Please sign in to post.

Netherlands/Belgium Itinerary Help

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Netherlands and Belgium, flying in and out of Amsterdam March 15-24. I had a couple of questions regarding city bases and allocation of days.

We were thinking of something like this:
March 15 - fly out
March 16 - Bruges
March 17 - Bruges
March 18 - Ghent
March 19 - Ghent
March 20 - Amsterdam ??
March 21 - Amsterdam
March 22 - Amsterdam
March 23 - Amsterdam (day trip to Haarlem)
March 24 - fly home

So a couple of questions:
•Does this allocation of days/nights look right?
•Should we stay somewhere else March 20? (We're backpacking so we don't mind moving locations quite as much)
•Here are the other places we were interested in seeing (if we had more time): Antwerp, Delft, Utrecht, and Leiden. Would you suggest cutting or limiting anything to visit any of these places?

We like good food, pretty sites, and only slightly interested in museums. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Posted by
2410 posts

I would take a day from Gent and go to Delft. If you click on my bio you can read my recent trip report to the Netherlands and Belgium for ideas.

Posted by
11214 posts

After Ghent stay overnight in Rotterdam to go to Kinderdijk.

Posted by
5687 posts

I would spend three nights in either Ghent or Bruges and day trip to the other. Both are lovely. Bruges is more touristy for sure - in March, not sure what t will be like.

I agree about Delft: it's lovely and worth a night's stop. It's not very big, but it's worth the night too not just a day trip. The trains in this region are work very well.

Posted by
7362 posts

If you can identify a hotel or hostel that will be particularly comfortable (and accessible to the train station), you only need one room in each country. Unreserved local trains cover all your cities multiple times an hour. Your trip is so rushed that you need to avoid unnecessary room changes. It is possible to see Gent in one day, and theoretically possible to see Bruges in one day. (Check for weekly closings, Mystic Lamb is 7 days but advance tickets needed. Anne Frank House books up early.) Others will tell you that Bruges is so magical that you must be there after the daytrippers leave. Trains run in the evening too!

Leiden and Utrecht cannot be seen completely in one day, but that's OK. I consider Antwerp to be second only to Amsterdam. Keukenhof opens March 23 this year.

Posted by
42 posts

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I could definitely pull a day from Ghent, and I guess I also need to look more into Delft. Thanks for the heads up about Keukenhof opening on March 23. I didn’t realize that. I don’t know what the flowers will be like on the first day of the season, but we’ll probably give it a shot!

Posted by
680 posts

I really liked Delft, stayed at the Best Western Museum Hotel; clean, great breakfast, nice reception area and just next to the cathedral & an easy walk from train station. I rented a bike near the train station; some nice windmills in town, one that you can climb up inside. I also enjoyed the Delft pottery museum.

PS, Keukenhof - It seemed a bit early for tulips but looks like crocuses, daffodils, hyacinths and early tulips may be flowering at the start of the season. https://keukenhof.nl/en/

Posted by
7362 posts

Keukenhof is not a natural woodland setting with wild plants that grow untroubled by human intervention. It is a commercial garden product, with plants (including flowering bulbs) that are planted in stages, and when necessary, replaced with hothouse or other plants ready to bloom in a day or two.

I have not been to Keukenhof on opening day. But it is not reasonable to believe that it will look poor and underdeveloped on opening day.

That said, Keukenhof is a big place. It includes long-term perennial and Rhododendron/Azalea areas, over which humans have less control. But man has plenty of control over beds of ... bulbs.

And since the OP currently has only one day of overlap between their trip and the opening of Keukenhof, it's not ridiculous to consider including it. If you do go, OP, please come back and report on what you saw. Thanks.

Posted by
1348 posts

It’s way too early to tell how the Keukenhof will look on opening day this year. The deciding factor for that, will be the temperature in late February / early March.
In 2022 temperatures in February and March were so high that the Keukenhof was in full bloom when it opened for the season. In fact, some early blooming spring flowers that were the first to bloom were already bloomed out by the time the park opened in the 3rd week of March.
But a couple of years before that, we had the exact opposite. Due to extremely cold temperatures in March the blooming of even the early blooming flowers was delayed and the Keukenhof still looked green when it opened, with only the flowers in the green houses in bloom. Guests during the first week were very unhappy and demanded a refund or a discount.
Right now, temperatures are relatively high for early January, but there’s no telling how things will be in February and/or March.

