Please sign in to post.
Posted by
884 posts

As a dedicated fan of Norwegian Air Shuttle....this is great news! Thanks for making my evening, Susan.

Posted by
11367 posts

Since I have a flight booked for Christmas already, a huge relief! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by
7590 posts

Still packing an international carry-on, keeping it under 22 lbs., and not worried about limiting their income to the point of financial ruin by not paying their excess weight fee. Here’s to the next flight!

Posted by
9436 posts

NA’s prices are ridiculously low, so paying $45 to check a 44 lb bag if a person wants to bring more than a 22 lb carry-on is fair imo. Still way cheaper than legacy airlines.

Posted by
3895 posts

I think a more precise title for this thread is "Norwegian Air Declares Itself Financially Sound through 2020." The Norwegian press release from which the linked article is drawn:
https://media.uk.norwegian.com/pressreleases/norwegian-has-raised-new-capital-2940353

The cash infusion is definitely very good for Norwegian, as liquidity was looking a little dicey for the winter months. I will add that Norwegian could not have pulled off the private placement and the convertible bond issue this time last year, so the airline's ability to execute these indicates that investors believe Norwegian is in better place this November than last November. That bodes well for the immediate future.

The ultimate success of Norwegian depends on a lot of factors. I like the current management team and am pulling for them, but there are still odd things going on related to Norwegian, such as selling flights in San Francisco at "we are desperate to fill planes" fares and a recent report that Norwegian is considering leasing poor-selling, somewhat-unreliable Russian small jets in return for the ability to fly through Siberian airspace. The airspace issue would allow significant savings on Europe-Asia flights, but that comes at a significant cost.

Norwegian's story is an interesting saga to follow.

Posted by
1003 posts

So the CEO says they'll be OK.... would you seriously expect him to say otherwise????

The reality is that all airlines are basket cases... the business model includes using very expensive infrastructure to compete in a race to the bottom.... nobody should be surprised when the blow up.

Posted by
1099 posts

I'll give odds NAS is bankrupt by June.

They got $335 Million less than a year ago, and needed $270 Million to stay in operations, which included "restructuring" a previous bond issue (read "we can't pay it"). They are over $380 Million in debt on bills due in the next 12 months and are dropping routes. They also canceled a huge order for Airbus aircraft that they got incentives to place. Do the math...

Posted by
3392 posts

I have a ticket with them to Paris on June 15th...fingers crossed that this is true! They are my favorite airline for flying to Europe.