Please sign in to post.

New traveler

Looking for input from experienced travelers regarding a newbie traveling in Europe. I cannot do extensive hikes/walks. What country would be a good starting point?

Posted by
4574 posts

What are your interests? Are you comfortable visiting a country where English is not the primary language(but tourism workers and signage include English)? Would you consider a tour to reduce the walking (Not Rick Steve's tours as they are energetic).
More details would provide more relevant answers.
(But my first reply is any country you dreamed of visiting can be made feasible).

Posted by
2746 posts

Welcome to the forum!
Have you looked at the Rick Steves tours? Most of the planning will be done for you. Activity levels are posted and will vary. https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/index

Without knowing your interests it’s impossible to recommend. My interests probably aren’t the same as yours. How long will you travel? And when? Are you traveling solo or with others? How long/far are “extensive hikes/walks”?

If you want to do an independent trip, maybe start with England since the language is more or less the same. Italy is a fan favorite. Don’t over schedule your itinerary.

Only you know what you want to see, what is most important to you. You can browse countries in the Explore Europe section if you need ideas. https://www.ricksteves.com/europe If planning multiple countries on your own, use a map or Rome2Rio app or website to understand distance and travel times.

Posted by
6527 posts

I'd also suggest Britain as a starting point, with the same language, very good public transportation, plenty of urban sights that don't require much walking. London's Underground (subway) and buses can get you anywhere, and the rail network can get you to other cities quickly and easily.

If you have studied any foreign languages and feel a little more adventurous, that opens up more possibilities. And if you're open to driving, that's easier in continental Europe than in Britain because the British drive on the left side of the road.

Spend some time with a good Europe guidebook and/or in the "Explore Europe" section if this website. You might also want to read Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door.

Posted by
15079 posts

What country would be a good starting point?

This is like saying "I'm hungry, where should I eat?"

We don't know what you like so how can we suggest.

Posted by
673 posts

dmerritt,
Welcome to the forum. Please let us know a little about your hopes and expectations for your trip so we can offer you helpful suggestions. I know the idea of traveling to Europe can be overwhelming and one doesn't know where to start, but think about that picture in your mind when you imagine Europe. Is it a building or structure (like the Eiffel Tower or the Colliseum)? Or is it a street, perhaps in an old medieval neighborhood? Or is it natural wonders, like the Alps or a beach? Is it art...paintings, sculpture....or magnificent cathedrals? What pictures come to mind? Tell us, then we can offer advice.
Like you, I can't do real hikes. I also can't ride a bike. That limits me a little, but not too much.
Your added information would be very useful. Thanks!

Posted by
673 posts

dmerritt,
I forgot to add that, as others have said, England is a great intro to Europe because of the language. And London has SO much to see and do that you could be on the go for two weeks straight and still not see it all. And day trips from London to neat places are plentiful.
Just a thought.

Posted by
7380 posts

You said, dmerritt, that you cannot do extensive hikes/walks. are you looking for a destination with good, easy, short hikes or walks? Or places with excellent public transportation, easy and/or cheap taxis, or sights that are so close together that walking’s not necessary?

Do you already have flights to/from European destinations in mind, or is every potential place currently in the running?

Posted by
2275 posts

I cannot do extensive hikes/walks.

Based on this criteria only Denmark (highest hill ~ 171 m) and the Netherlands (highest hill ~ 322 m) seem the most suitable.

Any other criteria?

Posted by
149 posts

As mentioned by a few, the UK is a great starting point because it removes the language barrier (but not the accent barrier).

Personally, I'd also just pick a city and stay there for a good chunk of time. London, Paris, or Rome all jump out as "enough to fill two weeks" with outdoor attractions, museums, food, and general vibrant city vibes. A couple dozen other cities fill that card too, but not quite as fully.

But if you want an "easy" start, London is about as easy as it gets and you can easily plan out a week of diverse adventures.

If you happen to be fluent in a European language, that makes those related major cities an easy intro.

Posted by
4051 posts

Without sounding like a grouch (I hope), Steves' website is already overflowing with advice and ideas You can help yourself here for England, among many others :
https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/england

It contains descriptions of locations, highlights, practical advice about moving around and other useful stuff to get you going. With a little more familiarity, you will be able specific questions which will prompt more informed answers. And that's just for one country of the many that are waiting for you.

Bottom line: The well-informed traveller travels better and enjoys it more.

Posted by
195 posts

Maybe a road trip is for you. Try Sweden. Lots of interesting places. Good infracture. Majority speak English to some extent. Anyone under 40 is probably bilingual in Swedish and English. The dollar is strong against the Swedish crown.

Posted by
135 posts

Second the vote for Sweden. English is not a prerequisite for visiting Europe. You should accumulate some RS travel guides and see what strikes your fancy.

Posted by
673 posts

Merritt,
We haven't heard from you. Have you made any decisions about your trip?

Posted by
1788 posts

I think when the OP says they can't do extensive walks, what they're saying is that they have mild mobility issues. Probably anyway.

So maybe the question is which places in Europe are easiest for people with some mobility issues?

It's an interesting question - I move around fine but would still like to hear answers.

Posted by
17972 posts

The ideal starting point is the location that most interests you. Lacking that, you could do one or more exploration trips with shorter stays in a number of cultures and once seeing which ring your bell you start making longer visits.

I think London. Paris and Rome make a good start. Then the second trip might be Barcelona, Budapest and Athens.

Just 4 or 5 nights in each. Then the third trip you return to one or two that you enjoyed most and spend a lot of time there and within in that country.

Posted by
1322 posts

Hey everyone who responded, the OP has not come back to acknowledge any of your suggestions. So, I’m thinking she/he has received help from somewhere else.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to answer, Linda I’m just fine

Posted by
673 posts

dmerritt,
Have you made a decision about where to go? I am just curious.

Posted by
3 posts

Not yet, I’m a little wishy washy, going to do a trip in Utah first, see if I can handle long walks

Posted by
673 posts

dmerritt,
Utah is full of beautiful places, esp. the national parks. I have been to almost all of them in Utah, both when younger and more agile, and more recently when I had to forgo many of the trails and hikes. If you go to recreation.gov you can find out about accessibility trails, etc. Have a great time there! Hope you decide to go to Europe as well.

Posted by
17972 posts

I would suggest that you explain your limitations to either a trip planner or a guide and let them design a trip around your limitations. Doing it that way, there are very, very few destinations that will be off limits. If you were to decide on some Eastern European countries or the Balkan States I have some names if you are interested.

Posted by
15590 posts

I've been to Zion NP maybe a dozen times (my favorite place on earth), about half that many to Bryce Canyon NP and a couple visits to Arches NP, at least once to the other NP's and many state parks. I've been to most of Europe many times. Most walking in Utah is more strenuous than most walking in Europe. If up and down walking is difficult, avoid Portugal and Italian hill towns. While Rome is hilly, there are plenty of buses, trams and taxis. Taking the metro in most cities means - at most - going up or down 1 flight of stairs. There are plenty of places to sit and rest after a 2-3 block walk, benches, low walls, cafes, steps.