Please sign in to post.

Neck Pillows

On "Up in the Air," George Clooney's character says neck pillows are useless. Yet they are available with positive comments in Rick Steve's Travel Store. Who is right? Who do I trust? I'd like to hear from those of you who have used one. Useless and ridiculous? Invaluable and don't-leave-home-without-it? Let me know.

Posted by
355 posts

You do realize that it is comedy. He also says, "Never get behind old people. Their bodies are littered with hidden metal and they never seem to appreciate how little time they have left. Bingo, Asians. They pack light, travel efficiently, and they have a thing for slip on shoes. Gotta love 'em." and sole goal in life is to accumulate airline miles even though he as no use for them. I won't leave home without one. Bus, train, boat or plane they are essential.

Posted by
5529 posts

Ever started to drift off to sleep while sitting up and had your head suddenly snap down ... that is what the neck pillow prevents. If you have a window seat, you don't really need one as there is a place to lean your head against. Similarly, if you are traveling with a companion, they may not care if your head suddenly falls against their shoulder. You might not have the same option when seated next to a stranger. I think they are useful, but not essential.

Posted by
1446 posts

I find it very important for me. Provides support for me neck, and I don't get that just through the airline seats.

Posted by
9363 posts

Useless....haven't found one yet that works well.

Posted by
19099 posts

I had the opportunity some years ago when I worked for an employer, who bused us to work for an hour every morning on a highway coach, to test various neck pillows. I wasn't restricted by size or weight, because I was just traveling to work, but I never found one that worked for me. Then, in 1988, I took and inflatable neck pillow with me to Germany. It's stayed at home ever since. IMCO, they don't work. I'm not sure, in fact, that they are better than nothing.

Posted by
2715 posts

I love my neck pillow. I forgot it once, and I was in agony without it could not fall asleep and was very uncomfortable. This is obviously an individual thing.

Posted by
1626 posts

After trying a couple pillows without success, I tried the Brookstone neck pillow. The fabric is soft, not slippery and really supports my neck watching movies, my computer or reading. I rarely sleep on planes, but if I doze off for a few minutes, the pillow keeps my head from dropping, then jerking back up when I snap back out of my cat nap. Any flight longer than 4 hours, the pillow goes with me.

Posted by
990 posts

I've tried a variety of neck pillows for long haul flights. I've gone through three different inflatables (including the Rick Steves one) and sorry, Rick, they don't work for me. On the plus side, they're light in weight, but they are heard to inflate to the right pressure and they develop leaks. Next I went to the buckwheat hull filled horseshoetoo bulky, takes up half my carryon, and no support to keep myhead from flopping forward. (It was, however, comfy as a regular pillow when I had to spend the night at an airport once.) I tried the Komfort Collar memory foam pillowtoo bulky and it wasn't that comfortable for me. Too big and uncomfortable around the back of the neck, where the bulge of memory foam just got in the way. My last neck pillow is the one is actually use nowthe Embrace Sleep Collar. It's memory foam, but about half the size of the Komfort Collar. The chin portion is contoured so it doesn't feel as "choky" as the Komfort Kollar, and it has plain fabric across the back of the neck, eliminating the bulge and making it less hot to wear. It's smaller and more compact, too. I bring mine on board my wrapping it round my upper arm before boarding (where you might fasten a blood pressure cuff, which it actually looks a lot like!) so it isn't taking up space in my carry-on. First neck pillow that I wanted to use more than once, and I never leave it behind now on any transatlantic or transpacific or redeye transcontinental flight.

Posted by
12172 posts

I used to hate them, felt like I was in traction, until I realized you don't have to blow them up all the way. Like a sleep number mattress, fill them up to wear they give you the support/comfort you want. Something other than plastic against your skin is better too. Don't blow them up on the ground. It's likely to leak at altitude (or at least firm up a lot) because the pressure change will make the air inside expand 50% or more depending on the cabin altitude (usually set at 8,000 feet).

Posted by
120 posts

Invaluable and don't-leave-home-without-it. I have no idea how I'd sleep on the plane w/o one. (I use the Eagle Creek Comfort Travel Pillow. Inflates easily and it's easy to adjust the pressure w/a push of a button.)

Posted by
1914 posts

They don't work for me so much for my neck, but my back generally hurts after a few hours and my blow up pillow works great for back support. I just blow it up a bit and it is perfect.

Posted by
75 posts

I always bring one, though I've yet to find a comfortable way to wear it... Usually I end up using it as a pillow to keep my head off the wall, or sometimes I'll lay back against it if my back gets achy...

Posted by
104 posts

Really - its like anything you like socks with your shoes I don't who's right ? Something you must decide for yourself. It's a comfort thing - I prefer the Deluxe neck pillow that Rick offers because I have sleep and neck issues, especially trying to sleep sitting up.