Please sign in to post.

Norway Fjords

Several years ago, there were posts about a tour of Norway and the fjords that included train, ferry and maybe bus. I think it was called Norway in a Nutshell and lasted multiple days. Not having any luck googling that now. Does anyone know the name of the company or the website or the website?? (It was not a Rick Steves tour.)

Posted by
7328 posts

As noted above you can organize and do the Nutshell on your own, but there are a number of tour organizers that arrange it for you to do on your own, or even to lead you and serve as your guide - all for a price, of course. It can actually be don in a loooong day, but as with a lot of things described in Rick's books, it's better if savored over more than a hurried day. You can start in Bergen and end in Oslo, or vice versa, or start and end in the same place. You can also do a "Nutshell Plus," and extend your fjord visit beyond the normal Nutshell itinerary.

Posted by
989 posts

Thanks for the info. That website was what I was looking for.

Posted by
40 posts

We went on the Hurtigruten and Norway In A Nutshell two years ago. It is one of the options on the website provided in the reply above. We started and ended in Oslo. Our package included the train from Oslo to Trondheim (stayed one night in Trondheim), overnight travel from Trondheim to Bergen on a Hurtigruten ship, two nights in Bergen, train, bus and fjord cruise from Bergen to Aurland (stayed there one night) and finally a fjord cruise and train from Aurland to Oslo. All of our transportation was booked through the website; however, we booked our own hotels. Looking at the website now it doesn't look like they have an option to stay at Aurland. Our route allowed us to see both the Norwegian coast and fjords. We really enjoyed the trip.

Posted by
8124 posts

We took the Nutshell trip in September. We were very fortunate to have great weather, as September experiences rain 20 days out of the month.
We enjoyed our one hour trip down into the fjord most of the whole trip. I was expecting the fjords to be incredibly beautiful, but was somewhat disappointed. I would have preferred to go back up the mountain and catch a train into Bergen rather than take the fast ferry another 4-5 hours.
We just loved Bergen, however. Most beautiful people you'll find anywhere.