Please sign in to post.

Monaco, Venice and Santorini

I'm planning a 14-day trip flying from NYC to Monaco (Nice) in late August/September or December. I would like know which time either late August/September or December would be better in terms of price, things to do, etc.

Also, how feasible it is to travel from Monaco to Venice by bus, rental car or train and then fly from Venice to Santorini. From Santorini, I would like to visit Athens and Mykonos, perhaps by ferry or air. Any recommendations as to the best way (meaning cheapest and more convenient) to travel to these different places? Thanks!

Posted by
11613 posts

Start with a map. Then check Rome2rio.com for time/distances, and different types of transportation.

It would be cheaper to fly between those cities. Off-season, ferry schedules and flights are less frequent.

Ten days is not much time to cover these many places so far apart. You list five locations in three different countries.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you, Zoe. I thought that spending one day in each Santorini, Athens and Mykonos would be okay. The previous 7 days would be in Monaco and Venice. I will add days to my schedule to make it 14 days.

Posted by
32219 posts

Given that you plan to visit Monaco, Venice and Greece, it would be much better to travel in September. August would not be my choice as it will be busier and more crowded. Another point is that the Greek Islands pretty much shut down in the winter, so December would not be the best time.

Travel by train from Nice to Venice is going to take about eight hours, even using high speed trains for part of the route. You could also consider a flight with easyJet from Nice to Venice, as that will be quicker.

There should be flights available from Venice to Santorini (possibly with a layover in Athens), but I haven't checked. Flights will be easier to find in September than in December, and Ferries between the islands will be more frequent so that's another reason to travel in the fall.

Posted by
6113 posts

December isn't a great time to be visiting the Greek islands. Athens, Santorini and Mykonos in three days is one of the craziest itineraries I have seen on this forum! Santorini to Athens by ferry is c 8 hours.

Unless you want to spend your entire time in transit, you need to scale back your number of destinations or double the length of your stay.

The quickest route between all your destinations is to fly. Flights have been available for months and the best priced seats for August/September will have sold out months ago, but you should still be able to get seats. Check websites such as Skyscanner for routes and prices.

Posted by
32849 posts

You have had plenty of answers before I found your question, but I will chip in to say that if you plan to go to Venice in December plan to be chilled to the bone. Between the biting wind, the cold, the fog and the rain it isn't very welcoming to a first-timer.

Monaco can be nicer at that time of year, but no guarantees.

Train Monaco to Venice is fastest, but still a long long way.