Please sign in to post.

Multi country trip in March or April 2013

Hey all, my husband and I were thinking of taking two weeks and flying to Paris, taking a train to Barcelona and then flying to Dublin. We haven't set the exact dates yet, but I have a few questions: 1. Are there any trustworthy web sites that would help us plan this trip? 2. Is that a decent time to go to those countries? 3. Are there any side trips that would be fun and worthwhile during that time? 4. Are overnight trains the best way to go or should we fly from Paris to Barcelona? We would love any thoughts from seasoned travelers. Thanks!
Heather

Posted by
799 posts

In addition to the excellent advice you've receive so far, here's more: Time of year - without looking at any weather websites, I'd say that another (warmer, sunnier) time of year might be better for Dublin. Paris can be enjoyed regardless of the weather, as can Barcelona. You mentioned really wanting to visit these countries, yet you named only cities. Do you you really want to visit Ireland, France and Spain, or those specific cities? I ask because if you want to experience the countries outside of the cities, then you should narrow your trip to one or two countries. I would fly between Paris and Barcelona; taking the train is too much time and hassle. I also would plan the trip myself, using the internet and websites such as this. But I like to plan trips.

Posted by
23548 posts

1. Not sure what you are asking for. Most web sites are decent including this one. If looking for a web site to plan it for you, that a different question. Most travel web sites work best when you have done your homework and can ask specific questions. 2. My preference for those locations would be October/September. The general weather will be warmer and dryer. March/April can be chilly and rainy especially in the northern part. Probably cold to someone from SC. 3. Of course there are dozens of side trips that are fun and worthwhile but who knows what you like to see and do. There is where you have to do your own homework with guidebooks and DVDs. What good would it for me to recommend a side trip to a winery when you do not or cannot drink wine. 4. I am not a big fan of night trains but others are. It can be economical but I do not get a good nights sleep. With the distances you are look at, the budget airlines might be a better option but they have some serious hassle problems that trains do not. Just from your comments - why those cities? They are widely separated so you will spend a lot of time and money getting between them. Consider an open jaw into Dublin and home from Barcelona. Don't back track to Dublin.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you. I am kind of looking for a website that would help us plan the whole thing, unless you think it would be cheaper to just get over there and plan as we go. I have found one, europeandestinations.com, that allows for multi city travel booking, but I don't know if it is safe. We chose those countries because we don't travel much (and don't have much time off) so thought we would hit the places we really wanted to go in one fell swoop.

Posted by
23548 posts

I think you need to define "plan" for me. Are you looking for a travel agency that would recommend and make reservations for you? Sort of a package deal? For me planning is deciding when I am going, where I am going, things to see, modes of transportation, etc. Again, I come back to you doing your homework. Go to the library - check out various travel guides for those cities, watch DVDs. The Rick Steves DVDs are excellent and available in most libraries. You need to develop a mind set of what you would like to see and do. It is very hard in the limited response available to you to plan your trip for you. From a quick glance, europeandestinations.com, looks like a travel agency selling packaged deals. I am sure they are OK.

Posted by
175 posts

Just to clarify what Frank is saying, there are more options than 1. having someone plan it for you (agency) and 2. not having any plans before you go. To get the best experience (unless you can pay a top and very expensive travel agent to customize all sorts of unique and expensive experiences for you), you should plan it yourself before you go with the help of guidebooks and travel websites like this one. The first step, like Frank said, is to go to the library and check out a variety of guidebooks on the areas you're interested in. For preliminary research, it's okay if they are a few years out of date, you want to get a feel for the book and which you might be interested in purchasing and a feel for the place and general things you'd like to do. (Also, to really get your money's worth out of a travel agent, you'd need to do this step anyway: how can they plan a trip for you that you'd enjoy if you don't know what you'd like to do?) After that, start fleshing out your itinerary and asking questions on message boards like this one.