Please sign in to post.

money belts

I have been using Rick Steve's money belts for a number of years. My problem now is that most women's pants and skirts have lower waists than they used to have. How do you use a safety money belt with that kind of clothing? Would one of the new pin on belts be easier?

Posted by
3774 posts

Sue, Read the thread "Photo of pickpocket in action; Eiffel Tower". Here is part of what I posted there, but it is the answer to your question. As for the way a woman can wear a moneybelt, here I go with Too Much Information, but it works for me. Wear the moneybelt low on your hip, inside your pants or jeans. Use safety pins in several locations to secure the strap that goes around you to your bikini (or whatever type) underwear. This gets it down away from your waist, so the strap cannot be seen even if you bend forward and some skin shows at your waist. (A moneybelt worn at the waist can have its strap cut in the back, and pulled out of your pants in an instant.) You are not going to access it in public EVER anyway, so it doesn't matter. Why is it pinned to your underwear? Just in case a pickpocket does put his hand one inch down the back of your pants and pull on the strap, it will give you such a wedgie, you will absolutely know you are being pickpocketed! Carry a small amount of cash in your pocket, just enough for an admission fee or a lunch. Better still if you have a zipper or snaps on the pocket to close it. I am not familiar with the new pin on belts, but sounds like that would work also, as long as it is concealed from sight and you do not access it in public. Also read the Graffiti Wall article, "Losing Everything and Bouncing Back" about moneybelts, safety tips, etc.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you, Rebecca. I'll try that at home and see how it works. I'm not sure how to find the thread "photo of a pickpocket in action", but will try to find it. Sue

Posted by
3207 posts

My favorite is the leg money belt. It stays on my calf securely and can not be seen because I wear straight leg or boot cut slacks. I find it more comfortable than the other types.

Posted by
23290 posts

Easy to find, just scanned the titles on this site towards the top. My wife does the reverse. She wears her money belt fairly high, just under the bra line and in the small of her back. I think a mistake is often made in assuming that the money belt has to be worn at the belt level.

Posted by
33 posts

Seriously, maybe I'll cancel my trip next month! This is ridiculous! So for all of you experienced travelers, how do you pay for things and not get taken! I'm not doing the money belt, but (the one that goes around my neck would be the best option). Shirts with a collar so they can't see the cord? If I want to pay a museum fee, the eiffel tower, a jazz club or god knows what, how do you take your euro's out and when?

Posted by
10344 posts

Anthony: No worries. 2 things: 1) The money belt is best worn under clothing - under trouseers, dress, shirt, blouse, whatever. r top clothing, whatever is comfortable. 2) Keep your daily money supply (an estimate) somewhere else, that's secure, but not in your money belt.

Posted by
4 posts

Anthony, I carry about 30-50 Euros for eating and incidentals in a cross body purse and keep the remainder (which I get at an ATM in about 300-500 Euro amounts when needed) in the money belt. If the hotel has a good combination lock room safe I leave my extra Euros in the safe. Otherwise I have in the past worn the money belt under my clothing around the waist. I'm assuming you've read Rick Steves' France or Paris guidebooks about buying Museum tickets and Metro tickets. I am only going to be in Paris 2 days at the beginning and one at the end of a tour and will buy a Metro carne--which is 10 tickets for the metro. Rebecca: Thanks for the link to the pickpocket video. Sue

Posted by
3774 posts

Anthony and Sue, Here is an article from the Graffiti Wall ("Losing Everything And Bouncing Back") that you should read: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti157.html It is people telling about actual thefts that happened to them. No need to freak out or cancel your trip anywhere because of these stories. The point is to learn from these, and prepare accordingly. Denying that there is any of this that goes on is foolhardy. A certain amount does go on. Anthony, no one intends to go paranoid about this, but it is realistic for you to read the Graffiti Wall article and be able to protect yourself.

Posted by
3774 posts

Sue, you're welcome. Actually it is not a video; it's another thread here under "General Europe". Good to read; lots of good advice there.

Posted by
33 posts

Yeh, I'm not going to cancel my trip. I'm looking at rick's bags and pacsafe and I'm trying to make a decision on what to purchase. Walking around I want a bag to carry my camera and rick's books. And I'll need some sort of money belt.

Posted by
11507 posts

I wear the low pants, I find it easy to tuck the moneybelt in low so the strap doesn't show in the back either, its elasitic so it hugs , and I tuck the pouch under my underwear,, trick is don't bulk it up with a bunch of non important stuff. Airplane tickets do not need to go in a moneybelt,, it they are lost its all on computer now. Secondly, I don't wear one every day, only if travelling or going to the ATM. Anthony,, please cancel trip, send me tickets and I will go alone in your place,, I 'm not the least bit afraid,, lol Paris is NOT scary folks,, but being ignorant of some basic issues is.. know how to use a moneybelt properly,, it is not a wallet.. it is not your purse, it is a safe, and you don't go into it in public.. you use your wallet, pocket or purse for everyday spending.

