Please sign in to post.

Neck Pillow??

I'm leaving for Europe in a couple of weeks and a friend was very kind to give me a really nice neck pillow. It has a plush covering with memory foam...quite cushy! It's one of those donut-shaped contraptions with the space to pop your neck through...
At first I was excited at the prospect of trying it out but then I thought about the space it would take up in my luggage between flights.
What do you all think? Are they worth it? Do they really work?
I have a horrible time sleeping on planes but maybe this will help?
Would love to hear if anyone loves or hates them.

Posted by
93 posts

Anita, I used a blow up u shape last fall on our flight to Germany from US.. I liked it. I liked that when I was done with it I let the air out and it was flat and took up no space in my suitcase.. I put it away when we got home and haven't used it flying in the U.S. I keep forgetting about it. I wouldn't want to carry it around everyday.
Enjoy your trip.
Sue

Posted by
646 posts

I resisted these for years. Thought they wouldn't make a difference. After hearing so many good things about them, I bought one. It's a memory foam one and it really makes a difference in stabilizing your neck. It's so comfortable. I just hook it around the strap of my carry on when not in use. Haven't had a problem. Not sure I would go with the blow up model.

Posted by
5678 posts

I've carried a blow up pillow for years and when I need it, I am really happy to have it. More recently, I got travel pillow that is not the neck pillow as a present. I've taken it on train trips and I think I might take it on my next overseas trip if I ever get to do so again. :( It's the best small pillow that I've ever had.

Posted by
985 posts

I have a blow up one and I like it because it doesn't take up space once I deflate it. I find it really comfortable for periods on the plane but not for the whole flight. That might just be me, though, because I can't sit still that long. The periods of being comfortable make it worth while to me to bring it along.

Posted by
1410 posts

add me to the blow up group. mine has a fleece finish so it never gets sweaty

Posted by
1626 posts

Love the neck pillows and have the foam with the microfiber cover. I have a strap on top of my carry to strap it too. I don't really sleep much on planes, but really helps me relax and cat nap more than without.

Posted by
15576 posts

I've always used the inflatable ones for all the reasons mentioned. The last one I bought had a removable plush cover that was great . . . until it, like all its predecessors, developed a leak. I've kept the plush cover and hope I'll be able to buy a new one that will fit inside it. I've seen a good number of people in airports with the other kind dangling from their luggage. To me they look cumbersome. I always feel like I'm carting too much around with me as it is.

Posted by
712 posts

I always refuse to take one, dreading it's awkwardness and having to lug it around everywhere... I also always eyeball my sister's enviously as she get all comfortable on the plane or train while I struggle to prevent neck cramping. I think for this summer's trip I am going to get an inexpensive one (the chain store Five Below has some for $5) and if it gets to be too much to handle, I won't feel guilty dumping it.

Posted by
1976 posts

For those of you who use blow-up neck pillows, can you name the brands? I'd like to bring one on my next trip for the transatlantic flights and am looking for a good brand - one that stays inflated, is comfortable, etc.

Posted by
11294 posts

I just buy a cheap inflatable one, and bring a backup since they develop leaks sooner or later (they're lightweight and very small when deflated, so it's easy to bring two). I treat them like collapsible umbrellas - it's not worth spending a lot of money, just throw them away when they break. And much like cheap umbrellas, sometimes they last a long time, sometimes they break quickly.

Posted by
344 posts

Ive used the inflatable ones, PROs: cheap and easy to shrink down in size. But I always found them slippery, and too squishy to be very effective.

I dear for you to consider: Go to Amazon.com. Type in "Cabeau Memory Foam". You will see what, to me, someone who is frugal + someone who doesn't like " gimmicks " looks like a big, clunky, expensive head rest. That's what I thought when I saw my husband unpacking his. I rolled my eyes in simplicity superiority, planning to roll up a small, lightweight fleece to use as a pillow on our trip from San Diego to Rome.

