Please sign in to post.

Overnight Trains

My family of four will be taking our first overnight train journey this summer from Munich to Bruges. I'd like to hear of other travelers recent experiences riding in sleeper cars with family. If we have a 10pm departure time, what time will we be able to board the train to start getting settled?
Thanks, Bob in Cincy

Posted by
19237 posts

The only night train I've ever ridden in Europe was already en route, but I think it gave us more than a few minutes to board. This train starts in Munich so they could bring it to the platform well in advance. It leaves on track 23, and according to the schedule board for Munich, there are no other trains leaving on that track for the previous hour. I don't think they will bring the train to the track that early, but I'm sure you will have plenty of time. You can ask at the Reisezentrum in the Munich Hbf when it will be ready for boarding. They might know. BTW, I used the schedule for the CNL night train that leaves Munich Hbf at 10:47 PM. That's the only night train the German Rail schedule shows leaving Munich Hbf.

Posted by
4535 posts

They usually allow boarding between an hour and half hour before departure. Depends on various factors. Once you board, you can settle into your compartment. The conductor will collect your passports (most likely) and check your tickets. He'll also check on your breakfast time and options. You can come and go as you please and can lock your door. I assume you are not sharing with others. With that late a departure, the beds will already be pulled down and set up so you can try to sleep as soon as you wish. Toilets are down the hall and there may be a sink in your cabin for brushing teeth (they give you a filled water cup since the water is non-potable). Otherwise, you can use the bathroom down the hall.

Posted by
1525 posts

We've been on three (looking forward to our 4th this summer), all on 6-person couchettes because we are a family of 5. In each case, we got to the train only as early as we would get to any train - about 20-30 minutes. In each case, the couchette was not set up for beds, buut benches. We had to transform the compartment ourselves. I have never been given a cup of water to brush my teeth with. The water on the train is not purified for drinking, but isn't poisonous either. You can brush your teeth with it. Bring lots of liquids for drinking. Bring snacks, too. Also never had a conductor take our passports, but that might happen in some situations, I suppose. Foot traffic outside your door won't slow down until midnight, but that will be quiet compared to the sounds of the train anyway. Only once was the 6th berth taken - by a nice young Aussie woman :)

Posted by
4048 posts

We have taken several night trains. When the trains cross an international borderr during the night our passports have been collected upon boarding and given back to us the next morning. I'm glad that your train originates in Munich. We once boarded a train in Gevena that was enroute to Rome and we only had 3 minutes to board with our group of 48 students...

Posted by
4535 posts

Well clearly Randy and I have taken different trains! Just goes to show the caveat that every experience is different. One thing to remember is that you should bring your own water. Even if you do get the small cup of water included, it is not resealable and doesn't give you much. If you have sound-deadening earphones, bring them as the trains are usually pretty noisy.

Posted by
146 posts

Hey Bob, We will be taking our 5th overnight train in March from Zurich to Amsterdam. We always get there a little early, and if the trains not there or ready for boarding yet, we usually have a drink and a snack, talk and relax. We usually buy a big bottle of water at that time for drinking and brushing teeth. And Lee's right, the only night train leaving Munich for Bruges is at 22:47. So 22:00 would be perfect to arrive. And, sorry Randy, we've always had our passports taken, and returned in the morning, even if not crossing a border. And be prepared to share if it's a 6 passenger compartment. We shared a four passenger compartment and we were lucky that the other couple was very nice, and very polite. We split wine, cheese, fruit, and great conversation.
You guys are going to have so much fun!

Posted by
9109 posts

I've taken the Zurich to Amsterdam night train three times...you will not have to hand over your passport to the conductor. Since Switzerland joined the Schengen Zone a couple of years ago, it's rare to have to do that anymore.

Posted by
1227 posts

One side bit of advice check to see what the name for Bruges is in german. We had an experience, amusing in retrospect, taking the nite train from a city in Italy to Munich. Waiting for the train to show up on the departure board, the train that came up listed Monaco as the destination. Turns out that's the italian name for Munich...

Posted by
10515 posts

Douglas and Randy could have taken the same train, just different classes. Randy is describing second class couchettes, where you put your sleeping bag or a sheet directly on the pull down bench/bed, and if it's the lowest of the triple bunk you sleep on the seat where everyone sits during the day. These usually hold six. Douglas was in wagons-lits, with a comfy mattress, sheets, pillows, blanket, a sink in the compartment and limited to two or three beds. These require first class tickets except for the two wagon-lits compartments over the wheels can be had with a second class ticket. Choo-choo.

Posted by
976 posts

Our family of 4 took the Amsterdam to Prague CNL train RT several years ago, second class couchette ( T4, in which only 4 of the 6 bunks are made up). I can't imagine trying to share the space with 2 other strangers, as it seemed 'cozy' with just 4 bodies. On that train, there would have been no headroom (impossible to sit upright) with 6 bunks made up; the middle bunk on each side was always flat against the wall. Windows provided the AC in one direction, so was very noisy. Still, was an experience we won't forget, and were grateful the hotel let us into our rooms early for a nap after getting off the train. Keep the teens fed & have a good time!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone for the great replies - we look forward to our first overnight train adventure.

Posted by
35 posts

We took two over-night trains in October - one from Paris to Madrid (and back) and another from Paris to Florence (and back). Our passports were taken by the conductor on all four legs. The passports were returned in the morning.