Posted by
355 posts

@anthony You are thinking about a money belt the wrong way (in my opinion). A money belt is not a replacement for your wallet. It is a replacement for your safety deposit box. Daily money and a credit card goes in the wallet. Money for tomorrow or the next day, etc, passport, ATM debit card (unless you are on your way to the ATM) and other things you will not need today go in the money belt which you only access either in your hotel room or a restroom stall. For example if I was spending a few days in a city, the card I have for riding the local bus would be in my wallet not my money belt, but the Eurail pass, and airplane ticket home would be in my money belt.

Posted by
508 posts

Sue - I saw a women's money belt in a local luggage store and it looked like it would work well with low rise pants. I haven't tried it yet, but it was much smaller than the standard money belt and had a tapered shape. Just search for 'women's money belt' and it comes up on several sites including Amazon. I think it might have been called a body pocket. I just use Rick's money belt and turn it so it's on my hip and make sure it's lower than the waist of my pants. It seems it doesn't ride up (even the strap) when it's turned off center as it does when I have it centered over my stomach.

Posted by
33 posts

Very interesting and pat and ed have interesting points. Points that aren't clear to me. See, I thought the reason to carry the money belt was to not have a wallet! Rick writes in his 2011 paris book, "keep your wallet in your front pocket." After reading dozens of posts, thieves will get in your pocket on busy metro trains. The atm cards and euro's for the day have to go somewhere.

Posted by
23290 posts

I think the discussion is going in circles. You should do what you think works best for you. It may be a little trial and error until you find a system that works for you. You have to think of it as an overall security system. Not just whether you wear a money belt or not. Over the years we have adapted a travel wardrobe that has lot of pockets that are secured by zippers or buttons. Most of our shirts have pockets that button. I never carry a billfold. During the day I carry my Euro in a money clip in one of the pockets that is zippered. A credit card (and the debit card if I carrying it that day) in another secured pocket, the passport in a third secured pocket. Anything else is in a small day bag. If anyone is observing me all they will see is a single credit card in a pocket, or a few Euro from another, but no tip off if I am carrying anything else of value or how much. It is very low key. In nearly a year of travel in some great pickpocket capitols of the world over the past 18 years or so, we have never had a problem. But I am not so confident that I don't believe that something could not happen on the next trip. Just trying makes us look like a low priority target. Worked so far.

Posted by
355 posts

@Anthony there is no fool proof 100% way to prevent being pickpocketed. Losing 50 euros sucks but it is risk that might happen. But it is not the end of the world and should not ruin a vacation. Losing ALL your money plus all your credit cards, debit cards and all id OTOH would ruin your vacation. The necessity of a money belt IMHO has less to do with the increased risk of being pick pocketed in Europe but the worse consequences. Lets say you lost your wallet in New Haven. It would suck. You would lose some money. Need to go to the DMV to get a new DL, cancel your cards. But you would still have a place to sleep, food to eat, you could borrow $100 from a friend or coworker until you replacement ATM card came from the bank. Now lets compare that to losing everything in Europe while on the way to the hotel to check in. You have no place to sleep. W/O any id or money you can't check in. You have nothing to eat. Nobody is going to loan you money all your friends are back in New Haven. You are screwed. This is why you need to have money/cards/id in multiple places. One of them is your wallet. The other is your money belt.

Posted by
4407 posts

Sue, I like one like http://luggagebase.com/product/97/Eagle-Creek-UnderCover-Hidden-Pocket.html It used to come with a large 'diaper' pin; if they don't anymore, you'll want to get a diaper pin! I've never worn it with a belt; I've always pinned it - sometimes horizontally, sometimes vertically, sometimes higher or lower. If I pin it through the 'straps', I can adjust it as I sit down so that it's more comfortable. This woman's pants don't have lower waists...;-)

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks Rebeccafound the articles you cited. Thanks Julie and Eileen for more tips on using security belts. And Eileen, where in the world do you find pants with waist bands that still fit at the waist? Sue

Posted by
4407 posts

Well, it's a lot harder than it used to be...and it takes careful label/ad/sign reading LOL! When the 'style' (ahem) was for low-rise pants and crop tops, I saved A LOT of money for those few years...;-)

Posted by
2349 posts

Amen to that, Eileen! I've also saved a lot of money by not buying polyester prints the last few years.If I want to sweat in something ugly I'll go to Goodwill, buy some old drapes, and wrap myself in plastic wrap. Oops, we went off topic.

Posted by
3580 posts

It is still possible to buy pants that have the waistline at the waist. I shop LLBean and Landsend. Some of their pants come in several styles, including the "traditional" waisted. I find the low-slung pants uncomfortable, so shop for what I want. The same goes for shirts; some "fall at high hip" and some are longer. I wear my moneybelt under several layers of clothing and have learned to access it only in private. For daily spending, I carry a small purse with wallet and money enough for the day. Since I travel in shoulder season, I wear a jacket or travel vest with secure pockets. At the ATM I quickly tuck the money and debit card into a secure pocket, then walk away from the ATM. I count the money and stow it later, preferably in my room.