Please sign in to post.

money belt

i do not believe that any money belt will work for me. I am female, 5' and 88 lbs... my waist is 23 inc. (the money belt and all other waist things do not fit me at all!! :(
what can i use to keep safe my passport and money? (fyi.. i hate neck bags...) will my backpack be safe? ( i have been in Greece, Germany and sweeden and my backpack was just fine but i was traveling not alone then). thanks for your time and help!!

Posted by
32227 posts

Fa, You might want to have a look at This Website as they have a good selection of different types of Money Belts (look for the "Moneybelts" link in the "Small Bags & Wallets" tab at the top of the page). You might be able to find an ankle or other model that works for you. I would NOT recommend keeping valuables in your Backpack, as that's the first place pickpockets often look. Happy travels!

Posted by
977 posts

Instead of wearing your money belt at the front, wear it so it sits in the small of your back. Keep your valuables in your back pack at your peril.

Posted by
92 posts

I also wear my money belt at the back. I have found the most comfortable way for me is to cut off the elastic straps and use medium sized safety pins to pin the top of the money belt to the back of the pants, at the base of the waistband. It stays there all day and I don't even notice it. I do use a heavier weight zip-loc type bag with the top cut off and folded over the contents to keep stuff dry if I'm traveling in a hot climate.

Posted by
187 posts

I am a petite traveler and the most comfortable money belt for me is the style with the belt loop. If you check the Magellans website listed above it is the Eagle Creek hidden pocket. The loop slips over your belt and the money belt is under your slacks and it is quite comfortable.

Posted by
41 posts

Thanks y'all.
mmmm.. the belt loop is kind of big for me (my waist is 22-23in). I think I can be safe with messenger bag type... :/??

Posted by
355 posts

No, a message bag is not safe. You want to keep your valuables somewhere that are not accessible without undressing. Basically you want it so no one can rob you without also getting charged with attempted rape. If you are wearing a belt...you can use something like this.... http://www.magellans.com/store/Small_Bags___Wallets___Wallets___Money_BeltsSV627 Or you could try something like this.... http://www.amazon.com/Bra-Stash-Personal-Security-Wallet/dp/B000BQW8AS -- You might be able to make your own. If you are handy sewing and aren't bringing a lot of different pants. You could sew a pocket on the inside of each pair. (I have a friend who does this)

Posted by
29 posts

I'm not the friend ed mentioned, but I do make my own inner pockets for my traveling slacks. I use polyester lining fabric and make the pocket about an inch deeper than my passport and half an inch wider. I put little pieces of velcro on the top to hold the pocket closed. The pocket is attached at the waistband seamline and hangs down about half-way between the front center seam and the side seam. The lining fabric is thin enough that the pocket is not at all visible when there's nothing in it. Since I don't wear my slacks tight (have to save room for all the great "food souvenirs" I bring home), the only person who knows something is there is the pat-down TSA official. Credit cards, big money, passport and other important stuff goes in that inner pocket. I'm a relatively small person (although no longer 88 pounds), and I find that this type of hanging pocket is much more comfortable and cooler than a money belt. And if someone gets to my inner pocket, I've probably got worse problems than a lost passport! I also put a hidden zipper pocket inside the regular slacks pocket for daily spending money, transportation tokens, and anything else I would be annoyed--but not horribly inconvenienced--to lose. Saf-T-Pockets has patterns for women's slacks, jackets, and vests with hidden or inside or zippered pockets. Anyone who sews can use the same ideas with any pattern or to retro-fit purchased garments.

Posted by
122 posts

I use a leg moneybelt and I love it. You can find them in a variety of websites including Amazon.

Posted by
95 posts

A leg moneybelt works. I've worn my neck bag over my shoulder, like a messenger bag, but under my clothes. Another thing I tried, although at home, not traveling, was to wear the neck bag around my waist, tucked into my jeans like a pocket. It was comfortable for 6 hours, but I haven't tried it all day yet.