Please sign in to post.

Packing

For a 2 week multicity western europe itenerary what do you recommend?
What size backpack?
How many pants, shirts, shorts, dresses, jackets etc.
We will be travelling late may and early june.

Posted by
1883 posts

Pack for one week, do laundry. Travel bag should be carry on size; 22" x 11" x 9". That's for a wheeled bag, or a backpack.

You don't need more than 2 pairs of pants, perhaps one a capri. One pair of shorts. 5-7 tops/t-shirts/tanks, 1 long sleeve top. (variety so you can adjust to the temp and location) One sweater is nice for layering, or wear around your shoulders as they do in Europe to have handy in cooler churches or at night. Don't need skirts/dresses, waste of space unless you plan fancy meals fancy restaurants.

One rain proof, lightweight jacket and a light fleece jacket for layers (carry on the plane, don't pack)

2 pairs of shoes, one closed toe (wear on the plane) one sandal for more casual wear, and in the hotel. It's nice to be able to switch footwear, just in case of blisters or cooler temps.

Plan your undergarments the same way...pack for one week, and wash in the sink. 5-7 pair or panties, and 2 bras...so you can switch out.

Posted by
3428 posts

For a trip of 5 days to 3 weeks I wear black pants, t-shirt, "big shirt" (button up shirt that can be worn as a light jacket over Ts or sweaters, or alone), wind-breaker type rain jacket with hood, black walking shoes on the plane and pack:
2 pair pants (khaki or black- cotton blend docker style), 3-4 Ts, 1 polo maybe, 1 "big shirt". You might want to include capris or shorts- I don't wear them, and a light weight sweater. I also throw in a couple of scarves that coordinate with my tops- a black shirt with black pants and a cool scarf goes almost anywhere. Take a pair of sandles if you want- I don't.

EDIT: Also- 5-7 pair socks, 5-7 pair panties (I go with cotton), 3-4 bras. Pajamas/yoga pants or shorts/T for bed. If staying in hostles- take flip-flops for the shower and an absorbent towel.

Posted by
23 posts

This is what I took last year for a 2-week trip to France in May: 3 prs pants (wore 1 pair on plane, packed 2), 5 shirts--2 long-sleeved for layering (bought 1 t-shirt in France), 0 dresses, 1 jacket, 1 lightweight fleece pullover, 2 prs shoes. Washed in the sink as I went along, and then lucked out and stayed in an apt with a washing machine the 2nd week. Only 1 pair of pants were jeans because they take so long to dry! We didn't go anywhere that required anything particularly dressy.

Posted by
518 posts

Speaking of washing things out in the sink -- Last year we bought these little packets of soap sheets. One of the sheets -- or maybe 2 -- would do a sink of clothes. They were great. No liquids to deal with. We got them at a travel store.

Posted by
316 posts

Here's my standard packing list: pack 2 pairs pants, wear one; pack 3 shirts, wear one; pack 4 pairs underwear, wear one; bras, pack one, wear one; socks, wear 1, pack 3. One waterproof jacket with hood, sweater depending on where you're going. I've gone with less but you won't have to wash things out each night this way and you won't have too many of anything. I take nylon underwear because it dries quickly. One pair of walking shoes and 1 pair sandals is also plenty.

Posted by
2788 posts

As Steve says, use the Rick Steves guidelines. Have you researched other parts of this web site to find topics specifically related to you question? If not, they can provide you with much helpful information that I started out with and have fine tuned every year.

Posted by
32213 posts

Chantielle,

Some people determine their packing method by laying everything they plan on taking out on the bed. If it will fit into whatever size luggage you're using, they're ready to go. If there are too many items, some "paring down" will be necessary.

Regarding Backpack size, a 65L pack is a satisfactory size, but having a model with a detachable Daypack is also a good idea. It's just about certain that you'll have to check a pack of that size, so the Daypack works well for carry-on. Depending on how comfortable you are carrying a pack, you could consider something slightly larger, perhaps 70-75L.

I assume from your comments that you haven't purchased your Pack yet? A few things to consider...

