Please sign in to post.

Packing Advice for Europe in late May/early June, 21 days

Hi,
I am female and need advice on what clothes to pack for the Best of Europe in 21 days tour that is leaving in late May 2015 and going into early June. This is my first trip to Europe, so I could really use some advice! Thanks!

Posted by
104 posts

Hello Summer,

We offer a free video on our Packing Light and Right travel lecture. You can watch this video
here. The packing list for women is really good (link given in previous comment). These are the slight changes I personally made to the list and I think it works better for me, perhaps you will agree.
-For my PJs I bring a T-shirt I would wear outside also, if necessary, and leggings I could wear under a skirt or dress for layers if needed when it is cold. I bring one other pair of full pants (I will wear on the plane over), one pair of Capris and one skirt or dress (that I can dress up, pair with the flats and go out for a nice dinner in). I take a light weight zipping hoody jacket, a pullover sweater-cashmere and a cashmere poncho. The poncho can be a blanket, pillow, light jacket and extra warmth over my hoody jacket. For shoes I take 1 pair ballet flats, 1 pair light weight sandals and I wear on the plane a nicer looking BLACK pair of tennis shoes (brands like Coach or puma have some really comfy, stain resistant and stylish shoes). If all else fails go shopping in Europe! Cool clothes make a great souvenir. The H&M stores are everywhere/ bigger than in the USA and C&A stores in German and Benelux countries are great too. I hope this helps!

Posted by
13968 posts

Don't know where you live so don't know your cold tolerance but I was glad I had a fleece vest and light gloves for the day in Switzerland. The afternoon was warm enough that I didnt need the vest or gloves the first week this Sept.

Our guide told us for both his trips to the Lauterbrunnen Valley in June there was snow on the trail and he had to shovel steps into the snow for his groups to hike. I would have sturdy athletic shoes but not necessarily hiking boots.

Definitely take a waterproof jacket. I like the Marmot Precip which will fold up in my purse. I did Heart of Italy in May 2013 and had a lot of rain. I had a lot of rain in Sept this year in Southern Germany and Austria.

I would take a pr of capris for Italy and 2 pr of long pants for the rest of the time. If you can find the ones that roll into capris that's great.

I like cardigans so have 3 with me (gone 8weeks) which was overkill. Should have brought 2 only. I have 1 long sleeve tee and 5short sleeve Tees which has worked out great. I use the Lands End cotton modal Tees which have mostly dried overnight.

The 21 day tour is awesome. I had a wonderful wonderful time. You just cant imagine the block buster sights every single day. Wow!!

Posted by
14 posts

Colette,

Thanks, I have read the packing list for women before, but was hoping for personal advice from other travelers.

Pam and Sarah, thanks for the link and details on what to bring, very helpful! :)

Does anyone else have recommendations for women's clothes that are wrinkle-resistant and dry quickly? Thanks so much!

Posted by
2135 posts

Hi Summer, I wear a lot of Lands End clothing (T-shirts, fleece) at home and when traveling. For my last trip I also purchased a few items from Eddie Bauer (Travel Ex parka, pants, shorts - very lightweight and look great). The key is to find things that mix and match, dry quickly, and don't look wrinkled. Hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
552 posts

The 21st century poly microfibers are what you're looking for. No ironing needed, even when rolled. Modal blends need to be packed a bit more carefully (use the 'envelope') but work great for museum to restaurant midday activities.

After hours, you will always find my wife and I in cotton lounge clothes.

So,... we sleep in cotton (one set of pj's), but sightsee in microfibers.

Posted by
1501 posts

You sound young, but Chico's has a whole line of travelers clothes, and you will be surprised how young they are now. Even my daughter has some! I've had good luck washing and drying by hand, but they don't dry as fast as the microfiber stuff, but there are more "dressy" outfits here that you can wear over and over again by switching scarves, etc. They take very little room and don't wrinkle.

Posted by
13968 posts

You've also got time to buy some things now (or see what youve already got that will work) and see how long they take to dry. I use a 2gal ziplock that's been reinforced along the seams with mailing tape to do my wash in. I take a plastic coat hanger and 2 clothes pins as well.

Also start thinking about colors as you will absolutely want everything to go together as someone said upthread. No one will really notice what you are wearing as everyone will be busy looking at the jaw-dropping sights. Everyone else will also be wearing the same clothes over and over!

Posted by
2127 posts

Here's another vote for the Lands End modal t- shirts. Comfy, don't take much space in suitcase, dry overnight, lots of colors.

And if you have an Eddie Bauer store near you, I encourage you to look at their Travelex line. I bought some pants with a short matching jacket & just wore it almost non-stop for 3 weeks in Belgium, Germany & Amsterdam. Doesn't wrinkle, is water repellent, comfy fabric, zippered pockets in both pants & jacket. Jacket was small enough to put in backpack if the day got warm. Looks stylish too -- slim fitting, stretchy fabric. Absolutely loved it.

Posted by
731 posts

I've watched the packing video too but I'm so glad you posted your request for advice here! I have learned a lot. We have an Eddie Bauer outlet store at the mall here and I plan on doing some shopping very soon!

You may be able to wear sandles in June and I have some Ahnu sandles that are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I think whatever you bring you will need to make sure they are good for your feet. Nothing can ruin a vacation more than ill fitting shoes!

Posted by
1221 posts

My local Eddie Bauer is doing 50-70% off select summer travel clothing right now, so check it out sooner than later.

Posted by
333 posts

Summer, I'm also taking the Best of Europe 21 days tour~ shortly before you, as I'm going early May to late May. I too was wondering about weather in Switzerland especially. I plan to pack a longish windbreaker/raincoat and a couple of sweaters for layering. But if I'm hiking in the Alps, will that be warm enough? Should I bring gloves and a hat? I'm also really, REALLY hoping to paraglide while in the Alps. I'm so excited- but how to dress? With my pre and post trip plans, I'll be living out of a carry-on for five weeks. Scary! On my first trip to Europe/Russia two years ago, I brought a giant suitcase to check plus my carry-on. After having to tackle that for a very unpleasant mile plus walk to our ship (with a broken suitcase wheel on my brand new suitcase- thanks to rough handling at the airport), I swore if I ever got the chance to go to Europe again, I'd pack LIGHT!

Posted by
507 posts

I notice Eddie Bauer sells women's convertible slacks. With the glide of a zipper they become shorts. Will be headed into the "big city" later to try them on & see what size I am.

With the holidays coming up, it will go on my "wish list."

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you to everyone for the great advice!! I will definitely check out Lands End, Eddie Bauer, Chicos and 21st century microfiber clothing!