Please sign in to post.

night train.

im looking into taking the night train from vienna to venice. from what ive read, i know that there is a train between the two cities but thus far have not found where to actually buy the tickets. im wanting to know more details about the night train because ive heard that night train schedules have been cut down due to dropping plane tickets prices. i looked into flights between vienna and venice thinking that they would be short and cheap, but for some reason the cheap flights take an unusually long time with many stops in between. on the other hand the short flights are outrageously expensive. i like the idea of the night train but would like more information.

Posted by
20086 posts

The train is operated by the Austrian National Railway (OEBB). It leaves Vienna Hbf at 9:36 pm and arrives Venice Santa Lucia at 8:24 am the next day. Info at www.oebb.at.

Posted by
353 posts

HI armschicchi,

You can buy tickets for this train through the Austrian National Rail website - www.oebb.at.
This train (EN 237) runs nightly, departing Vienna at 21:36 and arriving in Venice the next morning at 08:24. The price depends on what type of accommodation you choose - from a reserved reclining seat to a private compartment. Using the above website and picking a random day about a month from now, it shows a private double compartment (with 2 beds) for 258 euro (about $295). An American company, Rail Europe - www.raileurope.com also sells tickets for a slightly higher price ($314 for the same train). Night trains can sell out, so it's wise to book ahead, as soon as you are ready to commit.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

There have some night train routes that have been taken out of service. A lot of night routes are still in operation when you research them as regards to cities in central Europe and east-central Europe.

Another option is to break up the Vienna-Venice route, if you prefer that, which is what I would do. Take the Railjet train Vienna to Munich Hbf., allow time for an unhurried dinner at the station or nearby, then take the CNL night train Munich to Venice direct. Those night routes using Munich Hbf as dep/terminus are still operating, except for Munich to Paris.

Posted by
1078 posts

Took this night train in November from Austria to Rome and it was fine. Couldn't believe the service(welcome pkg when getting on, able to choose a variety of items for bfst) I received.
However, since I was a guy traveling alone, I did share my compartment with another guy who was traveling to Florence from Vienna even though I thought I was going to have a private compartment- it was "semi-private."
There were no problems, and after sharing wine and cheese, we both slept and I never heard him leave or was aware of the stop in Florence.
Talking to the attendant, he told me couples do have private compartments, however, sometimes they do double-up guys or gals. It was well worth the time and the cost to Rome.

Posted by
216 posts

I like night trains. Have done Venice - Vienna and reverse 3 times over the last 20 years. Each time in 4 or 6 berth compartments.

I once reserved the bottom bunk for me and my 6 month old from Rome to Nice. An old lady had ensconced herself in it claiming to have a bad hip and unable to take the top bunk which she had reserved. I figured the middle bunk would be okay until the person with the reservation showed up. I then found the conductor and paid 50€ for a private compartment as I was not hauling up to the top bunk with an infant. It was lovely! Take ear plugs, food and wine!

Find the trains on the German trains website. Book on the Austrian railways website.