As mentioned, a detachable Daypack is a good feature. Another feature I really like is a "stowable harness", whereby the harness is stowed behind a zippered panel during air travel. That helps to avoid the straps being torn off by airport conveyor systems.

I also prefer a panel load pack (with lockable zippers) as opposed to a top load pack. This is somewhat a matter of personal preference, but I've just ordered a new pack and it's also a panel load design.

The most important point in choosing a Pack is to make sure that you're properly fitted for torso length! Most of the weight should rest on your hips, not your shoulders. Some travellers arent' too concerned with this because in most cases the pack is only worn for a short time from the train station to the Hotel or whatever. However, I've had a few occasions when I had to wear the pack for 1-2 hours and I can tell you from experience that proper fit is important!!!

If you haven't bought a pack, have a look at Eagle Creek or Osprey packs.

Cheers!

Posted by
121 posts

Right I have not yet purchased a pack. I have tried on a bunch, but not found one that I like perfectly just yet, and maybe I won't.

I am barely 5'4 and have a short torso so finding that fits well seems to be a challenge. I used to be a firefighter so I know all too well about carrying heavy packs, and it works so much better when they sit on your hips, I agree!!

Any ideas where I might find a good pack for my height would be great. Also what is a good price to pay for a pack? It seems they range from about $100 all the way up to $300 or so.

Posted by
5678 posts

I bought my backpack at REI. The staff at REI was very helpful in finding a backpack that fit my frame and ability. I was amazed at the difference that it to have a backpack that fit me. Pam

Posted by
1883 posts

I used this pack on a trip last year. it was perfect. the hood held extra stuff (like my 1qt bag with liquids for going through security). I also took a pacsaf shoulder bag for day trips...that held my camera and money and stuff I needed, like a guide book.
The pack fit in the overhead compartment on the plane, no issues, and it fit overhead on trains as well.

http://www.ebags.com/product/high-sierra/col-35-suspension-backpack-limited-time-offer/88517

Posted by
32213 posts

Chantielle,

To find Backpacks, you might check the manufacturer's websites, as they usually have a list of local dealers that stock their products. You could also try larger retailers like REI (not sure what's available in your area).

The manufacturer's websites will normally provide information on the torso range for each pack. NOTE that some packs in both the Eagle Creek and Osprey lines are specifically designed to fit women.

If you're trying on Packs, any competent sales person can measure your torso length for proper fit. If possible try the pack fully loaded to see whether it's going to work for you. The fact that you're 5'4" should not prevent you from finding a Pack that fits.

Good luck!

Posted by
19099 posts

I have never been successful at finding a laundromat in Germany, so I don't plan on washing everything mid-trip. And, if I just took old clothes for two weeks and threw them out as I went, my bag would be far to big and heavy when I left the U.S.

Other than slacks, I take along only enough underwear and shirts for a few days and plan on washing things as I go, every day.

I use a carryon bag slightly smaller than the ETBD Convertible bag. For my last trip it weighed between 10 and 15 #. I have a packing list I have used, with modifications, for 8 trips. A lot of my clothing is cotton/polyester blend, picked specifically for it's fast drying properties.

To see my packing list, how I organize everything, and how I wash on the go, visit my web page.

Posted by
463 posts

i'm taking a kelty redwing 2650 for a four week trip; it is much smaller than most carry on bags, but still very roomy. (linked below and pictured on the post--scroll all the way to the bottom of the post to see me wearing it backwards--i'm 5ft 5in tall) i've already 'practice packed', and five pairs of underwear, an extra bra, five summer dresses and a pair of capris (for riding bikes) fit with lots of room to spare--it is only maybe half full. this includes room for my netbook, kindle, and a pacsafe purse that i will have to pack into the main bag for travel on easyjet.

http://elbodans.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/backpack-verdict/

Posted by
19099 posts

"kelty redwing 2650...; it is much smaller than most carry on bags".

Excuse me. It might be "much smaller" than most illegal carryon bags, but the Kelty Redwing exceeds both the allowable height and width by ½" and the allowable depth (3rd dimension) by a full 5½ inches. It is not a legal carryon. My carryon is smaller than the maximum carryon size (22x16x8) for Lufthansa (and most airlines).

