Please sign in to post.

Packing

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a smaller extra suitcase to take with me to Europe that could fold flat to be carried in my current suitcase. I will be in the UK, Italy and Turkey and intend on doing some shopping. I believe the current suitcase I have is a bit bigger than any of the ones currently being sold on RS currently. Thank you

Posted by
23548 posts

I don't think you could get another suitcase that folds that would not be very bulky. Most people use some type, many brands, of a light weight, folding bag, that can be used for your purchases. On return the purchased items are packed in the good suitcase and the soft clothing like shirts and underwear go into the light bag. Sometimes you can find some duffel bags that will work. Check backpack/sporting goods stores.

Posted by
222 posts

Hi Richelle, My husband and I always take the Rick Steves fold-away tote bag (other brands out there also). It is very small and light weight folded into it's own pocket. When opened up, it is quite large with a zip top and made from sturdy nylon. We put all our gifts/shopping in this bag and it becomes our carry-on when we fly home. Have fun!

Posted by
1297 posts

Another option is to purchase a small soft sided duffel bag. We had to do this one trip because we had to bring a large item that we needed to check. We bought a duffel bag similar to this: http://www.rei.com/product/795136/rei-classic-duffel-bag-medium We folded it up and tucked it into our suitcase (it does take up more space than the RS fold away pouch but we needed something larger that trip) We have also used a soft sided gym bag as well. That was even smaller and took up less room in the suitcase. Our purpose that trip was to keep our suitcases down below 13 lbs (an Air Lingus requirement at the time). We needed more clothes and could fit them in our suitcases, but they were then overweight. So we tucked a few things in my husbands duffel and check it. Then when we got there, we put the stuff in our suitcase along with the bag. I do own the RS fold away tote and bring it every trip as well. I use it to bring home what I buy if I need it. I did check it one time (stuffed full of dirty laundry) and it made it just fine. You should be able to find something that will work for you!

Posted by
19237 posts

First, I use a Campmor Essential Carryon as my primary bag when traveling in Europe. At 13x21x9, it's a little smaller than the max carryon size and only weighs 1#13oz. On a recent domestic trip, for reasons other than shopping, I brought along a Wayfair Goodhope (www.wayfair.com/Goodhope-Bags-Convertible-18-3-Way-Carry-On-Duffel-7260-GHB1367.html), flat but not folded, inside my CEC bag, along with clothes and gear for a 7 day trip. It's also a convertible backpack, 18x12x6½, and weighs about 2#.

Posted by
8700 posts

Eagle Creek has a packable duffel bag that comes with a storage pouch. The bag weighs 1 lb. It sells for $30.00 on amazon.com.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I plan to bring back many goodies this round!!

Posted by
1976 posts

I second the soft-sided duffle-type bag. LeSportSac makes well-made products, including a big shoulder bag that can be rolled or folded into a small bundle. They're pricey but you can find good deals at places like Marshalls / TJ Maxx or Nordstrom Rack.

Posted by
37 posts

I found a decent sized duffle bag the zips into a small square that I take on every trip I go on. Under $20 at Walmart yes Walmart.

Posted by
33464 posts

European and British hypermarkets and shopping centres and marketplaces sell cheap luggage.

Posted by
1568 posts

I used the soft sided duffle on my trip to Israel. After I had everything packed in my Rick Steves' 21" Roll Aboard....then laid the duffle on top. Worked great for bringing back extra stuff.

Posted by
713 posts

Richelle, do you intend to check the extra suitcase or carry it on? For a second checked bag on the flight home, I've also used a cheap ($12 clearance price) duffle bag from the sporting goods aisle at Target. It wasn't huge, more of a small/medium size. It went into my checked bag on the way over and was checked, full of my dirty clothes, for the trip home. I don't think it would stand up to repeated journeys as checked luggage, but was OK for one trip and would probably stand up to another. Of course, back when I did that, I wasn't charged for a second checked bag on that int'l flight even when flying economy. Nowadays I think I would be.