Please sign in to post.

Need itinerary help!

We are planning a trip to Europe in Late August-mid September. Primary reason is that we will be accompanying our daughter who will be studying abroad in Edinburgh for the fall semester. Since I have never been to Europe (except Ireland which is not really Europe) and years since my husband was there, we are in a quandry as to where we should travel before reaching Edinburgh. Let me say that we were advised to not go from Republic of Ireland to Edinburgh, something about student visa problems.

So, we are thinking about Paris, London and then on to Edinburgh. We have 3 weeks total. Might be able to add a few more days, but work is tough. Problem is that I want to see some of the country of France and not just Paris. Right now we have 5 nights in Paris and 5 nights in London, and then to Edinburgh. Does anybody have any suggestions as how to arrange this trip so that we can see perhaps another area of France other than Paris? We were hoping to not need a rental car, but is this possible?

We would be flying to Europe from Washington DC and then back to SF on the trip home.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Posted by
33457 posts

Strasbourg and Colmar and on to the small beautiful villages around Colmar on the Route de Vin are a short fast train ride away and an absolute world away from Paris.

Google eguisheim, and have a look at the official office of tourism page at http://www.ot-eguisheim.fr/en/

Eguisheim is just one of several special places.

Posted by
15768 posts

That's a great idea, Nigel. I was there for the Xmas markets and am hoping to get back for a longer visit. The Strasbourg cathedral is well worth the trip and I thought Colmar was delightful. It is wine country and late August might just be harvest time. . . Napa/Sonoma in French :-) You can take a high-speed train (TGV) between Paris and Strasbourg, then a local train to Colmar. Either would be a good place to stay, then day-trip to the other. Colmar accommodations are likely to be cheaper. The Strasbourg train station has luggage storage.

There are also day trips out of Paris by train. Chartres cathedral is surrounded by the charming town. Reims (still on my to-go list) has a cathedral and several champagne houses that you can visit for tours and tastings.

Posted by
1 posts

Traveling to Europe last summer for my first time, I found the Rick Steve's books and any others as a second opinion on hotels, etc., to be quite helpful. The internet is really useful also. As far a itinerary, look at the different areas of France and your 'have to's. Take your roughed out list and assign at least 2 days to each location and reduce (doubt anyone ever has to add pad days). Used the France Pass; for 2 or travellers, you go first class and at a little discount.

My trip started in Amsterdam, followed by 12 days in France, with 5 in Paris. All travel was high speed train, regional train or local train. From Amsterdam we took Thalys the high speed train to Paris, about 3 hours. In Arles we hired a driver for an afternoon to areas without public transportation--St. Remy and Rousillon. You become a seasoned train rider pretty quickly.

We wanted too see the Burgundy wine area. We went from Paris to Beaune staying in an old abbey; day trip to wine tasting and lunch, winery tour etc.; market day; all priceless. Much of Beaune is really old. Then on to Arles/Avignon for three days. Lovely. Lots to see from St. Remy Van Gogh displays and the hillside villages such as Rousillon. In Arles is the Van Gogh walk showing the locales painted with print of the artwork side by side. I was not prepared for the Roman buildings, the arena in Arles; another arena and more in Nimes. Did not plan well enough to get to Pont de Gard. In Avignon, the Palace of the Popes. I'm glad we stayed in Arles--the train station is walkable, had a free shuttle, inexpensive taxi; from our hotel, easy strolls to restaurants for dinner; the restaurants were open pretty late. Nice was nice, along the Mediterannean and close by train to Monaco--very pretty. Did the walk around the palace Rick Steves mentions. Planned to visit Antibes, but instead walked around Nice. Antibes is definitely on the next trip.

In France, found cafes outside of Paris smaller, really good and not the same-old, same-old menus. Ask your hotel people, they really helped us. Ask "What is your favorite restaurant...". In Paris, the restaurants were usually larger, louder, and lots of smoking; outside smoke would billow indoors through the open doors.

Hope this helps.