Please sign in to post.

Moneybelt Comfort

In researching this website I've found lots of info on moneybelts, but not a lot on their comfort. Because of the seemingly flimsy stretchy waistbands on most, I'm considering a PacSafe CoverSafe even though the metal will set off airport alarms. Does anyone know how comfortable this moneybelt is in comparison to those with elastic waist belts?

Posted by
1455 posts

Lo
I'm not one for moneybelts but I like the neck ones better. They remind me of lanyards I wear at work, but I wear this one under my shirt.

Posted by
368 posts

I found the elastic ones just fine. It was a pain to get it out of your pants when you needed something (and you didn't want to go to a washroom), but overall the experience was as good as one could have for wearing an odd belt bag under your clothes for 4 weeks.

I wouldn't bother with the more expensive, pac-safe version. Seriously, no one is going to reach into your pants and try to cut/pull out your money belt. Even if they did, I think I would rather have something they could easily break away versus something that is going to cause more of a ruckus.

Posted by
23270 posts

I think the key to comfort is how you wear it. We find them very comfortable but it in the small of the back and above the waist line under the shirt. It is a comfortable position and the strap does not ride down. But there are those who prefer to use a money belt as a hidden billfold and will wear it at the waist line behind the belt buckle or sometimes slight off to the side so that access is easy. I don't think that is the smartest way to use it but it is better than a billfold, loose purse, or the front pocket. It is just a matter of degrees of security. At 10 or 12 dollars for a money belt, it is cheap to experiment. Wear one in town locally for a few days and she what you think. You could always shift to the more expensive pack safe later.

Posted by
206 posts

I can't stand the straps, so I safety pinned my moneybelt to the back of my pants (so that it rested horizontally in the small of my back). After the first day, I forgot it was there!

Posted by
446 posts

I tried the Rick Steves neck wallet on my recent trip, and liked it. Some have complained that its construction is flimsy, but I did not experience that. It is light, but that's the point. It's made of silk and easily goes under your shirt. You hardly feel it. I was able to put my passport, a few credit cards, and a bunch of Euro bills in it with no problem.

I personally find the neck wallet more secure and less of a hassle than money belt. I usually put 50 Euros or so in my regular wallet (which I always keep in my front pocket) for easy access and keep the rest in the neck wallet. That way, should I get pickpocketed, I don't lose too much. But, so far, in my years of travel, I've never experienced any robberies.

Posted by
53 posts

Hi, I'm in Europe right now...didn't think I could stand a money belt...used
the Target brand one around the waist..and have gotten used to it. Had the
Samsonite ones I purchased at Mervyn's before it closed..never liked them.

There was some discussion awhile back about placing your passport in it or not..Some like to color copy to carry around...others place the real passport
in the money belt.

Regards...

Posted by
6 posts

I too have tried the moneybelt (the type sold by Rick Steves, not the type of belt with a hidden zipper on the inside) but found that the flimsy belt kept slipping and I would have to go to a restroom to re-tighten it and ultimately ending up stapling the belt to keep it from slipping, althought I have no problem with it overall.

There is a third option. Its a small flat case about the size of an envelope with belt loops on one end. You slip your belt through the loop and tuck the case inside your pants. A lot more comfortable and more easily accessible than a moneybelt. You should be able to find it at most well-stocked travel stores.

Posted by
162 posts

I once wore a money belt under my jeans, that didn't work. But it's more comfortable with my other trousers, the nylon Columbia pants. But when it's hot, it's uncomfortable either way - I just put up with it.

Posted by
6 posts

I used the RS moneybelt, with my Passport, and atm/credit cards in it under my jeans. The only time I felt it was climbing stairs, when the bottom of it would push against my legs. Never uncomfortable, and I'm glad I had it.

One guy on our trip had his License and atm card pickpocketed in Paris, because he wasn't being careful with his wallet. He had a moneybelt, but I don't know if he actually used it.

Posted by
842 posts

We just got back from France. My wife used her backpak as a purse, and I used my neck wallet that I had just purchased from REI. My old one was rough and chafing, but the REI one was awesome.

When I was out of tourist areas I just kept the neck purse in my front pocket.

Neither one of us like the moneybelts...they just sit at home.

I noticed that many people in Paris were carrying backpaks, but I don't like the security? of a backpak, so I generally follow behind my wife. When we were in Portugal I observed a guy head directly to her backpak, and just before he attempted to access it (slit the bottom?) he turned around and saw me approaching. He lit out of there like a scared Jack Rabbit!

Posted by
194 posts

My husband and I alternate days wearing the elastic waist moneybelt. That gives us a half a trip of moneybelt freedom! He wears it with the zippered pouch in front, but I'm with the person who likes it in back...of course, inside our pants (or in my case, skirt) waistband.

Posted by
3 posts

I have used Rick Steve's money belt and found it comfortable. As an alternative, I sew and made some small silk bags with tabs that snapped around my bra straps that allowed me to carry extra cash tucked safely in my bra. I made additional ones for a friend I was traveling with.

Posted by
1003 posts

I turned the money belt around, as some people (maybe even Rick?) suggest especially for women, so that the main pouch rested flat on my lower back underneath my pants. I thought it'd bother me, what with my passport, plane ticket, 2-3 credit and debit cards, and cash all inside, but I didn't even notice it. I have an Eagle Creek one and it came with a plastic sheath to protect from the sweat. Wouldn't go to Europe without it.

Posted by
12172 posts

I have tried wearing mine in back but have settled on wearing it below the beltline under my pants. If my shirt is tucked in, I'll wear the shirt closest to my body.

I tend to sweat when walking a lot so I'm careful to either get a lined moneybelt or put anything paper in a ziplock bag.

Posted by
1568 posts

In my opinion, PacSafe products are the safest. I have their fanny packs and day back pack and never worry.

Best be safe than sorry later.

Posted by
808 posts

Do you sew or have a good tailor? You could modify your money belt by adding a detachable zipper to your waistband or jacket.

You will need a travel wardrobe if you do this. All garments will need the other side of the zipper track to make it work. This works really well if you have to wear a uniform. It's a lot more comfortable than an elastic waist band money belt IMO.

Posted by
199 posts

Lo, I don't know about PacSafe's moneybelt, but I just got back from 2 weeks in London, Paris and Rome and wore my RS moneybelt everywhere. I was very comfortable, you don't even know you are wearing it.