Please sign in to post.

Packing!

Hi, I will be traveling to Italy for about two months this summer, teaching English at summer camps around the country... We will be riding trains from camp to camp so it has been suggested that I pack in a backpack... What would be the best size to take for a trip that long?. . would a 40L bag work?.. Also I am pretty small .. right under 5ft snd under 100lbs so what type of bag would you suggest? Thans
~Cristen

Posted by
1840 posts

If you go to www.packinglight.net you will find a packing tutorial video that is as good as any comments here. My wife and I tend to pack light and the best bag I've seen lately is the Eagle Creek Adventure Weekend.

Posted by
1194 posts

onebag.com has great trips for packing light. I agree with Monty that packinglight.net has great videos for packing. My biggest problem is that I think that they take too many clothes. There is a big difference between moving somewhere for a few months (where you'll take more clothing) Vs only traveling for a few weeks at a time.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for the Advice..
would you reccomend using travel cubes to save space and be organized?

Posted by
1840 posts

Some people use them, some don't. Look at it this way, they help you stay organized, but adding more fabric, netting, and zippers to your bag takes up more space. We don't use them although we use various sizes of zipper bags to put stuff in. We also use medium size compression bags to put raincoats or purchased clothing in.

Posted by
10545 posts

I love my packing cubes and never pack a bag without them. They weigh next to nothing, keep you organized, and because they compress the clothing slightly you can get a little more in them. Another reason I love packing cubes is because when I get to my destination I can just transfer the cubes into drawers. I'm not quite unpacking, but I'm also not living out of my suitcase. I'm at Lake Tahoe this week, which is just a 1 1/2 hour drive from where I live. Guess what, I have my trusty packing cubes with my clothes neatly inside in the dresser!

Posted by
4181 posts

In one way you are very lucky due to your size. Your clothes are smaller and weigh less. In another you are challenged by your size. If you decide to go the backpack route, be sure to try on anything you might consider buying with weight in it. Walk around and go up and down stairs like you might getting on and off a train. Also try carrying it by the handle. The RS guidelines say 20% of your body weight and not over 20 pounds. Testing a pack with that much weight in it may send you to a rolling carryon. I'm 8 inches taller and almost double your weight, but 20 pounds on my back is no longer an option. At least you will be in Italy in the summer so depending on where you are, you may be able to pack lighter weight clothes. Although backpacks are frequently recommended, I rarely see them on Europeans. It's rolling bags for them. As to the length of the trip, plan to do laundry, probably once a week, so you don't take too much. The camps will probably have facilities for that.

Posted by
26 posts

Hi Cristen, If you decide to go with a backpack, look for one that is listed as a 'women's fit'. Eagle Creek has 2 on their website currently. I am 5'5 and bought one of their women's fit bags a few years ago and it worked great. Definitely with your height you need one proportional. You might even want a kids' sized pack, for ex: http://www.rei.com/product/808326/rei-passage-65-pack-youth or http://www.rei.com/product/808325/rei-passage-40-pack-kids#video-inner I am beyond backpacks now as well. When I was in Italy in 2011, most of the travelers I saw at train stations were using rolling bags. Definitely do a trial run of different bags at REI or another store if possible. Have a wonderful time on your adventure!

Posted by
797 posts

Try travelfashiongirl.com. She posted a video packing with her 15 item list using packing tubes, into her backpack. She has pack recommendations too. Pick a pack that fits carry on limits for European airlines. I highly recommend her site for her packing lists. Roll your clothes. Only bring 1 extra pair of shoes. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
32322 posts

Cristen, If you plan on using a Backpack, the most important point will be to have the pack properly fitted according to your torso size. Most of the weight should rest on your hips, and not your shoulders. In terms of size, something like an Osprey Porter 46 may be a good choice, but that will depend on how much you normally pack. You could also check the Eagle Creek packs. The length of the trip is not the most important factor - plan on doing laundry at regular intervals, perhaps in the hotel room sink if necessary. The usual rule is to "pack the same for two weeks as for two months". The Osprey 46 may be allowed as carry-on in some cases, but it would be a good idea to have another small bag available for carry-on in case you have to check the larger pack. Happy travels!