Please sign in to post.

Packing cubes

Looking for recommendations on packing cubes. Pros/Cons/Brands…Contemplating getting some and would like to hear what others experiences have been with them and brands they would/wouldn’t recommend. TIA!

Posted by
180 posts

In terms of brand recommendation, I don't remember what brand we have but in terms of experiences: We took a 3 week trip to the UK in 2019. We used packing cubes and they were really helpful. The best experience was during our 8 day walking tour in the Cotswolds. We moved accommodations every day (tour transported the luggage). So we were essentially living our of our suitcases for the 8 days. The cubes helped keep everything neat, organized and easy to access. Sort of like taking your own dresser or shelves along with you. We never travel without them now.

Posted by
2267 posts

I'm a big fan of packing cubes, and have a variety from different companies, from Amazon cheapos to Osprey on the high end.

It might be a matter of "our brains all work differently", but they fundamentally help me be and feel more organized. I generally use a cube-per-category: shirts, pants, underwear, etc... Occasionally it's a cube-per-outfit. When a check a bag I always pack an outfit in a cube for my carry-on. One case where I feel they are super valuable to me is a faster-paces, multi-hotel itinerary, like a tour. I pair them with a larger-than-necessary suitcase, and it makes living out of the suitcase for one-night stays and packing for 8 am busses easier.

One thing I've learned is not to use too many of the compression type, but mix them with 'regular'. They can compress so tightly that they become inflexible packages, and don't mold to the voids in a case like loosers cubes or loose clothes.

Posted by
7278 posts

My first suggestion is to measure the interior of your suitcase or backpack to determine which dimensions will work the best. I used an Eddie Bauer expedition 2-wheel on previous trips, and the large RS mesh packing cube and one small RS mesh worked nicely, plus my flat LLBean toiletry kit on top of the smaller cube.

I’ve also used the Eagle Creek lightest material shoe bags (same fabrics as their better quality cubes) either holding shoes, or I like them as a dirty clothes container, or occasional instead of the RS small mesh cube.

Pros & cons:
I try to pack lighter on each trip, so I’m at the point of weighing the cubes to see which ones I will bring. I’m actually using a Cotopaxi Allpa 35L for the first time on this current trip, and I didn’t even need packing cube’s because of the internal design.

I like that the RS cubes are open mesh, so air can circulate a bit. But a con is that I had to be careful and not have anything stacked near them that will catch on the mesh. I like that it’s easy to see what’s in this type. The solid fabric cubes are harder to distinguish, so buy different colors if you’re going that route to know which cube to grab.

Others can give advice for people who roll their clothes. I’ve never packed my cubes full - used more as a way to keep the items organized and not shifting around,

Price - some can be very spendy! Sarah Murdoch has made a video comparing several different brands at different prices and how they perform for her. I would look at that video, also.

Posted by
11156 posts

I have traveled with packing cubes for many years and can ‘t imagine traveling without them. I use each one for a different category,i.e., one for underwear, one for short sleeved tops and so on.
They are, to me, a necessity when packing. I take a 22” suitcase and the packing cubes help me find what I’m looking for too. I have ann assortment from Eagle Creek and Rick Steve’s.

Posted by
6299 posts

The solid fabric cubes are harder to distinguish, so buy different colors if you’re going that route to know which cube to grab.

Yes, but my Calpak cubes have labels, Jean! And they're such a pretty shade of pink! 🤪

Posted by
4573 posts

I like the super light Eagle Creek ones, but I am not sure they still sell them.
I prefer medium or small sizes, often large is too big for my carry on only packing style.
I pack them full as this helps keep clothing less wrinkled (I use a lot lf rayon and linen blends).
Some love compression cubes, but keep in mind the clothing weighs the same. If you are tempted to add more as you now have the space, remember that adds weight.
Also, head over to the Packing forum or so a search. Many threads about packing cubes.

