Please sign in to post.

My Mediteranean Cruise from Barcelona October 2024

My cruise is coming up and I have been finalizing my excursions.

I am going to discuss my choices because I had sought advice from this forum and that advice was taken into consideration when I made my choices.

First, my hotel in Barcelona. I have chosen Barcelona Hotel Continental. This was recommended to me from this forum along with many other very good recommendations. I did not necessarily choose the best one. I chose what I believed to be the best one for me.

And now on to my excursions. Many of them were chosen with advice from this foirum as I have already said. And I did a lot of research

A lot of members willr remember that I have an arthritic knee which causes me some to a lot of pain and some to a lot of grief.

Right now, I am recovering from pneumonia and strangely enough there is no pain in my knee at all????? But I expect that eventually the pain will be returning and I will be taking Voltaren with me.

I do have an appointment with a surgeon in July for surgery next year.

Continuing on with my shore excursions. Almost all of them are Level 2 and I have my reservations about my choices . Even without my arthritic knee, I walk slower than younger people. I am old and it is often difficult to keep up.

Level 1 excursions often sound too boring just from the descriptions. Level 3 are completely out. I do not get enough information from the written descriptions or when I call the call center. You do not always know what to expect. I will have a cane. I can walk some but often slowly and with difficulty. I have to sit down a lot. Bur I have been on other cruises wirth persons who have to walk back to the bus because they can not continue. I am feeling that i can manage but have concerns as said.

Cannes -- I have chosen to go with Monaco and Monte Carlo

Florence - I have chosen one that includes The David, the museums and Florence . This is one that is for limited mobility guests who use canes, walkers and wheel chairs. It is going to be a long excursion and I will be with people more like myself. It was expensive.

Rome - also one that is for limited mobility guests. it will include a long day to the Vatican and Sistine Chapel, etc. I wil be with guests more like myself and this too is expensive

Naples - Sorrento and Amalfi by Land & Sea

Messina - not yet booked but have decided on Highlights Of Taormina

Valetta Malta - NATIONAL MUSEUM & SILENT CITY for limited mobility guests. Again I will be with persons like myself and again it is an expensive excursion

Cagliari Sardinia - Norwegian does not yet offer any excursions . If none are offered when it is cruise time, I will just walk off the boat and do my own thing. I know they have offered excursions on other voyages. Can not believe they have nothing offered yet.

Palma Majorca, Spain - I have chosen the Hop On Hop off bus which with my amenities costs me nothing Maybe I will just ride the hop on hop off and not even get off. I think that I azm going to be really tired by the time that I get here.

Again, some of my decisions were made with input from persons on this forum. I thank you and eventually there will be a trip report.

EDIT: I have discovered that all three excursions for limited mobility guests are listed as #1 level even though they are long days with lots of activity.

Posted by
4562 posts

I think the excursions in Florence and Rome will be well worth their expensive cost. You will be visiting what sites that were my absolute must sees on my first trip to Europe in 1985.

Posted by
8807 posts

You have been dreaming/planning this trip for a long time and I know you must be excited about it getting closer. I am glad to see that you are giving thought to how to manage your knee and reducing your pain.

I remain concerned that even with the limited mobility rated tour of the Vatican/sistine Chapel the walking and standing involved will turn this into a painful rather than pleasant experience for you. Make sure to take care of yourself!

Posted by
2122 posts

Hi Cala and Carol

I now realize that both the excursions in Florence and Rome are considered at the #1 level.

Yet they are long all day excursions that even those who do not have limited mobility participate in.

It is going to be interesting Carol how they make it easier for us to navigate the Vatican. I will be letting you knoiw.

Posted by
332 posts

Have you considered getting a cane seat?
Most of them require straddling the seat, but I bought one like this
after my first knee replacement to use on a tour where there would be some walking, but more standing around.

Trying to stand from a straddling position with sore knees didn't sound safe to me.

It would either have to go in a large checked bag or possibly the airline would store it wherever they put the strollers and such?

Posted by
5330 posts

I'm not surprised that the Florence and Rome excursions, as well as the Amalfi day are full day tours. You will spend a LOT of time sitting on a bus just getting there and back, and between sites. I assume part of each excursion will include a lunch break. The amount of time spent on your feet should be a fraction of the total. Hopefully you can spend the time before the cruise in building up your walking endurance. You might also ask your surgeon if a knee brace would be of any benefit, in addition to your cane.

Posted by
274 posts

Hello, Boston Phil! I have a friend who just returned from a Mediterranean cruise that among other places, also stopped in Cagliari. She didn't know much about it, so she opted to just walk around the Old town. She did tell me though, that there is a city tour bus at the port for 15€ that would take you around on a 60 minute tour. You could get off places. Possibly this would be an option for you if you don't find any other excursion choices.

Posted by
2122 posts

Hi CJean

I am aware that the bus ride from Civi to Rome is vey long. I will probably sleep some of the going and returning.

We do get lunch breaks but it is lunch on your own. However since most of the guests use canes, walkers, and wheelchairs, I hope they will take us to a place where it is easy to find a restaurant

I am on a bus for those with canes, walkers and companions for those who are in wheelchairs.

Thise who need wheelchairs are on. a seperate vehicle that is equiped for their needs. .

I have never been to Rome, Fkorence or the other ports and have no reason to think that I will be coming
back so I am splurging money wise and maybe even energy wise.

Posted by
2122 posts

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

I will be writing a trip review after i am home and recovered but I might be posting some right from my ship after my excursions.