Please sign in to post.

Packing

I will be traveling to England in July, 2008 for ten days. I am thinking of taking one-piece of carry-on luggage only. I have several questionsthat I would appreciate people's opinions: 1) What is the size of the luggage that I am allowed to bring on the airplane? 2) May I take a smaller bag on the airplane along with one carry-on piece of luggage? Thank you for your help.
--Bill
Portland, OR

Posted by
1806 posts

Size and weight restrictions for carry-on luggage can vary from airline to airline.

Go to the airlines website that you plan on flying with and check the exact dimensions and weight limit there.

One carry-on means one-carry on ONLY...although I have sometimes successfully been able to get through security with a small purse and my carry-on. But most airlines are being more diligent about their rules now...you never know with the screeners or flight attendants.

Posted by
808 posts

William
Good advise from Ceidleh.

The Passenger Service Agents at the Check-in Counter are primarily responsible for determining whether or not your luggage is over size or over weight.

The Flight Crew, on occaision, will notice a carry on bag that is over size and has somehow gone unnoticed my the PSA's. In which case, the Pax (Passenger) will be required to check their bag if it does not fit under the seat ahead of you or can not be safely stowed in the overhead bins. It's all about safety and not to inconvenience anyone.

Checking a bag last minute has the potential to delay pushback. I would not suggest anyone try to sneak on a bag by not presenting it at the counter. Some Pax try to do that by leaving it with a non-travelling companion until they go through security. We always know when someone tries this. Bags not presented at check in will not have the "Cabin Luggage" sticker on them. I don't know if all Airlines have this "sticker" procedure, but many do. We usually find one or two "sneakers" on every flight...

Posted by
15275 posts

The major U.S. airlines have announced they will have their people at the security lines to pull pax out who have bags that are too big. You can pay them the "checked baggage fee" at that time.

U.S. Air says that if you make it to the gate with an oversized bag, you can check it for free. (This should make a lot of pax really angry--especially those that followed the rules and paid to check.)

European carriers all have their own carry-on rules. It's best to check with the airlines you are flying to see what they allow.

And don't be surprised to see the carry-on rules get tighter as the airlines start to make money from checked bags.

Posted by
12172 posts

Each airline has their own rules. If you change airlines, the airline that sold you the ticket (rules on your ticket) will apply.

Even within an airline, there are different rules now that depend on the date you purchased your ticket. Everyone needs to know the rules on their ticket.

Most US airlines allow your carry-on plus a small personal item. The normal carry-on size is 45" total (length + width + height) but check your airline to make sure. Airlines are now adding weight restrictions to the size limits, so check those.

A personal item can be a purse, briefcase, laptop bag, etc. As times get leaner, airlines are adding size and weight limits to the personal item or eliminating it altogether.

I always board the plane with one carry on bag, an E-bags convertible carry-on. The whole thing adds up to about 15 pounds plus snacks and water. Inside I have a RS Civita daypack that I pull out when I stow my bag in the overhead bin. The daypack has a sweater, snacks, water and my toiletries. I stick the daypack under the seat for the flight.

Here is my visual pack list (I got tired of writing it out):

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=1440268

Posted by
69 posts

When I flew home from London last year on Continental, they let me have ONE carry-on! My friend couldn't even carry her pillow seperate. Everything had to be in one bag going through security.

Posted by
805 posts

Stella, that's a UK-specific rule, that has nothing to do with the airlines.

Posted by
69 posts

Thanks David but seeing as how William is traveling to ENGLAND I thought it was a pretty valid point to bring up.

Posted by
15275 posts

If you go to the website below, and choose which UK airport you're flying home from, it will give you the rules for carry-on for that airport. Then go to the airline your flying's website and see what their rules are.

Whosever rule is stricter is the one to go by:

Airports

Posted by
1158 posts

UK is the worst speaking of luggage allowance in general. Last year they allowed only one piece of luggage in the airplane. I think this was imposed by any airline carrier, but it's best to check with your airline for the lateast rules before you go.When I say before you go, I mean a week or even less ahead of time. Rules change often.

Posted by
9363 posts

Stella, as David told you, the one-carryon rule that you experienced was UK-specific. Continental allows one carry-on and a personal item on flights from here TO the UK. And since William is traveling from here, he can take one carry-on and a personal item.

Posted by
69 posts

Well thank you Nancy as well. I am not an idiot. I was answering his question as I ASSUME that he must be planning to fly home as well. I suppose I could be mistaken. I guess I won't answer any more questions as I am obviously to stupid to do so.

Posted by
36 posts

I just did 10 days with a carry on. I used a backpack that was just a tad bigger than my standard carry on. You have to be VERY careful not to overpack and stuff the bag and make it too thick. It should not bulge.

A few things I found helpful...
1. Packing cubes. They also helped keep me organized.
2. Wear your bulkiest shoes on the plane to save room.
3.I also carried my purse(day pack) with me on the plane
4. You can always gate check it.
5. DO NOT OVERPACK. I (a girl) lived with 5 pants, 5 shirts, 3 pairs of shoes (2 sandals,1 sneakers)and a light jacket.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you to everyone for your assistance! I really appreciate it.

--Bill
Portland, OR