Posted by
13934 posts

I also use a variety of cubes. I have Eagle Creek sil-nylon (very lightweight cubes) as well as some cubes by the blogger Travel Fashion Girl that sit upright and like books in your suitcase. I was going for very lightweight last Fall so weighed every cube and pouch that I own and made decisions based on that. This last trip I was gone longer (5.5 weeks) so went back to using the TFG cube (which is a little heavier) for shirts and the very lightweight EC cube for underwear/socks/pjs/etc.

Be cautious about getting cubes that are "too big". I want a cube that is also going to limit how much I take. I have both compression cubes and non-compression cubes. This last trip I compressed my shirts but did not use a compression cube for my underthings. The extra zipper on some of the compression cubes also adds weight. I need to keep my bag under 20# so I can lift it overhead into the bins on the plane or to the shelf on European trains so I'm conscious of even the partial ounce that the extra zipper adds.

IF I were starting, I might go for the very cute compression cubes that a few of the travel bloggers I follow recommend. I love the National Parks set!! This is an Amazon link to the Amazon store of Travel Tips by Laurie. No affiliation with her whatsoever...just like her vlog.

https://tinyurl.com/3ynxx2b8

I love the designs on Mardee's Calpack cubes too!

Posted by
315 posts

I use an older version of this set from Amazon . The pictures make them look very structured, but they are not. Very lightweight nylon, I've had mine for years so they are pretty durable. They are not compression cubes (note that while compression cubes can reduce volume, they do not reduce weight). I use the "Marie Kondo" method of folding clothes into thirds, then in half and everything fits nicely. Depending on the travel, I also use a packing cube or cubes in my backpack on the plane to have a change of clothes, etc in case my carry-on ends up getting checked. Love them.

Posted by
2375 posts

I also use the super lightweight EagleCreek cubes. They came in a number of colors/patterns so it's easy to know what's in them. Glad I bought a lifetime supply before they stopped making them.

They make things easy to find, and easy to repack a suitcase. Nothing goes into my suitcase loose. I do 3 main cubes: pants, tops, and under things, and some other categories in smaller cubes. It will take a trip or 2 to come up with a system that works for your needs. The only trip I don't use them is when I'm going to be in one place and unpacking once.

Posted by
1922 posts

Some years back, I got a set of packing cubes from Amazon.

One thing that I use one cube for is my technology, all my chargers. That is helpful -- to keep them all in one place and to not having to go looking for them.

Another one is for some of my personal papers. That is helpful too.

Another one is for my travel information, brochures, maps, etc.

Posted by
213 posts

I have the Rick Steves ones and like them. The mesh makes it easy to see what’s inside and they’re lightweight. I’ve seen some others that fell heavy and are more like another travel bag on their own, with big handles and such. I have a RS bag, and the RS cubes are a good fit. I agree with one of the previous posters who suggested measuring your bag to find cubes that will fit well.

Posted by
138 posts

We bought compression packing cubes last year for our family (four) trip to Europe - 23 days for husband, son and me; one month for daughter. We all packed in carry-on suitcases. The compression cubes kept us organized and allowed up to bring what we needed.

We live on the Gulf Coast and in February traveled to see our daughter in New York for several days. Obviously we were packing bulky, cold-weather clothing, and we each had a carryon and personal item bag. When we left NYC for the flight home, I was able to pack my knee-high boots in my carry on suitcase because of the compression cubes.

Posted by
237 posts

I have Bago and E-bags packing cubes. I like them both. They both have grab handles which is nice.

I didn't think I would be a packing cube person, but after trying them once I was a convert. Easy to know what is where in the suitcase and also makes it easier to "Tetris" how things fit in the suitcase. Also if you have a soft tote bag / backpack with a toothbrush and change of clothes, they help hold the structure of the soft bag. Otherwise everything sinks to the bottom. You can also use the small ones for a first aid and / or emergency kit in your daypack.

For traveling with family, I like the idea of each member having their own color, so if you cross-pack, you know each person has at least one change of clothes in another suitcase.

What I don't like is that you can't buy individual cubes. Most of them come in sets with a variety of sizes. There is one company, Dot and Dot on Amazon that sells sets of all one size, but the sets are 5 pieces.

