Please sign in to post.

Money Belt

Hi everyone!

(First, just to make sure, I don't want to start the whole money belt or not debate again.)

I was in New York this weekend on a trip with my college. I personally decided not to bring my money belt because we had a safe back at the hotel and I let everything I was afraid to get stolen there.
This one girl brought her money belt and put everything in it. What I found weird was that she let all her money and would go get money in it when she needed (in totally public places, like restaurants and shops). I mentioned to her that she probably shouldn't do that in public. I couldn't really think of good reasons why someone shouldn't do that (apart from the fact that you look really weird).
What do you guys think? I know New York probably isn't the safest place and that you might get your wallet stolen or something. But not carrying some money for the day in your pocket or purse and having to go in your money belt all the time just seems weird to me.

Posted by
919 posts

I think that's a bit weird too. My Rome guide (RS tour) did that too, and she seemed comfortable doing so. It would completely freak me out (not to mention, if I did it, I might get cited for indecency!). If I need to get anything out of my money belt while I'm out and about, I find a restroom and lock myself in a stall to access it.

Posted by
1170 posts

Doesn't that defeat the purpose????

I'm with Teresa. If you must get something out the money belt, it seems like the logical thing to do is to find a safe, secure, private place. Otherwise one might as well just hang the thing out in the open like a small purse, lol

Posted by
23547 posts

This is the continuing debate on the PROPER usage of a money belt. There a lot of people who use it as you described -- basically a somewhat concealed billfold worn in front at the belt line for easy access. Probably better than rear pocket or even front pocket billfold or a purse or day bag. But as you noticed it looks a little funny and it certainly ids where you are keeping your funds. May prevent a pickpocket but not a mugging.

Then, of course, there is the other group that constantly preaches about the proper usage which is well out of sight under your clothes and most likely in the middle of the small part of your back which is only accessible in very private settings. The discuss is nearly endless because each side believes their method is the best.

Posted by
3313 posts

I have a small business card wallet that I take with me and use to keep the day's cash and possibly one credit card. I use the money belt to store the balance of my cash, passports and cards. I used to keep my plane tickets in a ziplock bag (the money belts do get sweaty...) but now I keep the printouts of my ticket information. In vacation photos, I look like I'm carrying 10 more pounds, but everything necessary for the continuance of our trip is secure.

Posted by
401 posts

I'll never forget when my uncle came to visit and we took him to this fancy restaurant in Citta Alta in Bergamo, one of the wealthiest parts of the city. They bring the bill and he breaks out with his money belt to pay! My husband later asked me why he was getting money out of his underwear to pay, it wasn't like he was in any danger of having his pocket picked. He made a brutta figura.

Posted by
12313 posts

I position my money belt in front with the zipper out just below my belt line (outside my shirt if it's tucked in). If I had to, I could access it without being too akward.

I carry my daily cash in a front pocket and only access my money belt in a toilet or hotel room. One obvious reason is I don't want people to see that I have a stash of valuables on my person.

Another reason is each time I get into my money belt, I risk accidentaly dropping and losing something. If you get into your moneybelt regularly on the street, you are likely to hurry and not have a clear view of what is being pulled out of your belt.

A neck pouch might be a better wallet/purse alternative if you need to access it regularly but it doesn't solve the first problem of letting everyone know where your valuables are.

Posted by
16033 posts

Ususally have two moneybelts....the main one, carrying my passport, major documents, credit cards and the bulk of my cash, I wear on my side between my legs and my inner pants legs. It's attached to my belt and can't be seen. I think this is more comfortable than the one you wear around your waist.

The second one is one I wear around my neck. It carries extra daily cash, and once credit card. It is easily gotten to if needed.

Coins and about $20 in local currency is kept in my front pocket.

This may seem like overkill but I never want to have to access my main moneybelt in public nor do I want to keep much money in my pocket to help enrich the lives of thieves.