Please sign in to post.

Need Feedback - May / June 2024 Honeymoon Ideas

Hi all! Looking for some advice and helpful hints. My fiancé and I have never been to Europe before and are trying to decide on a European honeymoon for either late May or early June 2024. We’d be able to take a full two weeks off. We know for sure we want to end the trip along the Amalfi Coast but have gone back and forth with all kinds of ideas for the start of the trip. Here’s where we’re at as of now:

1: Switzerland and Italy

Fly to Switzerland and stay in Interlaken for 3-4 days. Then, take the train to Italy where we can make visits along the way in either Venice and Rome OR Florence and Rome (likely over the span of about 5 days) before ending the trip along the Amalfi Coast.

1. London/UK, Paris and Italy

Fly to London and use it as a home base for a week. Take day trips via train to places such as the UK countryside, Stonehenge and Paris. Then, fly to Naples and make our way to the Amalfi Coast where we’ll stay for the remainder of the trip.

Has anyone done anything similar? Do either of these sound doable? One better than the other?

We want a nice blend of relaxation and sightseeing/activity and definitely want to check out some of the most beautiful sights/beloved areas of Europe. We don’t mind if the first half of the trip is more go-go-go, as long as the last part (Amalfi) is relaxing. We’d like to stick a budget of $10K for accommodations, flights and transportation. Likely $12K if including food and some excursions. We’re flexible but trying not to go much more above that.

Note: We aren’t interested in staying overnight in Paris, as we really only want to see the Eiffel Tower, hence the day trip option from London.

Thank you in advance!!

Posted by
27156 posts

I find mid-trip flights disruptive and the opposite of relaxing, so I'd much prefer something along the lines of your first option. You need to understand, though, that seeing "some of the most beautiful sights/beloved areas of Europe" in May/June means you will be spending considerable time in overcrowded conditions, at least in Italy. This is all the more true if you want to make quick stops in highly popular cities like Venice, Florence and Rome, because that likely means you will be focusing most of your time on the same calendar-photo sights everyone else wants to see. Those places are not going to be less crowded in the future, so I'm not telling you to skip them, just to be mentally prepared for the mob scenes.

I am not an expert on the Bernese Oberland, but not many folks here seem to recommend staying in Interlaken. Most prefer to stay farther up in the mountains, at least in Lauterbrunnen if not in a place like Muerren or Wengen. In addition, if your plans for that area include hiking, you should do some research on hiking conditions; I think May is probably too early. I'm not even sure about early June; it's possible some of the lifts may not yet be open.

Posted by
464 posts

I would save Paris for a future trip. A day trip from London would be expensive taking the Eurostar to and from Paris and time consuming. Once you reach Gare du Nord in Paris it still takes time on the metro to the Eiffel Tower itself and then back to catch the Eurostar. In London you have to arrive 90 minutes early before the Eurostar departs to go through immigration and several checkpoints because of Brexit. Also with the Olympics in Paris this year there were be more tourists than usual.

London and the Amalfi coast could work. If you choose Switzerland and Italy you will probably have to choose one area of Italy to focus on after Switzerland, such as Northern Italy with Venice, Florence, Rome, or just the Amalfi Coast. We waited until our 10th trip to Europe to see the Amalfi coast since it is not as easy to navigate with heavy traffic.

You will have a wonderful time!

Posted by
4859 posts

...first half of the trip is more go-go-go....the last part (Amalfi) is relaxing.

With the stress that usually comes with weddings, you will want (or need) lots of rest and relaxation -not lots of go-go-go. Don't try to do quite so much. Suggest you pick only two locations from which you can (but don't have to) make days trips that interest you. Every time you change locations you'll lose at least a half a day if not more.

May you love long and prosper.

Posted by
4759 posts

The Sorrento/ Amalfi area is NOT relaxing, due to the congestion and nine-months a year crowding. Perhaps do some more research first.

The Sorrento/Amalfi Coast is a victim of its Instagram success- it's very crowded three seasons of the year, and shoulder season is no longer less traveled. Compound that with poor infrastructure, narrow roads, traffic congestion, and poor public transportation. There is no quick and efficient mode of travel, it's very different from areas north of Naples. The Circumvesuviana train doesn't always run on time, is pretty gritty, with no air conditioning. The Sika buses are extremely crowded and often skip stops if they have no space for additional passengers. The ferries are weather dependent.You need lots of patience- and time- to explore the area. Be prepared for the chaos.

Two weeks is best spent in one country. Perhaps pick one, get the guide books, read the Trip Reports on the Forum, Search here for specific topics, and review the posts under each country.

Paris has the preparations and advance parties coming in for the summer Olympics, so I'd skip Paris for this year.

You need to decide on an itinerary asap, as many places are booking up already, especially in the AC, due to pent- up, post- COVID demand.

Spend the next two weeks in research mode, get a feel for real conditions on the ground, set your priorities and interests, and firm up your plans before the end of Jan. Enjoy your adventure. Have a great trip.

Posted by
17962 posts

Depending on where you go if is a repeat of this year then tourism will be at, or slightly below, pre-COVID levels. But many businesses tanked due to covid so there may be fewer options in some regards. Flights for instance.

Since you mentioned the Amalfi coast, do know that it has become so crowed that people don't go there LOL. But I would think about flying into Milan and then spend a few weeks traveling Italy on the way to Amalfi. Maybe a few nights each in smaller towns with day trips to the big sights.

But I've been married so many times that I am a bad source of advise.

enjoy

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all so much for your honest feedback and suggestions! I truly appreciate it.

Posted by
2324 posts

I would choose option 1, but reverse the order. Start in Italy, when it is not so hot and crowded. Relax for a few days, maybe 3 nights. Then make your way north. Rome deserves 4 nights, so that puts you at a week in Italy already. Time flies.

Maybe stop in Stresa on your way from Rome to Switzerland.

I do not recommend Interlaken as a destination. It is a transit hub on the way to your destination. I would go to Wengen. Stay someplace with a balcony overlooking the valley. Stay 5 nights if you can. Then take the train to Zurich the night before your flight.