Sarah Murdoch endorses one that has 2 sides, one side for clean and the other dirty clothes. She uses it as rolled clothes and folded clothes sides. Might want to consider how you would pack clean and dirty clothes separately if your trip involves multiple locations. I still use a hotel plastic laundry bag or kitchen trash bag for the dirty clothes and just lay it as flat as possible under or over the cubes.

I haven't tried compression cubes. It think they would come in handy for bulky winter clothes like sweaters or sweats. Might be good for reducing the volume of the underwear and socks cube too.

Posted by
6299 posts

I love the designs on Mardee's Calpack cubes too!

And I love your National Park packing cubes! So many packing cubes; so little money... 🤣

Posted by
10218 posts

I have and use the RS cubes, sold on this site, and an Eagle Creek cube that I only use when I’m using an Eagle Creek tote bag for a weekend trip. Last year I bought some compression cubes (got them on Amazon and don’t remember the brand) and I ended up not using them. I preferred my R.S. Cubes. Been using them over many trips since 2006 and they are like new.

Posted by
406 posts

I also use the very large ziplock bags as packing cubes. I think they are 2 gallon size. Not always easy to find. But they are see through and very very lightweight. Depends on the bag I decide to use whether I do ziplock or cubes. Cubes are more convenient for living out of a suitcase when you move every couple of days.

Posted by
127 posts

Thanks all for all the helpful comments! Much appreciated. Will be buying some cubes for our upcoming trip!

Posted by
739 posts

I may use my cubes differently then others. i use them like mini suitcases. By this i mean that if i have 3 cubes then i put 1/3 of pretty much everything into each cube (within reason) So i only have. to open one cube at a time so i dont have as much chance to lose something and i don't have to sort through everything in my whole suitcase.

Posted by
1188 posts

I was a packing cube opponent for the longest time. It seemed counterintuitive to me to add extra weight for cubes when I'm trying to pack as light as possible.

For our trip to Spain last year, I had run out of things to plan or to buy, so I impulsively bought a set of the following Bagail packing cubes for about $20:

https://www.amazon.com/Packing-Various-Travel-Luggage-Organizers/dp/B07D4F1T2L/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2KDC9E0AO87B8&keywords=bagail+6+set+packing+cubes&qid=1686030112&sprefix=bagail+6%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRk9SSVNDVE4wRExNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTc1MDU3M1NDMjJXMTlEQUhVSiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTg1Mzg5SEJaWEc5SThYWlRCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

There are six cubes, two sets of small, medium and large cubes. The cubes were split between me and my wife.

The nice thing about these cubes is that they fit a carry-on size luggage almost perfectly. The small (underwear and socks) and medium (shirts) nest perfectly on top of the large (jacket, pants and shorts).

There are enough gaps between the cubes to carry other stuff, like toiletry bag and electronics bag.

If I have to open my bag for inspection, the cubes make it easier to repack. Some hotels did not have drawers so I just left the clothes in the cubes to keep them organized.

I don't think compression bags are necessary. These cubes will compress down when you squeeze them into the carry-on pack.

I have to admit that I am now a packing cube convert.

Posted by
2018 posts

I have tried packing cubes years ago, but it was not for me.

I did buy some for our camper van trip next month though. I wanted to have all of our clothing etc organized and in the cubes it is easier to stash in various areas of the van. I found these on Amazon for $29. I bought the orange for myself and the blue for my husband. I purposely chose bright colors so we could find them, and the different colors so that we would know whose was whose.

GOX Ultra Light 5 piece Packing Cubes Travel Luggage Organizer 1 Large 2 Medium 2 Small (Orange)

Posted by
6299 posts

I may use my cubes differently then others. I use them like mini suitcases.

Douglas, all of us use them in different ways. Some use them to compress clothes so that they can pack more. (Most of us here do not do that). :) I usually put my undies, bras, socks in one so that they are together and then shirts in one and pants in another (although that may vary depending on the trip). But whatever works for you is what you should do.

