Please sign in to post.

New Years Eve in Europe

We are planning another Christmas/New Years trip and have decided upon Vienna for Christmas but are still searching for a New Years city. We have previously done Florence, Madrid, Brussels, and Edinburgh and are looking for a new city in which to celebrate. Thanks all, for any suggestions.

Posted by
1582 posts

Jim - You can either do London, Berlin, Amsterdam or Paris. All four are New Year's eve hot spots. You will have a blast. On two separate occasions, I spent time in Paris and Amsterdam celebrating New Year's eve, both were magnificent.

Posted by
4697 posts

Jim, curious about Edinburg- I've always wanted to experience that city on NYE. Would you recommend it?
Thx and safe travels!

Posted by
7357 posts

Are you looking for a populous location with a ton of fellow revelers? I wonder what your Florence experience was like?

Seven years ago, we’d spent Christmas in Sicily, but New Year’s in Piano di Sorrento, on the outskirts of Sorrento, Italy. After dinner in a quiet place, we headed back to our B&B room just before midnight. At the stroke of 12:00, little private fireworks shows were set off on nearly every corner, in the streets. Small groups of people had been gathering as we headed for our room, but it was a surprise to see that about everyone in town seemed to have their own supply of pyrotechnics. Really unexpected, and with personal fireworks now banned in Colorado, it was quite different. Not sure if downtown Sorrento had a bigger crowd, but there didn’t seem to be any single big-time extravaganza. All the little fireworks added up to a big show, and by 12:40 all was quiet again.

The next day, although by all accounts, Pompeii was going to be closed, we found out it would be open until 1 PM, so we kicked off 2013 by visiting that amazing sight.

Posted by
1582 posts

Jim - You ever consider spending New Year's Eve in Ibiza Spain? That's the ultimate party place in Europe. New Year's there is a sight to see.

Posted by
7837 posts

We rang it in small town Collioure this year (and it was pretty lively outdoor dancing with live music celebration on parts of the beach there on the Med), Seville last year and Amsterdam the year before that.
I would recommend Collioure as they have a great fireworks show at the countdown to midnight.
You need to make reservations for a sit down dinner otherwise they have food vendors outside the beach area where the festivities take place,