts

It's all about layers. Start with a good water and wind proof shell. Under that I take two layering pieces, a fairly thin (not bulky) wool sweater and a 100 weight (lightest weight) full-zip polar fleece. If it's cold, I can wear all three over a t-shirt (or two) and button up shirt or I can wear each as a seperate outer garment when needed. I take five tops, some combination of t-shirts and button-up shirts. Three bottoms, two pairs of pants (normally docker style) and a pair of warm up pants, plus a swim trunk that works as a short or a short that works as a swim trunk. Make sure every top goes with every bottom and you have fifteen sets of clothes to work with. I pack three pairs of underarmor boxerjocks (6" or 9" inseam) and three identical pairs of sox (dark color to match all my pants. I could probably do with two pairs each because I hand wash one of each every day - but it's nice to also have an extra in case I can't hand wash one day. I bring one pair of black or brown shoes that are good for walking but can also dress up nicely enough for dinner at a restaurant or a show. I also bring a second pair of shoes for casual/walking - I like a lightweight hiker or trail running shoe. I always pick lightweight shoes (try lifting random shoes in a shoestore, some are very light, some feel like lead). Add a belt that matches your shoes, a small camera, passport, money belt, ATM and credit cards and you can go indefinitely.

Posted by
12313 posts

In addition to handwashing, plan a stop at a laundromat every two weeks to do a good wash. Finally, I don't pack these but if it gets REALLY cold, I stop in a store and buy a scarf, ski cap and gloves - then bring them home as souvenirs.

Posted by
676 posts

A few years ago I did a week in Stockholm, Helsinki with a day trip to Tallin with 1 backpack-book sized. Two pairs jeans (wore one), 4 tops (turtlenecks and short sleeved) and 1 gray wool sweater that I wore every day. Jacket, silk long underwear, socks, underwear, pajamas. I really didn't need all 4 tops cuz I washed and only wore 3. Washed underwear and socks in sink. Adapt as needed for the average temp. at places you'll be, but you can hand wash a lot of stuff-who cares if it's wrinkly?- and take less.