Posted by
1798 posts

DEFINITELY combine Bruges and Ghent. It's a 22 to 28 minute direct train trip that runs 4-6 times an hour in the daytime. You waste time changing hotels, and it feels so much better to be in the same room for 4 night than two different rooms for 2 nights.

I'd stay in Ghent. It has 80 percent the pretty historic buildings as Bruges, but is more of a real city and less of a touristy Disney type of place. Ghent has a university, a thriving restaurant scene, a fantastic castle with creepy dungeons, different city districts. Bruges is at the end of the line for the train (almost) while Ghent is more central if you want to go elsewhere.

If weather cooperates, the bike ride from Bruges to Ghent, or in reverse, is a lot of fun. Use the train one way - easy to do. Or ride there and back. You follow a paved canal-side bike road almost the entire way. Rental of regular or e-bike is simple.

I like Delft, have stayed there twice in the past five summers. We have friends who live close by, so have toured around with locals. The Best Western recommended above is a fine hotel. But I would argue that you can "do" Delft easily in an afternoon/evening no problem by getting off the train and storing your bags. It's a short train trip from Ghent, and even shorter from Amsterdam.

I also strongly feel that Den Bosch is the Netherlands best small city between Flanders to Amsterdam. Den Bosch is relatively unknown to international tourists, who are much more likely to know of and go to Delft. Den Bosch is full of Dutch, Belgian and other European holiday makers. It's a very interesting, good looking, and lively city with what the Dutch call a "Burgundian" lifestyle. It has a surprising cafe culture for being in a cool and rainy part of Europe. If I was staying a night or two I'd likely go to Den Bosch. Passing through for a long afternoon then charming little Delft.

From Ghent and Amsterdam you can easily day trip to all the destinations you list above. These are little countries with fast and efficient rail systems. It would not be inconvenient to stay 4 of your 9 night is Ghent (day trip to Bruges and Antwerp) and 5 remaining night in Amsterdam (and day trip to Utrecht and Leiden). In fact this itinerary would likely be the most enjoyable and relaxing. Or stay in Utrecht instead of Amsterdam if you prefer a less intense less big city experience. In a flash you are in Amsterdam from Utrecht. There's a lot to see and do in Amsterdam though, so if you have a long Amsterdam must list then staying there is the best call.

Have fun! The Low Countries are just wonderful :)

Posted by
680 posts

@Hank, Thanks for your info about NL & Ghent; and Den Bosch sounds fantastic!

Posted by
42 posts

Thanks again for the great replies! I think we’ve settled on trying to visit Keukenhof on opening day, as well as combining Bruges and Ghent. I appreciate the advice!

Posted by
23 posts

I think you can't go wrong but I'd maybe combine Bruges/Ghent and add Antwerp.

FWIW I love Haarlem and stayed there on my last visit to Amsterdam. It's such a short trip by train to see Amsterdam sights but so much more pleasant in the evenings--an easy trade-off. A very beautiful town. There's a really good rijsttafel restaurant there too.

Posted by
42 posts

I just realized I forgot to post after our trip. We had an awesome time! We ended up doing 3 nights in Bruges and day tripping to Ghent for one of those days. I’m glad we stayed in Bruges. It was as beautiful as I’d heard and I enjoyed seeing it every morning and evening when it was quieter. The day and night we stayed in Delft was definitely worth it. So glad for that recommendation! And Amsterdam was a lot of fun too. It’s hard to say for sure, but if I could go back and do it again I might’ve stayed in Haarlem over Amsterdam. And Keukenhof was pretty busy opening day. I’m sure it’s a lot prettier later in the season, but I thought it was still worth the effort for us to see it even on the opening day.

Thanks again for the tips and advice! You’re welcome to check out the recap video I made of the trip: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=thl2bQx5p_0