Please sign in to post.

Morocco

My wife and I are leaving for Spain in the middle of May. We are considering the day trip to morocco and are curious if it is: 1. Worth it? 2. Safe? Any thoughts????

Posted by
264 posts

Worth it? Perhaps, it really depends upon whether you have some special interest there. Just don't drink any water or eat anything raw, or you will get sick and spoil the rest of your vacation. Contrary to the opinions of some, Morocco is still a 3rd world country. I lived in Morocco for 2 years; I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone as a day trip.

Posted by
1589 posts

Yes and yes. There are 17 entries up under the search function regarding this question.

Posted by
4555 posts

I assume you mean the day trip to Tangiers. Yes, it's worth it, if only for the experience of seeing a different culture in action. Tangiers is a very international city, not really representative of North Africa....you won't see Berber tribesmen in tent villages when you are there. But it is different, and if you've got the time, plan on making the day trip. If you go on your own, follow Rick's tour to the T and you should be OK....as an earlier poster said, watch the water and uncooked food from open air stalls. If you're hesitant, there are dozens of companies up and down the Costa that will take you for the day....probably about 65 Euro pp including bus and ferry, and a lunch. Remember in your calculations that Tangiers will be 2 hours BEHIND Spain's time. Normal precautions against theft and pick-pocketing should be taken....moneybelt, no knapsacks with valuable things inside, etc.

Posted by
4555 posts

James....I wouldn't even eat washed fruits or vegetables in Morocco, just in case. I guess Bill must have some sort of perspective on it, having lived there two years.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you everyone for the replies. It sounds like the visit to Tangier would be a cultural experience! I think we'll hire the guide recommended in the book if we do go. If we don't have time, will the southern cities (Tarifa, Algeciras) give us a similar impression of Tangier?

Posted by
8293 posts

James: Bill's advice not to eat anything raw refers, of course, to fresh fruit and salads, and is good advice for travellers wishing to avoid sickness when in that part of the world.

Posted by
8293 posts

So, James are we to believe, if as you say, eating raw fruit is "stupid" no matter where you live, that you have never eaten an apple, a peach, a strawberry or a grape? What a deprived life you live. Most fruit is eaten uncooked, as a matter of fact, unless it comes from a can or is preserved in jam.

Posted by
4555 posts

No, Matthew, unfortunately, they will not. They are Andalucian Spanish, and not Moroccan by any means (even the "diluted" Moroccan feeling you get in Tangiers.") Tarifa is a nice town to visit, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there if I wasn't already planning a swing thru the area...it is, however, the best place to grab a fast ferry to Tangiers. Algeciras has nothing redeeming.

Posted by
258 posts

I didn't visit Tangiers - but did go to Marrakesh. It wasn't my idea and I wasn't that excited to go, but I have to tell you it was a major highlight of my trip. We always ordered a bottle water or Coke to be on the safe side. I would definately reccomend trying the chicken tangine. The stuff is AMAZING! The food down there is just great overall. Also getting a glimse at the culture was very interesting & fun.

Posted by
1556 posts

Not sure why the OP should stay away from Casablanca. I thought it was worth the visit.

If time permits, the places to hit are Fez and Marrakech and possibly a trip into the Atlas mountains.

Morocco is definitely worth it if you are willing to be out of your comfort zone - it is vastly different from most of Europe.