Please sign in to post.

20 Year Anniversary trip for 1 month Europe November 2022

Updated after help so far.

Now I only need hotel and restaurant and Airbnb suggestions.

30 nights

20th wedding anniversary
Here it is after the help so far…
fly usa to Rome

Rome 5 nights stay where????
Speed trainRome to Venice
Venice 2 nights stay where????
Train venice to balluno
Belluno 2 nights stay where????
Train Belluno to Venice airport
Fly Venice to Palermo Sicily nonstop Ryan air
Rent car In Palermo
Sicily 7 night (visit friends canacati) stay???
Return car Palermo airport
Fly Palermo to Munich nonstop Lufthansa
Then, Train Munich to Salzberg
Salzberg 2 night stay where????
Train to regensberg
Regenensberg 4 night —- stay where????
Train to kassel
Kassel 7 nights ** airBb booked
Train to frankfurt
**Frankfurt 1 night
airport hotel booked
Fly usa

Posted by
6897 posts

Here are my comments!

• Rome: 5 nights is perfect, cannot comment on hotels
  • Belluno is 2 hours from Venice by train. Do you need the car? Perhaps not essential if the person you visit has one? In any case, I would only rent the car for travelling to and from Belluno. And I would sleep in Belluno, at least 1 night.
  • Venice to Sicily is not drivable, it takes 2 full days. Flying is the only option, main Sicilian airports are Palermo and Catania, I do not know if they have direct flights from Venice.
  • Sicily to Salzburg implies that you fly to Munich, so perhaps spend time in Munich first. But what do you want to see there? I would rather add a night to Venice than spend a night in Munich
  • Salzburg to Regensburg is easy by train, not necessarily through Munich
Posted by
87 posts

Thank you for the fast response this is so helpful you can’t even believe it! I will take your advice. I didn’t realize I can just take a bus to Belluno!

Posted by
8377 posts

I had to laugh at myself. I first read your title as you were celebrating your 1 month anniversary with a trip to Europe. "Wow", I thought, "Who celebrates a one month anniversary like that?" Then I realized that you were celebrating your anniversary by being gone for a month.

Happiest of anniversaries to You!!

PS Hotel Smeraldo is highly recommended in Rome. I haven't stayed there yet (going in Sept), but its location looks great.

Posted by
87 posts

20th wedding anniversary

Here it is after the help so far…
fly grr to Rome
Rome 5 nights
Fly Rome to venice nonstop itA airways
Train Venice to Belluno
Venice 2 nights

Belluno 2 nights
Train Belluno to Venice airport
Fly Venice to Palermo Sicily nonstop Ryan air
Rent car In Palermo
Sicily ( location???) 7 night
Return car Palermo airport
Fly Palermo to Munich nonstop Lufthansa
Train Munich to Salzberg
Salzberg 2 night
Train to regensberg
Regenensberg 4 night
Train to kassel
Kassel 7 night
Train to Frankfurt
Nov 27 airport hotel

Posted by
87 posts

CArol haha it’s our 20 year annibersary!
Balao thank you I changed bus to train

Posted by
87 posts

I did not know there was one! Thanks

I only see an eight hour overnight train?

Posted by
87 posts

I found a fast speed train that sounds perfect

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

Are you going to Kassel to visit family and friends? Or, for the "Dokumenta?" It's five years and should be on this year. If not, other than Schloss Wilhelmshoehe, which is historical, I didn't find Kassel really worth a visit, been there twice as day trips. In 1945 Kassel was plastered as US troops took the place.

Posted by
87 posts

We go to kassel to visit our exchange student and meet her family. We also spend time with her sister who may do an exchange. Documenta I think is September or we would go. I look at it as a wind down of the trip. Suggested day trips from Kassel??

Posted by
14507 posts

Dokumenta has changed its schedule? When I was in Kassel both times in 1987 and 2007, it was not Sept but Dokumenta was on.

Doing day trips from Kassel, I would suggest Hildesheim and Goslar . Goettingen is all right too if you want to see a famous university town. It prides itself as Goettingen-Universitätsstadt. Since I assume you're be driven around, I would also suggest the small town of Einbeck., well known for its beer in North Germany, Einbecker Pils.

I went to Kassel first as a day trip from Goettingen where I was staying. I should have visited Hildesheim instead on this day trip.

Posted by
87 posts

Thank you! Likely not driven mostly. We can rent a car or public transportation. Visiting our student and having dinner a few times- meeting her parents and sis and otherwise touring around.

Posted by
87 posts

Fred you are right.
I think sept is in my mind since it’s the last month!

Jun 18, 2022 – Sun, Sep 25, 2022

Posted by
87 posts

Fred I put a ost in German forum. It makes sense to stay 3 nights over a weekend in Kassel. Sounds like worth a few nights in the surrounding cities you mentioned - which would you pick for 4 nights?

Posted by
14507 posts

@ Jette.... For the rest of the time you indicated, I would suggest staying in Goslar or Hildesheim in terms of peace and quiet (Ruhe) and the atmosphere. They both have half timbered houses (the Fachwerkhäuser).

Hildesheim was also bombed towards the end of the war in 1945 though it was of no military value. The town's Zentrum was destroyed.

Goslar, Kassel, Goettingen, Einbeck and Hildesheim are not very far each other by train, even the S-Bahn, if you want to avoid the train, from each other.

Posted by
87 posts

We like to stay longer time so three day minimum at its place so which would you pick? We can then travel from the hotel to the other places to visit
- hildesheim or Goslar 3 night
- Kassel 4 night
Train kassel to Frankfurt airport hotel

• [ ]
Posted by
87 posts

Also, I have never found anything like the salt Springs in above Eger in Budapest hungry area. I would love to find a natural salt the spring somewhere on our German rousch. I do believe Regensburg bad abbach and that may be what I’m looking for?

Posted by
87 posts

Thank you so much!
We decided to stay 3 day minimum everywhere except Salzberg. We decided to stick to Palermo airport amd Palermo. Agrigento near our friend so must stay there.

Refining as I lea more you are all so helpful…

So far..

fly to Rome
Rome 4 nights
Train from Rome to venice
Venice 4 nights
Fly Venice to Palermo, rent car
- Palermo 4 night
- Agrigento 3 night visit friends
Return car Palermo
Fly Palermo to Munich
Train Munich to Salzberg
Salzberg 2 night
Train Salzberg to regensberg
Regenensberg 4 night
Train regensberg to kassel
Rent car
- hildesheim or Goslar 3 night
- Kassel 4 night
Train kassel to Frankfurt airport hotel

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

Not to belabor the point, but it's best to get these places right as to avoid confusion: Salzburg and Regensburg.

Keep in mind: die Burg (fem) and (mas) der Berg. ...best way keep them straight .

Posted by
8142 posts

It's a shame that you're not taking time to enjoy Munich. It's one of the great cities of Europe with so many sites to see.

Posted by
1527 posts

I am reading 32 nights and 7 transfers.
Curious if your travel style has previously been on a journey of this length and number of transfers?
Each transfer consumes a minimum of half day in time (hotel door to hotel door) adding expense, luggage lugging and stress of everything going "right".

Of all our travels through out Europe Salzburg was the most disappointing so we bailed after one night. Munich was highly rewarding.

Just a thought.