Please sign in to post.

money belt

i will be backpacking in all different parts of europe in july/august. I bought the RS neck money belt for the mani stuff and will carry a day bag.... i wasnt thinking before but i dont wear baggy tshirts and my money belt will be showing through a lot while traveling... i know this defeats the purpose, and i really dont want to carry my passport and ccs in my day bag... ill worry too much... any suggestions? i think if i tighted the neck part and wear in aroung my waist it wont be so bad... has anyone done this?

Posted by
15016 posts

If you can get it on your waist so it doesn't fall off, that's good. Others wear it holster style where you put it around your neck, but the wallet itself rests under your arm, on our side, just below the armpit.

The other option is to get a different style of moneybelt...the ones you wear around your waist, the ones that attach to your belt and worn inside your pants, and there's even one that attaches to a bra.

I don't suggest the one that straps around your leg as they seem to fall down a lot.

Posted by
1883 posts

This is my new favorite money belt. It doesn't go around your waist...and it's so much easier to access than the "fanny belt" type.

http://eaglecreek.com/accessories/security_id/UnderCover-Hidden-Pocket-40024/

I've used it for my last 3 trips. It fits over a small belt on my pants, and can easily be pulled out when you need your passport or credit card, or extra cash.

I don't like the neck pouches, they are too big and bulky, and the neck cord is uncomfortable. Any weight in them at all, and my neck is sore in an hour!

Posted by
15016 posts

The one Ellen mentioned is the one I've used for years. Just bought another one. I bought one 16 years ago and it's still fine but now being used for in my home as a place to "stash cash."

Posted by
92 posts

This may sound like a hassle.. but it works really well for me. I cut off the belt of the Rick Steves silk moneybelt we received as part of our tour packet and used 3 small safety pins to pin it to the bottom of the inside waistband at the back of my pants. It sits in the small of my back and I really don't feel it all day. I had found many other ways of wearing a moneybelt to be uncomfortable. I carry an Eagle Creek "priority pouch" as a small purse for the day's cash, chapstick, a small notebook, etc.

Posted by
1455 posts

The bra type is only for cc's and cash. It won't hold documents or passports.

Ellen, the one you suggested looks great. Too bad I leave in 2 days :(

Posted by
15016 posts

MIchelle, lots of stores carry Eagle Creek products. Go to their website and they will give you a list of stores in your area that carry their products. That doesn't mean they carry the money belt you want, but its a start--and a popular item.

I just ordered stuff from a company called discountluggage.com They are in your area and have a store as well as mail order.

Posted by
158 posts

I wore a money belt aroung my waist and other than getting a little "bent" it worked....

My Dad used the necklace kind.......

you could make the necklace kind work but I never tried it........

Posted by
36 posts

I used a money belt but I wore it low under the navel just behind the top of my pants and it worked great!

Posted by
12172 posts

If you wear tight shirts, you should get a money belt for your waste. It's probably better to spend some money for one made for your waste than to use a neck pouch around your waste. You should be able to find one at AAA, Target, Walmart or any department store that sells luggage.

Look for one that is plastic lined or else put your documents in a ziplock bag to keep them from getting soaked with sweat.

Posted by
3207 posts

I love the leg belt. I've worn one for years and never had it slip down. I forget it's there, unlike waist or shoulder belts. Naturally, if you favor skirts the leg
belt won't work.

Posted by
808 posts

Christy
You could always "modify" your moneybelt similar to what Nancy described.
I'm not comfortable with the feeling of a moneybelt strap around my waist no matter how many different brands or positions I try...

I ended up taking my belt of choice to a good Tailor. We designed a method of interchangeable zippers for the pouch portion to be attachable and detachable from my Pants or Skirts. (You can position the zipper track at the front or back of your garment, whichever you prefer.)

A second track of zipper was sewn into each piece of travel clothing. That way there is no need for the belt portion. It works very well. Everyone who sees it thinks it's a good system. I'll never go back to wearing a regular, unmodified moneybelt.