Luckily for me, we had a short trip scheduled previous to our international vacation and my husband INSISTED I try the new headrest. Ridiculous, expensive, one more thing to carry.......... ZZZZZZZ ( that was me sleeping comfortably). It supported my neck, no head lolling, yet allowed me to use the seat headrest, was Not squishy nor was it too rigid, and it really does collapse into the little bag it comes with (see photo on Amazon). If I'm spending big $ on a flight I can splurge on this and it was well worth it. Read the 1200+ reviews on Amazon. Enjoy your trip!

SuzieeQQ

Posted by
15576 posts

Suziee, I just put it on my amazon list for my next shopping trip . . . a year away, sigh. I may check back with you then to see if it's lasted. Thanks.

Posted by
2323 posts

I've been on an endless quest to find a neck pillow that allows me to sleep on an airplane. It turns out the pillow isn't my problem (mostly it's seat pitch, short legs, nerves) but I keep trying. My latest endeavor is this pillow which allows me to support my arms (by resting them in the bottom loop of the pillow). I was able to snooze for a few hours on a 12 hour flight to SE Asia - a huge improvement over prior journeys.

Posted by
2297 posts

I used an inflatable pillow for years. It was ok and certainly easy to carry along. And then I got a chance to travel with one that has those little micro beads in it. It takes up much more space but it makes a big difference for me and is definitely worth the extra hassle for me! To be honest, I don't sleep that much more, it would take a miracle to achieve that. But I feel much better once I arrive at the destination.

And in the end, it's not that much more difficult to carry along: I just attach it to my carry on and go.

Posted by
3391 posts

Wow! Great info everyone! You've convinced me to give it a try. I'll be packing it along at least as far at my first destination...I can always "forget" it on the plane if it doesn't work for me but, after reading all of your posts, I have a feeling it's going to be a good thing for me.
Thank you very much!

Posted by
15576 posts

Do it, Anita. When I don't use a neck pillow and I fall asleep, my head always drops the wrong way and I wake up with a stiff neck.

By the way, yesterday I went to get my international driver's permit and stopped at the nearby travel store. I saw the Cabeau pillow that Suziee recommended. It's still kind of bulky when it's squished up but I'm seriously thinking of getting it. It's about $40 on Amazon in the U.S. but more like $55 here. On the other hand, I'm off on an RS tour with lots of bus time so I'm probably going to buy it.

Posted by
1976 posts

Thanks for the additional information. My next step: go to travel stores, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, etc. to check out neck pillows!

Posted by
1626 posts

We bought ours at Brookstone. (microfiber outside)

Posted by
68 posts

If you loop it around your carryon, does that count as 'extra' baggage, I wonder...

Last week I bought the Brookstone pink one for $5 (only bright pink was on sale for $5, the rest were $25), and I really want to carry it on.

Posted by
12172 posts

I can see a memory foam pillow being much more comfortable but taking up too much space - not just for the flight but the entire trip.

I normally pack a blow-up pillow with a soft cloth cover and only inflate it partially. Fully inflated isn't very comfortable.

Posted by
1976 posts

Brad, that's exactly my concern about bringing a regular neck pillow - the amount of space it takes up, and the annoyance in transporting it between cities. If you loop it around your extendable suitcase handle at the base, does it ever fall off? And when you close the handle to store the bag on a train, or check the bag on a budget flight, the pillow becomes one more thing you must pack or carry. I'd prefer an inflatable kind, esp. if the only 2 times I'm going to use it are on the transatlantic flights.

Posted by
18 posts

I have used various kinds of neck pillows. I finally tried a blow up one. I can adjust the amount of support and I no longer feel like my head if being thrust forward. After a trip to London and 2 trips to China with it, I am finally finding I can get some real sleep on the plane. I suspect it is all a matter of trial and error until you find the one that works for you.

Posted by
35 posts

I got a neck pillow in anticipation for my trip too but I realised it was totally redundant. I thought it would help with the sleep on the plane but it sort of made it more uncomfortable. I flew in Qatar and for their seats, they have things at both sides of your head that you can prop up so that your head has support while sleeping. Also the seat already has a raised cushion at the neck area so it was not necessary. So i guess it depends on the type of planes you are flying in. hope this helps!