Please sign in to post.

money belt

I am always reading about the advisability of using one of those waist type money belts ..acc. to this site even for credit cards, passport, money, etc..okay..my question is how do you realistically get out what you need when its all covered up inside this belt under your clothes! its a good idea but sort of impractical or difficult to carry out!

Posted by
9101 posts

To use a money belt properly, you use it to store your passport, excess cash and credit cards. In your wallet/purse you keep a day's spending money and perhaps one credit card if you have multiple cards. You should never access your money belt in public. If for some reason you need to access the belt, do so in private like a bathroom. Money belts don't prevent you from getting robbed, they cut your losses. Instead of losing everything, you just loose what is in your purse, and it won't ruin your trip.

Posted by
4535 posts

There are differences of opinion on this topic. I see no reason not to access a moneybelt in public as long as you are careful and alert to your surroundings. The point of a moneybelt is to make it nearly impossible for someone to pick your pocket so it doesn't matter if a potential thief sees you accessing it. "Moneybelt" is a generic term for any secure system. The waist belt tucked under clothing you mention is very common and effective, but hard to access and can be uncomfortable. Others prefer a neck wallet that hangs under your shirt. Very easy for access but some might not find that very comfy. I use a pouch that loops through the belt and folds over on itself. It has velcro and zippers so no one but me can get to it. There are types that fit around the leg too. And somewhat less secure is a pacsafe type purse IF you hang the strap across your body. But many women have a habit of slinging purses over their restaurant/cafe chair or removing it at times. That is very dangerous (both for theft and just plain forgetting it). And finally, carry a small amount of cash in a wallet, purse or pocket for easy access. If that is stolen, it won't ruin your trip. I don't like the idea of carrying any ID or credit card like that, because it becomes a hassle if it's stolen.

Posted by
2370 posts

search this site for "moneybelt" and you'll get a lot of Helpline questions (and answers) on this very subject - including why to use one, how to make wearing one more comfortable, the variety of styles available, and the endless discussion of pros and cons of using one in the first place.

Posted by
11507 posts

99.9% of us would strongly suggest you not use your moneybelt in public. It is "deep storage" not a place to keep money you wish to spend in a day. I am in the camp that leaves the bulk of my money and passport in the hotel safe, and only wear a moneybelt when travelling, or when my hotel does not have a safe. Some prefer to use a moneybelt everyday. The point of a moneybelt is quite clear,, it is not to be seen, it is hidden secure storage. I keep 50-100 euros in my purse for the days spending money. I have travelled like this to europe this way for decades,, I cannot imagine digging into my pants( which when one is trying to be discreet is also risky,, what if you a credit card or something while trying to dig, and look around to make sure you are not being viewed?)

Posted by
307 posts

I'm with Michael on how to use a money belt. And it's important to get something comfortable. I like Rick's silk moneybelt as it's compact, soft, and comfortable( I wear it in the small of my back). When I travel using my belt, I keep a days worth of spending money, and one credit card, in a zippered inside pocket of my jacket( or zippered/button pocket in my pants) but my debit card, driver's licence, passport, and extra cash are all safely stowed in the belt, and are not accessed. I keep my passport and cash in a small baggie in the belt to avoid them getting damp from sweat. This has worked well for me and to be honest, I don't even notice I'm wearing the belt...

Posted by
23313 posts

I follow the theory that if it is easy for me to get to then it will easier for someone else to get to. There has been two postings on this site within the past few months. First, the person was wearing a money belt behind his belt buckle and had all of his money taken when he was accessing it in public. Second, more of a mugging but a potential lost nevertheless, he can came out of a restaurant by himself and someone confronted him, thrust his hand down the front of his pants looking for the money belt where a lot of male tourist wear it. Fortunately for him he was wearing the money belt properly, under his clothing and too the back, and they got nothing. But everyone has to develop a system that they are comfortable with doing.

Posted by
4535 posts

"if it is easy for me to get to then it will easier for someone else to get to" That's not entirely accurate. A neck wallet is easy to access personally, but impossible to remove from around the neck by stealth and likely very difficult at best to access without you knowing. The belt pouch I use is very easy for me to access but impossible to remove from my belt and very difficult at best for someone to access without my knowing. There have been reports of thieves "grabbing and running" when someone is accessing their moneybelt - but I suspect this is extremely rare as such thefts overall are rare in Europe. Pickpockets tend to rely on stealth not force. Muggings fall under the extremely rare category. Besides, people have lost cameras that way too, but none of us recommend leaving the camera at home or the hotel. I do agree with Frank's last statement, which is that each person must decide their own physical and mental comfort level with a moneybelt and its use. There are many options available for both, all well described here.

Posted by
1125 posts

has anyone saved a link to the postings about the person who had money taken when accessing the belt in public, or the post about the groping outside the restaurant? I tried using search and can't find them.

Posted by
441 posts

I agree with Michael Schneider in NY and Frank in CO. Don't access it in public and if it's easy for you to get to it, it'll be easy for a pickpocket. I've used most types and settled on the hidden pocket. Find one that you can live with and USE it.