Please sign in to post.
Posted by
1658 posts

Another bureaucratic, idiotic maneuver. How many people will show up and not have paid this fee or filled out a form in advance or know anything about it? Will lines at immigration quadruple in length? There has got to be a better way to scarf 7 euros out of people visiting Europe.

Posted by
9550 posts

it's just a Euro version of America's ESTA which has been around for years. Annoying but no big deal.

Yep, same as my Italian husband has been paying to enter the U.S. on ESTA since 2009.

Fourteen bucks for an authorization that lasts for two years, in the case of Europeans visiting the States.

Posted by
11155 posts

ETIAS is expected to be operational by the end of 2022. The ETIAS Regulation provides for transitional measures to ensure a smooth roll out of the system.

From the link in Badger's post.

Still a degree of uncertainty as to "when" it happens

Posted by
15799 posts

Last I knew, ETIAS will be good for 3 years so the US really should reciprocate with the same for ESTA, IMHO. Not that it'll happen. But yeah, how long has this been tossed around?!!! Near as I can tell, mention has been popping up on the forums for a few years now; Frank, you may have been first to raise the flag back in 2018.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/general-europe/etias-visa-1c9fb160-a64f-4ae8-8a38-2f2a85f6f700

Posted by
6344 posts

How many people will show up and not have paid this fee or filled out
a form in advance or know anything about it?

At airports, probably none or next to none. Airlines will not allow anyone to board that doesn't have the paperwork in order.

But yeah, how long has this been tossed around?!!! Near as I can tell,
mention has been popping up on the forums for a few years now; Frank,
you may have been first to raise the flag back in 2018.

It has been discussed at least since 2016 when the Commission first proposed the system. The proposal was then debated and discussed and finally in the summer 2018 a slightly revised version was approved by the Parliament and a few months later by the Council.

Posted by
3099 posts

I can't find anything to say what the money will be used for?

Posted by
32709 posts

what is the money collected from Europeans going to the USA used for?

Posted by
11155 posts

I can't find anything to say what the money will be used for?

what is the money collected from Europeans going to the USA used for?

Presumably to cover/offset the cost of operating the system

Posted by
985 posts

My trip to Spain is in March, 2022, less than 4 months from now. Do I have to apply for this European Union Travel Information and Authorization System today or as soon as possible or before my trip?

Obviously I want to avoid a horrifying disaster where i would arrive at the airport in Madrid and the authorities make me fly right back home or worse. And if such a disaster happens, then what?

How was everybody who is not on Rick Steves travel forum supposed to know about this?

Posted by
15799 posts

Mike, you'll be fine. There isn't even an application process for ETIAS yet, and you won't need one for your trip in March. It'll be interesting to see, at this point, if it's fully operational by beginning of 2023.

Posted by
7329 posts

Pork Barrel in the EU? Will that involve prosciutto, then? Jamón Ibérico? Rashers of bacon? Schnitzel? Can tourists get in on any of that?

Posted by
6344 posts

Mike, if you click on the link in my first post you can read "ETIAS is expected to be operational by the end of 2022." so for a trip in March you will be fine. I assume that once an official launch date is set there will be more information and airlines will probably inform any person trying to book a flight to Europe about the need.

Posted by
9550 posts

Here's what the U.S. government says about what it does with the $14 from eligible persons who pay the ESTA application fee:

SUMMARY: Nonimmigrant aliens who wish to enter the United States under
the Visa Waiver Program at air or sea ports of entry must obtain a
travel authorization electronically through the Electronic System for
Travel Authorization (ESTA) from U.S. Customs and Border Protection
prior to departing for the United States. This rule requires ESTA
applicants to pay a congressionally mandated fee of $14.00, which is
the sum of two amounts: a $10 travel promotion fee for an approved ESTA
statutorily set by the Travel Promotion Act and a $4.00 operational fee
for the use of ESTA as set by the Secretary of Homeland Security to
ensure recovery of the full costs of providing and administering the
ESTA system.

That's from the Federal Register from 2010. Here's the link: