Please sign in to post.

Munich or Zurich for New Year's Eve 2015?

I'll be in Innsbruck in the days leading up to NYE, and will be departing for either Zurich or Munich on the 30th of December. Would love to hear opinions on which city would be better. Not a huge party/clubbing guy, but enjoy some beer and fireworks. I'm also open to suggestions for other places that would be within easy reach of Innsbruck. Thanks!

Posted by
20947 posts

I know nothing either of party scene, but the way currency rates are going, Munich is bound to be half the cost of Zurich.

Posted by
37 posts

In my opinion there is no better place to spend New Years than Berlin. We do not go to Brandenburg Gate way to crazy but have a ball buying our own fireworks, finding a great place to eat late then going out in the street with everyone else and setting off the fireworks. Or as my husband says contributing to the mayhem!

Posted by
5697 posts

Get on a direct train to Vienna -- fireworks and waltzing in the streets. Great!!

Posted by
17 posts

I keep seeing Vienna being recommended for NYE - if you don't mind me asking, what's so much better about Vienna than Munich? I see that the train from Innsbruck to Munich is about 2 hours, and to Vienna is 4 1/2 hours, so would Vienna really be that much more worth it than Munich?

Posted by
5458 posts

New Year's Eve on the streets of Vienna is actually a pretty frightening thing, in my opinion. People throw bottles, shoot fireworks sideways, etc. There is no fireworks show put on by the city, just lots of people shooting off the fireworks they bought themselves. We stay holed up in our apartment and watch from our rooftop at a great distance.

That said, what does make New Year's a fun event in Vienna is the Silvesterpfad. Silvester is the German name for New Year's; pfad means path. The Silvesterpfad starts on 12/31 and winds from the Town Hall (Rathaus) through the center of town back toward the Opera House. The event goes until mid day on 1/1. There are music stages, places to buy drinks. We usually go around mid morning on 1/1 and walk through, making sure to watch the famous Vienna Philharmonic New Year's Concert from the big screen at the Rathaus. People will be waltzing and that is fun.

I have never been to Zurich or Munich for New Years, but based on my other visits to those cities I would pretty much bet that Munich would be about 100% more fun. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with Zurich unless you are interested in banking and spending lots of money.

Posted by
2779 posts

New Year's Eve in the German speaking countries:

Germany:

• You have dinner with friends and family, at home or at a restaurant (must book table early in advance)
  • At midnight everybody gathers in the streets for fireworks. Everybody can do their own firework. It's loud, crazy...

Switzerland:

• You have dinner with friends and family at home or can actually afford a restaurant in Switzerland.
  • At midnight you hug, kiss and then go to bed.

Austria:

• You have dinner with friends and family, at home or at a restaurant (must book table early)
  • Around 11pm you gather in the illuminated streets.
  • At midnight the entire country dances to the Blue Danube Waltz. It's broadcast live from Vienna on ALL TV and radio stations and on speakers in the streets. It's magic. (Technically you also listen to the "Pummerin", the big bell of St. Stephen's cathedral in Vienna in that broadcast first).