Please sign in to post.

Money Exchange

It has been several years since we visited Europe. Generally where is the best place to exchange money?

Posted by
19095 posts

There is no "good" place to exchange money, ie, buy Euro with Dollars. The rates will be terrible. Use your ATM card to get Euro from automats. Most big banks in the U.S. charge an exchange rate of 3% over the international rate. Some, with the right account, don't charge anything. I deal with a small bank in Denver that charges 1% over plus $2 for an out-or-system ATM.

Before you go, be sure to inform your bank you'll be over there, so they won't put a fraud hold on your card when foreign transactions start showing up.

Posted by
870 posts

For me, the best way of obtaining European currency is by using ATM/debit cards in machines once you arrive (i.e., at the airport). With that said, one would need to find out what the fees are, inform the bank of your travel dates, and request an increase in their daily limit. You will get the best rate of exchange with hopefully limted fees (depending on your bank). Avoid exchange bureaus at the airport.

Posted by
10344 posts

This question is answered in our FAQ

click here

first question on the FAQ