Please sign in to post.

Money belts

Will moneky blets around the neck work just as well as the waist ones. Some of the reviews regarding waist ones took about lack of comfort. I'm concerned i might be one of those people.
thanks

Posted by
629 posts

I prefer using the neck style when the day involves a lot of driving a rental car. The waist style is a bit uncomfortable when you are behind the wheel for many hours. I prefer the waist style when walking around and using transit. Also in hot weather a neck wallet is too easy to spot under a shirt. Buy one of each and try them out. They don't cost a whole lot of money in the scheme of things.

Posted by
9100 posts

All the different varieties work well, it's just a matter of personal preference. I use both the neck and the and the hidden pocket models. Neck is used when I'm transit from one location to another and I may need to access passport, rail pass, tickets etc. Hidden pocket when I'm just out sightseeing. IMO the "traditional" waist model is a bit out dated. It was useful back in the days of paper airline tickets, but these days with e-tickets, you don't need that much space anymore.

Posted by
11294 posts

As Michael said, I like the hidden pocket kind that hangs off my belt inside my pants. This is easily accessible without disrobing, but only the loop on the belt is visible. As long as it's not overstuffed and I'm not wearing jeans, it's comfortable. My mother doesn't wear belts, so this kind would be useless to her. So, I got her a waist belt, but we didn't have time to wash it before the trip, and it was very scratchy. One washing later, it was soft, and she plans to wear it on our next trip. Moral of these stories: all the different kind work well, or not well, for some and not for others. So, check out all the options; you may even have to buy a few to see which you like best. And whichever kind you get, wash it before wearing, so it's softer and more comfortable. Rick sells several kinds, as does Eagle Creek.

Posted by
10225 posts

The hidden pocket type can be worn without a belt. Just safety pin it to your pants.

Posted by
11507 posts

I find my waist money belt comfy ,, it sits really low( since I wear lower waistline pants anyways) and I am thinner rather then fatter so my pants aren't skin tight( some people wear these tight waisted pants and then say the moneybelt isn't comfy, well of course nothing would be if your pants are already digging into your waist!!!)
I have never worn a neck pouch, it shows through my clothes and wouldn't be hidden at all, just a rectanglar blob under my tops!

Posted by
11507 posts

Plus, I agree that many people stick too much stuff in a money belt,,its for my passport and 1 credit and 1 ATM card and any excess cash . Nothing else is irreplaceable. Hotel , train and flight tickets or confirmations are easy to reprint off .

Posted by
10225 posts

A neck wallet doesn't show if, instead of wearing it around your neck, you shorten up the strap and wear it over one shoulder and under your arm...under your shirt of course. I safety pin it to my bra strap for extra security. I forget it's even there.

Posted by
2349 posts

They're inexpensive, about $15 each, and don't take up much space. Buy both, and wear what suits you on any given day.

Posted by
3207 posts

I use the leg belt, wear it just below the knee. It feels initially like wearing a knee sock. I usually wear boot cut pants so plenty of room. After a few minutes, I don't even notice it.

Posted by
9363 posts

Like Pat, the neck style doesn't work for me at all. Even if it was otherwise hidden (it's not on me), the string at the neck shows and drives me crazy.

Posted by
1068 posts

Just a rumor, but I've heard pants come in sizes now. That way, no matter what your shape, you can comfortably wear an "attached" money belt. I have all three belts; a "traditional" belt with zipper, a pouch which attaches to your belt via a loop and a neck wallet. I used the neck wallet until I realized how easy it was to spot. Now I pretty much use the attached pouch. For me the pouch at the belt is very comfortable. None of them are expensive, it would probably be worth it to try several of them.

Posted by
973 posts

I do what Andrea does some days. When I can use a hotel safe for the passport, I use a bra safe ( Eddie, that not not be for you but who knows?!) under my arm for the credit card and some cash.

Posted by
9363 posts

Whether you wear it normally or cross-body, the string is still visible at the neck - same problem. And Ray, some people don't wear belts - or pants, for that matter.

Posted by
2788 posts

Having gone to Europe every summer for the last 10+ years, I always use a money belt. Learned that the first time I was there and on a RS tour. I use to use a money belt that went around my waist but a couple of years ago switched to one around my neck. I find it more comfortable. I do not care if the string shows - guess I am not fashion tuned as much as some others are. As someone else has posted, they are inexpensive so buy one of each type and try them out to see which one you like better.

Posted by
10225 posts

Nancy is right that, depending on the neckline of your shirt, around the neck or cross body the straps can still show. I was describing wearing it over the shoulder and it fits under your arm. Nothing shows that way.

Posted by
1068 posts

I would certainly consider wearing a belt when traveling in order to help safeguard things like my passport/credit cards/ and cash. To me making small concessions (like wearing the same shirt twice, doing laundry in a sink or not using my electric toothbrush) to help make travel "work" are worth it. To each his/her own. There are also good suggestions above if someone doesn't wear pants or a belt.