And at 3.2# it is 1½# heavier empty than my OP Essential Carryon bag.

Posted by
441 posts

Look at the High Sierra Passport. It's about 46 liters, panel loading, a travel pack(straps can be covered) and made for shorter people. I took one to Hawaii last November and it held all I needed for a week.

Posted by
123 posts

Hi!! I'm 5ft and I was worried about finding the right backpack to fit my size. I went to REI and they were sooo helpful to find me the proper fitting bag. I was told it would have no problems as carry-on.

I got women specific Gregory Jade 60 (size XS) 54 Liters capacity - top loading
http://www.rei.com/product/794532 They have a 20% off coupon until 4/18.

@Ken - I saw you recommended a pack 65-70Ls. For my 18 day trip I hope 54L + day pack will be enough. I imagine companies adjust frame size to bag capacity.

Posted by
3428 posts

I am just over 5 ft. tall. I have used one of Rick's bags for more than 20 years. I often use it in "backpack" mode and find it very comfortable. We don't camp, or hike extensively- just carry the bag from airport to hotel, to trains, etc. It holds plenty, is easy to pack and unpack and still looks new after more than 40 trips in 20+ years.

Posted by
463 posts

In reference to the above, the dimensions given (22.5 x 16.5 x 13.5) assume the bag is packed to capacity. As you will note, mine will not be. I checked the Aer Lingus website, and even filled almost to capacity, it will still 'fit', as long as I do not exceed 22lbs. Weight is another issue, and not stuffing a bag to capacity will also help with this. I didn't originally know about the weight thing, and I'm glad someone (someone on this very helpline) pointed that out to me.

Though the Redwing is 6 linear inches larger (again, filled to the brim) than the max size, but it is still 'much' smaller than most actual carry on bags--and it is soft-sided and squishy, unlike many wheeled bags. I have an actual carry on--a Tommy Hilfinger hot pink wheeled carry on--that I've used on multiple trips, and the Redwing IS smaller. To add to that, looking around me on the plane, my original pink carry on has always been smaller than what 'most people' bring aboard. Likely they are breaking the rules too--in fact, I know many of them are, as I've seen giant, external frame backpacks carried on (it seems that would be awkward to travel with, but perhaps that's just weak little me!) It is also smaller than the eBags weekender that I ordered and sent back, and the eBags weekender is 'airline approved'.

Posted by
32213 posts

Salsachica,

"@Ken - I saw you recommended a pack 65-70Ls. For my 18 day trip I hope 54L + day pack will be enough. I imagine companies adjust frame size to bag capacity"

That's about the size of my present Backpack, and from what I've seen that's a good mid-range size. I'm somewhat "larger" so a pack of that size is not difficult to carry.

However, this means I have to check my main Pack and use the Daypack for carry-on.

Cheers!

Posted by
12172 posts

I think one of the best pieces of advice I've seen is pack for four days whether you're going for a weekend or a month.

I don't really do that. Including what I'm wearing, I carry five tops (mixture of button up shirts and t-shirts), three pants, one pair of shorts/swim trunks, two pairs of shoes, three pairs socks, three underwear, one or two warm layers (light sweater/lightweight fleece) and a rain shell.

Everything needs to be worn multiple ways. Bringing a dress and a pair of matching shoes as "one outfit" won't get you far.

I pack as little cotton as possible (usually none at all). Non-cotton is easier to hand wash/dry plus usually looks better out of your bag or after being hang-dried.

My shoes are: One pair good for walking and dressing up. Second pair good for walking dressing casually. If I were a woman, I would wear one really comfortable walking shoe and pack a light pair of sandals that can be worn dressy at night or with shorts to the beach or picnic in a park.

My socks are three pairs of the exact same sock. Usually a non-cotton black crew sock (If brown matched everything I pack, I might go with three brown pairs of socks). If I lose a sock or two, I still have usable pairs of socks (rather than feeling akward in unmatched socks).

I did a visual men's pack list on polyvore:

http://www.polyvore.com/mens_travel_pack_list/set?id=1440268

Lee,

I like your clothespins, I may add a few next time.