I have tried packing cubes years ago, but it was not for me.

mikliz97, it sounds like you are giving them a try again, and I do think it's worth another try. I used them years ago as well, and did not like packing cubes at all. It wasn't until last year that I finally bit the bullet and tried them again, and now I love them! They're just so great for organizing.

Posted by
4318 posts

I usually do not have checked luggage. I use the regular Eagle Creek, including the one with the waterproof side for wet items, and also the lightweight and compressible Lewis and Clark ones. One of the great things about packing cubes is how easy it is to unpack-just put the cubes in the drawers of dresser. I organize mine by type of clothing, but a friend makes a cube for each day of her trip, which makes unpacking even easier. I'm pretty sure she checks luggage though.

Posted by
10218 posts

I always use cubes, both local and domestic, and I keep my clothes in them throughout the trip. If staying somewhere more than a couple of nights (which is most of the time) I take the cubes out of my suitcase and put them in the drawers, on shelves or whatever is provided.

Posted by
237 posts

I may use my cubes differently then others. i use them like mini
suitcases.

I do this with the underseat bag. Cube for overnight kit - pjs, undies. Cube for change of clothes - top, bottom, socks, undies. May consolidate this into one cube. Duplicate on the undies because "overnight" may turn into more than a day. Want one to wash and one to wear.

Posted by
595 posts

I use compression bags, Rick calls them "flat packs." I put a day's outfit in each one, except socks and undies go at the bottom of the case in the valleys between the bars that support the suitcase handle. I prefer clear ones. Mine are labeled with the day of the week written on with a Sharpie (mainly because I don't bring as many pairs of slacks as I do tops). They work equally well for dirty clothes, but don't send them out to a laundry because we once had a place staple a tag into the bag, so that bag no longer compresses!

Posted by
2018 posts

Mardee--I am always open to trying things a second time. The first ones I used were Eagle Creek and just too bulky and heavy. The ones I bought are less than a pound for the entire set. If I remember, I may try them out for camping this weekend and another trip to moms at the end of the month.

Posted by
491 posts

I use them and like them. I used to think they were a joke but they came with a RS bag and I decided to give them a try. They get the job done. I stole the ones from my wife's bag. She's more into trying to overstuff and overpack her bag so she did not have much interest in them. Her loss, my gain. Now I have a few spares including one for dirty clothes.

Posted by
4 posts

I really like using the Eagle Creek Pack It Reveal Garment Folder...especially for shirts, blouses, and sweaters. It has a nice insert that has instructions on how to fold various garments and helps to push them compact when you bring in the four velcro sleeves. Although the entire case is compacted down to half the size of the clothing inside it, the folded clothes stay nice and wrinkle free.

I also love that it fits nicely in the top compartment of the Rick Steves Ravenna Rolling Case with room around it for smaller items. Won't travel without it!

https://www.eaglecreek.com/products/pack-it-reveal-garment-folder-m?variant=39788347916425

Posted by
6299 posts

I may try them out for camping this weekend and another trip to moms at the end of the month.

That sounds like a good idea. The first time I tried them out (for the 2nd time) was a 2 week trip to visit my brother and SIL in Naples, FL. I just put them in the drawers and everything worked out well. I wouldn't try them for the first time on a European trip.

Posted by
2018 posts

Mardee--I tried them out this weekend and they worked great. Especially to keep the dog hair off of my clothes, lol. In a small tent with 2 dogs, that is a feat in itself! I loved the ones I bought as they are super lightweight. I took the LeSportSac Medium Deluxe Weekender bag, which measures 11.5H x 15.5W x 7.75D, and that along with the cubes was perfect.

Posted by
2047 posts

The Eagle Creek super light packing cubes are called Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter cubes. Amazon sells sets, but looks like most are white. Like that they add little bulk or weight. They have gotten wuite expensive.

Posted by
127 posts

Thanks all for the helpful input! I wound up buying a set and got everything packed up quite nicely. We will see how it progresses along the way of the trip. But, I really like how organized it has made everything!